The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Mar 19, 2011 at 11:10 PM Post #2,296 of 5,721
Most likey he put it in backwards not facing the notch, or the adaptors on the pcb was not faced the right way on the adapter.

Mar 20, 2011 at 12:21 AM Post #2,297 of 5,721
I wonder...  I'd better have another look at those adapters again.  If the company that did them stuffed up I'll give them an earful...

EDIT: holy *&^% one of the ad797 soic is on the wrong way!!!  Good for nothing company.

BTW I bought from analoguemetric.com   
angry_face.gif

they could have killed my RS1 as well!

Mar 20, 2011 at 3:51 AM Post #2,298 of 5,721
Hey all,

I recently bought a pair of headphones, and find the stock opamps rather fatiguing with the extremely forward mids and trebles, despite amazing detail, and would prefer a more full-bodied, well-rounded sound.

I'm considering 2xLME49720NAs, as I also don't want to soldier anything and the like for fear of messing something up, and that I'm in a college dorm.

Would anyone mind chipping their two cents? Thanks!

Mar 20, 2011 at 7:34 PM Post #2,299 of 5,721

Quote:
I wonder...  I'd better have another look at those adapters again.  If the company that did them stuffed up I'll give them an earful...

EDIT: holy *&^% one of the ad797 soic is on the wrong way!!!  Good for nothing company.

BTW I bought from analoguemetric.com   
angry_face.gif

they could have killed my RS1 as well!

Well yeah you could definitely kill your STX if they're on the wrong way.

Mar 20, 2011 at 8:18 PM Post #2,300 of 5,721
I would compain to the company and try to get them to pay for your new card and your heapdhones since they was the ones who did the soliding wrong.

Mar 22, 2011 at 8:10 PM Post #2,302 of 5,721

Quote:
I can't seem to be able to set the volume at all when set to ASIO mode. It's locked at max. Has anyone found a way around this?

ASIO mode bypasses the windows mixer completely.  Upside: better sound.  Downside: no volume control or mute functions.  You will need to control the volume using your amp/dac/whatever, or using the volume slider in your media player.

Mar 22, 2011 at 9:34 PM Post #2,303 of 5,721
The only way to beable to control your volume in asio mode is to use Uni xonar driver's ASIO 1.0.patch.

Mar 28, 2011 at 8:39 AM Post #2,305 of 5,721
Just received OPA2111.  Nice warm, dynamic and musical sound, but bass could be tighter, even though it is present enough (or a little boosted - I have no reference apart fro other OPamps).  Details are really good - I perceive them as ahead of both OPA2107 and LT1057CN8, but the OPA2107 is closer than the LT1057.

OPA2107 by comparison is brighter, has tighter bass, much more forward treble which makes mids slightly recessed, and as far as I have heard, grainy treble. OPA2107 sounds faster if not any more dynamic, and seems to lose a little on musicality due to the lesser warmth conveying less tonal information.  Personally I find the OPA2107 dynamics a little exaggerated when paired with say my Grado RS1i - it tends to dramatise everything when a more smooth presentation would be more suitable.

LT1057CN had sweeter treble than either of the above two and a more dynamically constrained presentation - less bass, less soundstage and lesser dynamics create a flatter overall presentation.  Bass is tighter than OPA2111 and I generally found these to have good speed.

Overall I find the OPA2111 to be the best compromise - its less bright than the 2107, warmer, and has less harsh and forward treble, with the expense being some perceived speed is lost.  If only I could have the tight 2107 bass with the otherwise superior midrange and treble of the 2111.  Maybe discrete can provide this - but at this stage it is getting silly to invest in my ST as I am getting amp/dac soon...

Mar 28, 2011 at 10:22 AM Post #2,307 of 5,721
I've used adapters from auzentech successfully, but the ones I got from analogmetric were installed incorrectly on adapters and killed my card and a pair of earphones I used to test - nothing to do with fit though - they just made them wrong.

For clearance dual soic on adapter is the best bet (http://www.auzentech.com/site/products/opamp_637au.php) - they are expensive but well made.  Not sure I would pay that price though.  But to be honest, even the tallest dual soic I have clear the heat shield just fine.  The Auzentech anecdotally do have much better clearance and build quality, but again I'm not convinced it's worth it.

BTW check the minimum voltage rating for the 637 - I've read it may be too high for this application - maybe why auzentech describe it as having accent on high frequencies (vs 627 having accent on low frequencies).  Whoever you order from - make sure you check that they are installed correctly on the adapters.

Heres what they should NOT LOOK LIKE
angry_face.gif
.  Take a careful look at this careless quality control.  BTW I'm really liking the OPA2111 - the bass is not really all that slow, just slow-er.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back