The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Feb 23, 2011 at 8:40 AM Post #2,266 of 5,721

Quote:
same Asio plugin works without issues for me in winamp,Kernel Steaming usually give me issues in winamp when it some times make my sounds speed up and sound like chimpmucks. As for Op-amps I been using 2x OPA2107APs in my I/v for a while now. I using Uni Xonar 1793 drivers but I notice the volume being boosted too.

Try the new WASAPI plug in. I installed it yesterday, and i think it works better than ASIO or KS. It also doesnt slow down your winamp at all.

Feb 23, 2011 at 10:39 AM Post #2,267 of 5,721
ASIO is messed up with new drivers. I can't play 24/88.2 FLAC files on Foobar anymore(worked fine before) without DSP software resampling first. I know that ST does not natively support 88.2/176.4, but I much preffer that ST itself will handle resampling, not foobar's DSP.

Any suggestions?

Feb 24, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #2,269 of 5,721
I have a mATX board and wanted to run crossfire video cards + my ST on the same board, problem with that is the second video card covers the only PCI slot. So, I though I could use this cable http://www.aerocooler.com/shop.cart?action=ITEM&prod_id=RIC152CX
 which worked but any of the analogue outs had really really bad noise in it, especially if you cranked up a game. This did not happen when it was connected directly to the PCI slot. 

</2cents>

Feb 25, 2011 at 3:25 PM Post #2,270 of 5,721

Quote:
ASIO is messed up with new drivers. I can't play 24/88.2 FLAC files on Foobar anymore(worked fine before) without DSP software resampling first. I know that ST does not natively support 88.2/176.4, but I much preffer that ST itself will handle resampling, not foobar's DSP.

Any suggestions?

I'm using the Xonar Unified drivers v1.30 which includes the 1793 driver core.  Under foobar and ASIO, I'm able to play 24/88 files - it shows as 88.2kHz on my external DAC connected to the coax out.  How do you know it is resampling in software?  Did you manually set it that way, or is there a way to tell that it is resampling it behind the scenes?

Feb 25, 2011 at 3:43 PM Post #2,271 of 5,721
After combing through this long thread, I decided to take the plunge and try opamp rolling.  I thought I'd share my experience.  I tried the OPA2137P and the LME49720NA in the I/V section as these seem to be the most popular choices.  I got major distortion with the OPA2137P so out the door they went.  The LME49720NA in the I/V proved to be a major winner in my book.  I have the card paired with a Matrix M-Stage amp and Grado SR-325is headphones.  At first, I thought I liked the stock JRC opamps better due to what I perceived as a bigger soundstage, but after spending a few days with the LME49720NA, I think what I was hearing with the stock JRCs wasn't a bigger soundstage, but the fact that it was separating the left and right channel more than normal, giving the illusion of better soundstage, or at least better imaging.  The mids and lows were also not nearly as full with the stock opamps.  The added weight in the lows was a great addition to the 325is, since IMO the bass, while very good in quality, is lacking just a bit in quantity.  With the LME49720s in place, there was also a slight reduction in the mid-to-upper midrange brightness.  This was also a welcome addition since the Grado 325is tend to be a bit bright in that area anyways.  The highs were also better defined and perhaps extended a little further, and were perhaps a little brighter than the stock opamps.  Since I'm a treblehead, this too was a nice addition, though for users who find detailed highs fatiguing, this could be a con and not a plus.  Overall, I am extremely happy with my entire setup now - I was considering getting another source, probably some kind of DAC that could do at least 24/96 over USB - but now I'm not going to bother.  Thanks to all who made this thread great.

Edit: For a more aggressive sound (but not quite as bright/aggressive as stock), my current favorite setup is 2xLME49720NA (I/V) & 1xLM4562NA.  For a nice warm somewhat laid-back sound, 2xOPA2107AP (I/V) & 1xLME49720NA.

Feb 25, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #2,272 of 5,721
I tested and I have no problem playing 88.2 khz audio with foobar using ASIO and the new drivers.

Test track for reference: http://www.mastersfromtheirday.com/episode-2-annie-and-the-beekeepers-pie-studios/

Feb 25, 2011 at 6:41 PM Post #2,273 of 5,721
Well that is just super strange then. This is what I get, be it new "native" ST drivers or Xonar 1.30 unified(I've tried both):

"Unrecoverable playback error: The ASIO device does not support specified sample rate (88200Hz); please configure resampler appropriately"

The only way to play these files is to go to DSP manager, enable resampler and set it to 96khz.

Feb 25, 2011 at 7:35 PM Post #2,274 of 5,721
Hmmm, bad news then.  I'd say that, assuming you've updated to the latest version of foobar (there have been several releases recently) and you've recreated the ASIO settings in foobar ASIO virtual devices just to be safe, then it sounds like it may be a ST vs STX problem.  I'd bring it up with ASUS themselves.

Feb 25, 2011 at 9:07 PM Post #2,275 of 5,721
anyone know what the optimal volume settings are for the 3rd party uni driver for the stx?  I seem to recall that they should not be set all the way up to keep distortion low-- 78% rings a bell -- does this sound familiar to anyone?

I just loaded it and am giving it a whirl.  may even try it with cmp/cplay, which would not work with the stx as it lacked a 32 bit asio driver....

thanks for reading this,

Mark

Mar 1, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #2,276 of 5,721
Try installing the ASio 1.0 patch, to stop from having driver signature problem the pops up from using it, just run the install again but select to install the Asio 1.0 patch.

Mar 2, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #2,277 of 5,721

Quote:
anyone know what the optimal volume settings are for the 3rd party uni driver for the stx?  I seem to recall that they should not be set all the way up to keep distortion low-- 78% rings a bell -- does this sound familiar to anyone?

I just loaded it and am giving it a whirl.  may even try it with cmp/cplay, which would not work with the stx as it lacked a 32 bit asio driver....

thanks for reading this,

Mark

76%

Mar 4, 2011 at 12:35 PM Post #2,278 of 5,721
until now i wasn't able to listen to 88.2 kHz music without distortion or resampling. i tried both official and uni drivers. today i downloaded uni drivers 1.30 tet build 5 (24.02.2011) and i can at last listen to 88.2 kHz songs free of annoying distortion. finally drivers this card deserves. i'm using Win7 and foobar with ASIO. 

Mar 5, 2011 at 10:25 PM Post #2,280 of 5,721
 I am considering trying the Burr Brown OPA 627 in the I /V slots with these handy guys ( http://www.audiophileproducts.com/opamps   see OPA 627 Superchip), essentially 2 SOICS premounted on a DIP-8 adaptor. I've figured these seem like the right opamp from me because their darker, rich sound would balance out my bright Grado 325is, which with the stock opamps i find too bright and fatiguing. I've countlessly read up on many of the other opamps, but their characteristics don't seem to line up with what i'm looking for which is a visceral, natural and warm sound as opposed to distant, bright, larger soundstage etc.

My question is, has anyone tried the 627s in the Xonar essence STX? If so, observations? I understand the 637 would be a bad choice because of the higher gain it requires, but from what I can tell the 627 should work just fine.
Second, is there any significant benefit to using the line-out for my grados and playing around with the buffer op-amp? I realize that I could endlessly toy around with different combinations in the buffer and the I/V but I honestly don't have the time. My big goal here is simply to move away from the bright fatiguing sound to something warm and punchy, without losing too much detail of course and it seems to me that the 627 is the best choice given its reputation and description.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back