The Zishan dsd's corner
Dec 3, 2016 at 3:31 PM Post #137 of 3,711
This is strange. When I put the upgrade files on an empty micro SD, do a hard reset and turn the Zishan on by pressing the power button 3 sec it does a firmware upgrade (0.4d > 0.4d, it installs the system new, interface is chinese afterwards) - so the card reader works! But even after the upgrade the problem persists, as soon as any micro SD is inserted (even the one it installed the upgrade files from before, now empty) the screen starts to display funny binary patterns and nothing works anymore, hard reset needed.

Still works as a DAC over USB. But as a mobile player it has become useless.

I'm sorry that's sad to receive a brand new player that fails it that way and so soon. I hope that he seller responds as he must and so you can send it back if no other solution is possible as it seems.

Dec 3, 2016 at 4:07 PM Post #138 of 3,711
  Looks like I may not be able to do the comparison. The Zishan DSD has not survived the first 24h burn-in. I just took it up only to found the system completely messed up. Screen is lit but shows nothing, after a hard reset does not work either: Starts up without SD card ok, but as soon as a micro SD is inserted (any card, also completely empty ones) screens starts flashing with binary patterns and nothing works anymore. I'll try to revive it by unplugging the battery later but am I am bit p*ssed now. This should not happen!

Sorry to hear this. Is there an option to factory restore the player.

Dec 3, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #139 of 3,711
A master degree in electrical engineering helps... Thank goodness the Zishan is not glued shut like most other players! I did put on my 'I void warranties!' t-shirt ( http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/8f52/ ) and went to work.

Turned out a hardware glitch caused by sloppy soldering on the CPU pcb.
angry_face.gif
A thermal-triggered short at the micro SD slot and I also found two additonal, potential faulty joints. I fixed & resoldered everything and rechecked in the microscope. No issues on the the audio pcb btw.

So its working again!
beyersmile.png
My advise to the Zishan guys is to step up their QA, a short burn-in would have revealed the issue in the factory.

Here are some images of the Zishan guts, just for completeness...
tongue.gif

Dec 6, 2016 at 12:02 AM Post #147 of 3,711
No, not with FW 0.4d

My advise is to use

https://www.freac.org/index.php/en

to convert the AAC to FLAC. Size will increase but the process is lossless and the Zishan plays FLAC nicely.

Dec 6, 2016 at 1:07 AM Post #149 of 3,711
suport 128gb sd card?

Have not tried (only a 32 GB here) but the description for the eBay offer talks about up to 256GB, however only as FAT32.

So any larger microSD card (which comes formated as exFAT) will not work out-of-box but needs to be formated with a tool alike

http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/guiformat.htm

Dec 6, 2016 at 3:27 AM Post #150 of 3,711
Sry noob question here. The taobao link provided if i purchase the package does it comes with the metal outer casing? Cant comprehend chinese

Users who are viewing this thread

Back