The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jun 8, 2009 at 10:08 PM Post #181 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, I use foobar in KS w/ foobar...opening IE6 on XP SP3 while playing a track is fine, but w/ firefox3 there's an audible audio blank ?!
I've always found FF3 utterly slow to open up, but it's even killing foobar(which runs in high priority)..yes my HDD is defragmented
wink.gif

this slow opening time has always been very annoying anyway, but w/ my previous USB soundcard it didn't make any glitch...time to try Safari and Chrome
smily_headphones1.gif

ok so IE6 never makes any audible glitch, Chrome does make some when I close it and Safari when I open it(just like FF3)...this didn't occur w/ my previous M-Audio USB soundcard.

gonna have to resort to more obscure browsers I guess, like Opera or sumthing
mad.gif

I run foobar in high priority and its thread runs at the highest priority too...I guess the Asus driver doesn't.

EDIT: ok cool, Opera9 doesn't glitch
smily_headphones1.gif

EDIT2: after 3 days of burn-in, these metal 49720 are leaving me literally
images

Jun 9, 2009 at 7:48 AM Post #182 of 5,722
Hi, does anyone knows if this sound card has a good tension output and a low impedance on the two main RCA (I don't mind about TRS for the headphones).
I need numbers if it'spossible, I can't find them anywhere.

Thanks

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:12 AM Post #183 of 5,722
Finally some impressions with 3xLME49720's!

These remind me of the iGrados I once owned (and regret selling
frown.gif
though they were uncomfortable as hell). The first thing that comes to mind is: natural. These opamps take "the electronic edge" out of the music, so to say.

The selling point (heh, they were free) is that voices sounded magical, mids become smooth, almost liquidy. Bass did not change in amount, but did become tighter with more attack. Highs are about the same, perhaps a little less fatiguing.

Overall, a very musical opamp that is an absolute pleasure to listen to (both on the line-outs with speakers and yes, even the headphone out that I dreaded just a couple of posts ago).

Jun 11, 2009 at 2:45 PM Post #186 of 5,722
the measurements between NA and HA are identical, at least from what the datasheets and the National engineer I quoted on the previous page say.

the reason why the metal cans sound better than the NA is apparently unknown...but god, do they sound better!
soad698.gif

the low end bass is actually there, and the soundstage is ever so slightly wider and more refined...a freakin' miracle
albanel%20facepalm.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:09 PM Post #187 of 5,722
Quote:

the measurements between NA and HA are identical, at least from what the datasheets and the National engineer I quoted on the previous page say.

the reason why the metal cans sound better than the NA is apparently unknown...but god, do they sound better!
soad698.gif

the low end bass is actually there, and the soundstage is ever so slightly wider and more refined...a freakin' miracle
albanel%20facepalm.gif

Um, the LME49720HA only comes in TO99 doesn't it, so sorry to sound nub but, how did you get it to fit the DIP8 designed opamp spaces?

Got any pics of yours to help maybe?

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:23 PM Post #188 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Um, the LME49720HA only comes in TO99 doesn't it, so sorry to sound nub but, how did you get it to fit the DIP8 designed opamp spaces?

Got any pics of yours to help maybe?

They twist the lead to fit in the socket.
redface.gif

The HA designates the TO-99 part for this company. You can get dip8 version and SOIC version also.
The LME49720 has exactly the same specs and measurments as the LM4562 part line. Both opamps have been tested thoroughly since their release. National says the only difference is the part# on the chip.
Some say they hear a difference and some say no. Opinions vary.

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:33 PM Post #191 of 5,722
more connections = less clean signal.

and soldering these things is gonna be tough....but well
rolleyes.gif

that National engineer I quoted also bends TO99 to fit DIP8, let's assume that he knows what he's up to
wink.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 3:39 PM Post #192 of 5,722
What do you think you get with the leads hanging out there?
You obvisouly have no electrnoics experience as that would is a definate no-no and worse when considering audio electronics.
You can do it, but there are better ways such as using a adapter and I would bet the signal is much cleaner using the adapter then just poking the leads into the socket and having all the extra lead exposed to EMI/RFI.

Quote:

that National engineer I quoted also bends TO99 to fit DIP8, let's assume that he knows what he's up to
wink.gif

For Quick Testing!! -Let's assume the you can misunderstand anything you quote.
Pushing them into the socket is simply not the right way to do it.
If you don't care that is fine.

If you like them and aren't going to be changing them anymore, install them on those adapters and install the adapters on the STX. Remove the DIP socket altogether.
To trouble with installing them as you suggested is the connection is not solid.
If you want to install them as you suggest, go ahead but understand it is not correct and far from optimal for many reasons.
Your card, do with it as you will.

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:20 PM Post #193 of 5,722
using an adapter would have been easier (the soldering should take less than a couple of minutes ). But I was not sure if it still would fit the shield and since the adapters were not available locally so I just decided not to wait and went ahead with HA fitting.
I was very careful though to place the legs in their correct respective positions and not just to poke them.
I think it was worth the effort though unless the audiophile placebo is taking me over
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #194 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You obvisouly have no electrnoics experience as that would is a definate no-no and worse

all your base are belong to me
danamir_.gif

Jun 11, 2009 at 4:24 PM Post #195 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HA version form National are higher spec and tighter tolerance when fabricating. You could call them Mil Spec (Military Spec)

I am guessing it means that HA version goes through tighter quality control measures. Is that so?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back