The Y-Split Thread
Oct 26, 2011 at 3:09 PM Post #16 of 54

Quote:
I just bought the quables y-split. it's a little bulky but it looks really professional. Only lesson learned is that I need to superglue my wires to keep the twists from unwinding overtime. Parachute cord is also the worlds best sleeving. It's tight over 4 conductors, and a tad loose over 2, but it will work for both, it's low profile, it's soft, tangle resistant, and not microphonic in the least bit so far as I can tell.

Is that the snap on Qables one featured in a post above, as if so I can't help but think it looks hideous XD I'm glad you mentioned paracord though, I was wondering how you use it exactly as I thought it had cords at its centre? I'd love to know how to use it as the styles it comes in are perfect for sleeving. 

Cheers for any info dude! :D

Oct 26, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #17 of 54
Is that the snap on Qables one featured in a post above, as if so I can't help but think it looks hideous XD I'm glad you mentioned paracord though, I was wondering how you use it exactly as I thought it had cords at its centre? I'd love to know how to use it as the styles it comes in are perfect for sleeving. 

Cheers for any info dude! :D

There are cords in paracord. You pull them out and you're left with the outer sleeve which you can use like any other cable sleeve at that point.

And I have to agree, the big plastic Ys look pretty ugly, I'd prefer a heat shrink at the split personally.

Mar 26, 2012 at 1:18 PM Post #19 of 54
I love this thread.

Here's my latest:

I could have left it there, but I wanted a structure at the split.  Enter my spare mini-XLR with rubber bushing.  Bye bye bushing!

Press fit.  I was urgently tempted to leave it like this.

Alas,  I covered it in heat shrink.  Better results are likely with 3:1... I had cheap stuff.

Mar 27, 2012 at 1:56 AM Post #21 of 54
Using an extra Neutrik mini TRS barrel and shrink tubing. 

May 29, 2012 at 1:00 AM Post #22 of 54
I built two RCA-terminated cables recently. I solved the Y-splits with these: http://www.wirecare.com/products.asp?prodline=CPN

For the UNcovered Mogami 2534 Quad, I used the 6mm cable pants.

For the other Quad cable that was sheathed with nylon multifilament, I used the 7mm cable pants. Both look professional and clean.

Note: I attached the RCA plugs directly to the end of the cable pants like this: 

Jan 15, 2014 at 12:17 AM Post #23 of 54
I love this thread.

Here's my latest:

I could have left it there, but I wanted a structure at the split.  Enter my spare mini-XLR with rubber bushing.  Bye bye bushing!

Press fit.  I was urgently tempted to leave it like this.

Alas,  I covered it in heat shrink.  Better results are likely with 3:1... I had cheap stuff.

What wire is this?

Feb 21, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #26 of 54
Here are a few options that I like.

http://www.yewaudio.com/ - Makes fantastic custom Y-splits out of wood and acrylic of many styles. Also does matching connectors if you want.
Prices are more than reasonable considering the rest of the competition and really a total lack of options out there. Website is under construction right now but you can still contact him. 
He does great work. 
Example:

http://www.doublehelixcables.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=4&products_id=118 
Newly released Y-split by DHC. Looks great; Small, light, and sexy. Still a handful of free upgrade finished available since they are new.
Current pre-order price is $9.99. On the expensive side but not bad at all when you consider the quality, and again the lack of other options.
Only weighs 4 grams!

Finally, look for local places that sell beads. I found some really cool shops near Laguna Beach with what seems like and endless selection of beads. Keep a drill handy and you can make some pretty sweet custom Y-splits. Sorry, no picture examples for this one.; However, I did do two projects with woods bead from Hobby Lobby.

For these, I like to place some heatshrink underneath until it feels like it will compress and be snug when sliding the bead over it. Then I add a small bit of super glue on the heatshrink and slide the bead into place over it. I usually do it snug enough so no glue is needed, but I figure it's a good habit to put a little bit for thermo expansion during season changes. 

I lied, one more and I'll stop the TL;DR post. Lunashops.com. Search for "y split". You'll come up with a few results that look similar to this:
They are intended for IEM/CIEM cables but could be used on normal cans depending on the style you go with. Cheap and worth a shot, but shipping takes a while. Just order some, forget about it, and then be surprised when they arrive. 

Feb 22, 2014 at 12:56 PM Post #28 of 54
For French people / Europeans: http://www.audiophonics.fr/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=splitter&search_in_description=0&x=0&y=0

The Viablue ones are pretty nice.

Feb 26, 2014 at 5:45 PM Post #29 of 54
  For French people / Europeans: http://www.audiophonics.fr/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=splitter&search_in_description=0&x=0&y=0

The Viablue ones are pretty nice.

Viablue offer a smaller one now, i will try and take a pic of one when i can. Not a fan of Y splits you have to hold in place with some sort of glue/hot glue.

Some small one's i use on my cables,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back