The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jun 5, 2009 at 4:44 PM Post #151 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make that three in the STX -> M3 club
biggrin.gif
dt880smile.png

I'm feeding through the lineout as well and I found better SQ that way tbh + that I can hook up my AD700 to the headphone out so I can use Dolby Headphone while gaming
smily_headphones1.gif
. I have to put the volume to 1 (yes 1!) for the AD700's lol. Even then it's sometimes too loud thus I have to change the game volume in game.

Yeah thats what I'm doing
smily_headphones1.gif
Well Lineout to the Audioengine A5's then a pass-through into the M3.. and using the headphone jack for my gaming headphones.. great combo
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #152 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by G-Con /img/forum/go_quote.gif
leeperry: Haha, perhaps I should have been clear that my card was definately not fried by my attempts. [...] going to give it another go after work today.

you essentially need to trim them as short as possible, so the shield fits and the leads might introduce distortion and so if they're too long I think.

anyway, all I can say is that bass is back w/ a vengeance!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jun 5, 2009 at 5:24 PM Post #153 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
anyway, all I can say is that bass is back w/ a vengeance!
very_evil_smiley.gif

Bass response is really that much better on the HA's vs. NA's hmm?

Jun 5, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #155 of 5,721
BTW LME49720NA's are completely FREE (even the shipping) if you use a school or work e-mail address on the National website. I withheld with ordering samples until yesterday when I remembered ordering some LM4562's way back. Ordered 4 49720's for free =]

Jun 5, 2009 at 10:23 PM Post #156 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using the STX -> M3 as well though, through the line out. It seems you're using the headphone out to feet it into the M3... with I guess some kind of a 1/4 -> RCA splitter? If so.. why not just straight line-out?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chinesekiwi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Make that three in the STX -> M3 club
biggrin.gif
dt880smile.png

I'm feeding through the lineout as well and I found better SQ that way tbh + that I can hook up my AD700 to the headphone out so I can use Dolby Headphone while gaming
smily_headphones1.gif
. I have to put the volume to 1 (yes 1!) for the AD700's lol. Even then it's sometimes too loud thus I have to change the game volume in game.

Quote:

Yeah thats what I'm doing
smily_headphones1.gif
Well Lineout to the Audioengine A5's then a pass-through into the M3.. and using the headphone jack for my gaming headphones.. great combo
smily_headphones1.gif

I tried both extensively. With my setup (listed in my profile), the amped output (on the high gain) fed into the M^3 sounded the best. It depends on the opamps you use in the M^3.

Jun 5, 2009 at 11:31 PM Post #158 of 5,721
Quote:

Where did you get a 1/4 -> RCA IC?

Actually, those IC's are very common in recording circles, you could always solder up a custom one.
Is this what you mean, LINK
I use those for insert effects on audio mixers.

Jun 6, 2009 at 6:22 AM Post #159 of 5,721
Quote:

Where did you get a 1/4 -> RCA IC?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, those IC's are very common in recording circles, you could always solder up a custom one.
Is this what you mean, LINK
I use those for insert effects on audio mixers.

Yes, Rob has the right ones. The ones I specifically use are the Monster iCables. They are of decent quality. Here's the link: Monster® iCable® for iPod® and iPhone™

However, if you'd like even better RCA-to-mini cables, go to Blue Jeans' website and order from there. They cost under $50.

Jun 6, 2009 at 12:42 PM Post #160 of 5,721
OK, after 1 day of burn-in...the sound hasn't changed! great bass, super transparent upper spectrum and HUGE soundstage
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW, getting such a clear sound is nice and all, but distortion is simply inaudible...so I tend to listen REALLY too loud
rolleyes.gif

need to educate myself I guess
biggrin.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:31 PM Post #161 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, Rob has the right ones. The ones I specifically use are the Monster iCables. They are of decent quality. Here's the link: Monster® iCable® for iPod® and iPhone™

However, if you'd like even better RCA-to-mini cables, go to Blue Jeans' website and order from there. They cost under $50.

The ones you linked to are 3.5mm to dual RCA. Are you using a 1/4" to mini jack adapter on the end?

To note, A basic cable and adaptor set is good to have around especially if you get into connecting your soudncard to various audio devices.

I have a huge tupperware container filled with every kind of cable you can think of and a smaller tacklebox full of adpters. -Very handy when recording and using a mixer. I still run into situation where I don't have the right adapter or cable for the job.
atsmile.gif

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:51 PM Post #162 of 5,721
I'm just surprised that an amplified signal thats amplified again by the M3 wouldn't create some weird oscillation issues and that it wouldn't sound just.. bad... but apparently it sounds quite good .. to one person I understand, but I'm curious now to see if I'd like it too.. I just assumed that was a big no-no

Jun 6, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #163 of 5,721
It depends on how you look at it. Your basically driving one amplifier from another, actually that is done all the time in different ways.
Aslong as your not overdriving the inputs of your second amplifier you should be good.
Many might say it is frowned upon, but your gear and your ears. Enjoy.

Jun 7, 2009 at 8:50 PM Post #164 of 5,721
BTW, I use foobar in KS w/ foobar...opening IE6 on XP SP3 while playing a track is fine, but w/ firefox3 there's an audible audio blank ?!
I've always found FF3 utterly slow to open up, but it's even killing foobar(which runs in high priority)..yes my HDD is defragmented
wink.gif

this slow opening time has always been very annoying anyway, but w/ my previous USB soundcard it didn't make any glitch...time to try Safary and Chrome
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 8, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #165 of 5,721
Quote:

I'm just surprised that an amplified signal thats amplified again by the M3 wouldn't create some weird oscillation issues and that it wouldn't sound just.. bad... but apparently it sounds quite good .. to one person I understand, but I'm curious now to see if I'd like it too.. I just assumed that was a big no-no

Are you going to keep your system connected in this manner or are you going back to line-outs?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back