The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
May 27, 2009 at 7:56 PM Post #106 of 5,721
You're probably picking up EMI interference with the cables running through the middle of your computer, up to the front.. I'd recommend against using FP connections.. the jacks, the wiring, the molex connectors all scream cheapo.

May 27, 2009 at 9:08 PM Post #107 of 5,721
You are probably right, though I realy like to use the front panel connector.

Another thing is I noticed that the sound is different when you use windoes Vista vs. XP. I had duel boot setup so I had to install the drivers on both OS and I was able to find this out.

The sound in XP has more soundstage and it feels like there I am inside a chamber and there is a lot of depth. The vista sound same as before with the onboard sound, only with more clarity. Anyone else has this?

May 27, 2009 at 9:10 PM Post #108 of 5,721
People have noted a difference between XP and Vista sound with the positive nod generally going in the Vista's direction.. it has a lot to do with Vista apparently automatically bypassing the kmixer whereas XP you need to use something for it (asio, etc.)

May 27, 2009 at 9:16 PM Post #110 of 5,721
I still haven't decided whether I like XP or Vista sound better. They are different. The XP sound is something very new to me while the Vista is more familiar, thus comfortable. I will need to listen for a while to decide

May 27, 2009 at 11:43 PM Post #111 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it has a lot to do with Vista apparently automatically bypassing the kmixer whereas XP you need to use something for it (asio, etc.)

Vista also resamples in DirectSound by design...WASAPI exclusive is great, though
smily_headphones1.gif

hearing difference between bit-perfect API's(ASIO/DirectKS/WASAPI) sounds awkward to me....but some ppl say that some players sound better than others ?!

I guess you NEVER really know what the OS/audio drivers do in the back
ph34r.gif

this site measured that the ASIO component in foobar is pretty flaky : Universal Soldier: ASUS Xonar D2 PM Sound Card Review (page 9) - X-bit labs

I personally use DirectKS in foobar on XP SP3, so far so good!
L3000.gif

BTW, how is the games compatibility on this card? coz finding a working video playback solution was pretty damn hard(CoreAVC CUDA crashes XP instantly, and so does AC3Filter after a while
eek.gif
)....and I've read reports of BSOD's in games too...

May 28, 2009 at 7:04 AM Post #112 of 5,721
If you meant STX, Then I haven had any BSOD in any of my games and game demos I tried, But then I am on a HDAV and not a STX .But it should be fine since the drivers are nearly the same minus some small diffence.

Edit: only few needed me to disable GX but that was a no biggie for me any way.

May 28, 2009 at 2:18 PM Post #113 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by genclaymore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you meant STX, Then I haven had any BSOD in any of my games and game demos I tried, But then I am on a HDAV and not a STX .But it should be fine since the drivers are nearly the same minus some small diffence.

I have been using the STX probably longer then most and I have never seen a BSOD, ever.

May 28, 2009 at 4:34 PM Post #114 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by genclaymore /img/forum/go_quote.gif

right now, I'm in HiFi mode...you mean I should check the "GX" button to run games?

I use the Logic7 binaural downmix matrix for 5.1>stereo downmix, I guess GX is not using inverted phase for back speakers to create a pseudo-3D sound on headphones? David Griesinger is the god of mixing matrixes...far better than Dolby Headphone
devil_face.gif

music works perfectly fine in foobar/KS and movies in KMP w/ HR+Reclock in 48Hz+ffdshow audio&video
cool.gif

I'm not much of a gamer anyway, but BSOD's really make me sad....so I'd rather avoid that
atsmile.gif

I've received three TO99 49720 BTW, still waiting for the DIP8 holders/dummy TO99 from my friend to experiment.

May 28, 2009 at 6:05 PM Post #115 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I thought about regular electrician tape tbh, but having second thoughts I might just use a bit of Thermattach T412
smily_headphones1.gif

Does that tape conduct electricity? I can only find its thermal specifications; no reference to electrical conductivity.

I just got my LME49720HA's from digikey. Tonight I'm going to try getting them in without using an adapter.

May 28, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #117 of 5,721
Quote:

right now, I'm in HiFi mode...you mean I should check the "GX" button to run games?

I use the Logic7 binaural downmix matrix for 5.1>stereo downmix, I guess GX is not using inverted phase for back speakers to create a pseudo-3D sound on headphones? David Griesinger is the god of mixing matrixes...far better than Dolby Headphone
devil_face.gif

music works perfectly fine in foobar/KS and movies in KMP w/ HR+Reclock in 48Hz+ffdshow audio&video
cool.gif

I'm not much of a gamer anyway, but BSOD's really make me sad....so I'd rather avoid that
atsmile.gif

I've received three TO99 49720 BTW, still waiting for the DIP8 holders/dummy TO99 from my friend to experiment.

All GX mode does is enable EAX5/ H/W/Hardware openGL emulation/Surround sound(if game isnt using software mixer). Doesnt really matter if it off as DH works reguardless if turned on.

Gx mode doesnt enable DH, thats Game mode, and that game mode uses some stupid DH2 setting which adds a echo,So I manaully set it to DH1 when I gaming.Which doesnt have that echo and trash.

May 28, 2009 at 8:42 PM Post #118 of 5,721
yeah, I really can't stand DH personally..way too "wet", too hollow. the Logic7 matrixes are just very dry and very 3D, I use them in both ffdshow audio for 5.1 movies and foobar for DVD-A
smily_headphones1.gif

you can set most games to stereo, so I don't realy understand what the EAX fuss is all about....my previous M-Audio Audiophile USB had no "game" mode, and all the games I tried(mostly FPS like Crysis etc...) played just fine.

May 28, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #119 of 5,721
Quote:

devil_face.gif

Is this a software solution or does it need some hardware stuff to work ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back