The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
May 23, 2009 at 6:09 PM Post #76 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by hadouken /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Nice summary on a fantastic card, Telix.
smily_headphones1.gif

For me, the LM6172 op-amp's were great for my Sennheiser HD650, they were very bright and energetic which was great for livening up the senns. I would say that the LM6172's had a smaller soundstage which was also a good match for the HD650s as the soundstage was already quite large on them.

Now that I'm using my DT990's though, I've switched to the LME49720 op-amps to counter-act the DT990's smaller soundstage and already prominent highs. Seems like a good pairing so far.

That is really one of the best aspects of having opamps sockets is being able to tailor the frequency response to be a better match for the headphones or other gear your using.

May 23, 2009 at 6:42 PM Post #77 of 5,722
humm there's also bad reviews about the discrete op-amps, another one : diyAudio Forums - Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list - Page 475

I think I'll go TO99 49720, and I'll take it from there
smily_headphones1.gif

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LME49720HA-LM4...mZ280335048359

Quote:

We have introduced the more expensive HA version as we have found this screened opamp has more detail, bass and dynamics than the NA and MA versions.

sounds good to me
biggrin.gif

I love this very clean highly detailed audio, I'm really NOT looking for a tube/valve colored sound...and besides fitting them in the case will prove to be a major PITA.

BTW, in that PDF the guy explains why a discrete op-amp is -supposedly- so much better : http://www.johnhardyco.com/pdf/990-2007.pdf

PS: this might prove easier than bending the TO99 leads : https://02b9b87.netsolstores.com/to-...n020601-1.aspx

but that's some pretty extreme soldering
redface.gif

May 24, 2009 at 5:13 AM Post #78 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you get the extension wires? There is not enough room to fit those units side by side in the STX I/V section.

Of course I did
smile.gif

The more i read about it (either in good or in bad) the more impatient i become !!!

May 24, 2009 at 9:45 AM Post #80 of 5,722
one of these days I gonna get around of putting the LME49720 in my buffer to pair with my OPA2277's in I/V to see how they do with my Qinpu Q1.But first I have to pull my self away from 3x's OPA2277's.

May 24, 2009 at 1:53 PM Post #81 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by genclaymore /img/forum/go_quote.gif
one of these days I gonna get around of putting the LME49720 in my buffer to pair with my OPA2277's in I/V to see how they do with my Qinpu Q1.But first I have to pull my self away from 3x's OPA2277's.

There are many great combinations for I/V and buffer. If you have good combination enjoy it.

May 24, 2009 at 10:28 PM Post #84 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
did you check the AudioGD reviews on HCFR?

Which one ?

May 24, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #85 of 5,722
all the links in that page : homecinema-fr.com • Voir le sujet - Ampli Discret Audio-GD Earth Moon Sun

anyway the lossless soundtrack on the Kill Bill BD sounds nothing short of amazing now
smily_headphones1.gif

ppl complain about MP3, but DTS is way worse to my ears...so lossy! there's several reviews that tend to prove that 448kbits AC3 sounds better than 1.5mbit DTS...movies w/ lossless audio tracks are pure bliss to me
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2009 at 1:47 AM Post #86 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfourc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So I don't really know much about electronics. Which LM6172 and LME49720 opamps should I get? Or what's a good link or some quick info to learn about what kind of opamps work with the card? Thanks!

There are many different opamps version and types. The STX takes Dual channel opamps in DIP8 package.

You can use other audio opamps that are single channel or SOIC (surface Mount) but they will require adapters to work with the STX. Many audio grade opamps that people will suggest are surface mount and/or single channel units.

There are also TO-99 packages that are encased in metal cans. You can find these in single and dual channel units, use the appropriate adapters and install them on the STX. Good examples are OPA627SM and 637SM.

Hope this Helps.

May 25, 2009 at 2:28 AM Post #87 of 5,722
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There are many different opamps version and types. The STX takes Dual channel opamps in DIP8 package.

You can use other audio opamps that are single channel or SOIC (surface Mount) but they will require adapters to work with the STX. Many audio grade opamps that people will suggest are surface mount and/or single channel units.

There are also TO-99 packages that are encased in metal cans. You can find these in single and dual channel units, use the appropriate adapters and install them on the STX. Good examples are OPA627SM and 637SM.

Hope this Helps.

Thanks Rob, that was very helpful! I have a much better idea now about which versions of each chip I should I get. I ordered a some samples of the LME49720NA from National Semiconductor as some people have suggested (thanks leeperry). It's a steal considering I didn't have to pay anything (free shipping) with my .edu email address.

May 25, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #88 of 5,722
Quote:

So I don't really know much about electronics. Which LM6172 and LME49720 opamps should I get? Or what's a good link or some quick info to learn about what kind of opamps work with the card? Thanks!

Read the first freaking post.

May 25, 2009 at 11:55 AM Post #89 of 5,722
Quote:

Thanks Rob, that was very helpful! I have a much better idea now about which versions of each chip I should I get. I ordered a some samples of the LME49720NA from National Semiconductor as some people have suggested (thanks leeperry). It's a steal considering I didn't have to pay anything (free shipping) with my .edu email address.

Some like the LME49720NA, some say they sound the same as the LM4562NA's. The best way to know if you like any opamp is just to test it yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back