The Y-Split Thread

1. bharris
    My favorite splitter is this one from plusSound. It's nice and small and understated.

http://www.plussoundaudio.com/diy/parts.html

2. SVTong
    CasingSplit.jpg

Here's a potato quality pic of a cable I'm working on right now.  I used a 45ACP bullet casing with the primer pocket drilled out for the Y-split and a 223REM rifle casing with the neck cut off for the 3.5mm plug handle.  I built up a few layers of heatshrink on the cable and then press-fit the casings into place.

WallofHooligans likes this.
  3. andrewcox79
    I'm planning to make a few headphone cables soon, and wondering, is a Y-split even necessary (if you're braiding)?

If you're braiding four wires then switch to two twisted pairs, would it actually come undone without a Y-split of some sort? So far I've only made a pair of speaker cables (following these instructions: http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-your-own-audiophile-quality-speaker-cables/) but that was four wires per cable, transferring to two twisted pairs at each end, and it worked just fine without a splitter.

4. bharris
    It won't necessarily come undone but it might be harder to keep tension in the braid. You don't need a splitter but at least use some heat shrink. A small bit on each side, left and right and one over all four wires is plenty to keep it held together.

5. Denio
    I have recently finished a headphone jack to RCA splitter cable using the Viablue splitter, which is allright for the job. Cable is Mogami to Klotz and sleeving is Techflex. Terminations are Neutrik/Rean and HiCon. It gets the job done perfectly fine.

IMG_2508.JPG IMG_2512.JPG

6. Detroit1
    WP_20170911_18_07_12_Rich.jpg

I am using the smallest ViaBlue splitter (the NF-A7) on a headphone cable using a Mogami Neglex Quad cable. It is not as bulky as the other ViaBlue splitters and does a good job of making the y-split look fairly attractive.