The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Nov 9, 2016 at 1:51 AM Post #5,431 of 5,721
the lows are much cleaner and is more pronounced, mids sound wider and is smoother. I love the smootheness of the highs. I find myself beeing able to put the volume abit louder without getting harsh or sharp tones. It has to be heard. Its a great upgrade compared to the stock. This was probably a bad description

No - that is a good description . It sounds like the sound I like hearing ! 
rolleyes.gif

Clean and unobtrusive .

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:43 AM Post #5,432 of 5,721
  I see . 

Could you please relate what sets the burson sound apart from other op amps ( describe the Sound Quality ) ?

For example , for hifi listening I have Class D Hypex mono-blocks , a vintage Class A/B Harman Kardon PM660 and custom built 300B Push Pull with inter-stage transformer mono-blocks . 

The Hypex amps are the epitome of neutrality , imaging is good , PRAT is spot on , bass control and definition is excellent ; BUT time and time again I am drawn back to the HK or 300B PP . Why ? Because of the " musicality " of these amps , they're an absolute pleasure to listen to , non-fatiguing . I can't wait to hear the 300B when I get home from work  . Almost every genre too - 'cept maybe some very fast deep electronic drum music ( Drum n Bass  and such the like ) .

What CV said you will notice things you never noticed before... I noticed such a difference that I pulled my Astro's off of digital for analog back before I had the HD 700's. The Astro A40's are almost horrible on any analog source... That being said with the bursons they sounded better than on their own digital amp that's designed for them. It literally makes things open up. I have not tested them on a audiophile headset yet. However, now that I own one I will be testing it as soon as Burson gets the Conductor Air to me. I will also be testing my STX 2 on it once they are able to find the problem with it. I will also leave my impressions on the Conductor Air here. I've heard it's amazing for a portable amp.

Edit: Considering it uses a Sabre ESS 9018 and the Burson V5i's I'm expecting a lot out of that little amp. We'll see =D

Nov 9, 2016 at 4:39 AM Post #5,433 of 5,721
  What CV said you will notice things you never noticed before... I noticed such a difference that I pulled my Astro's off of digital for analog back before I had the HD 700's. The Astro A40's are almost horrible on any analog source... That being said with the bursons they sounded better than on their own digital amp that's designed for them. It literally makes things open up. I have not tested them on a audiophile headset yet. However, now that I own one I will be testing it as soon as Burson gets the Conductor Air to me. I will also be testing my STX 2 on it once they are able to find the problem with it. I will also leave my impressions on the Conductor Air here. I've heard it's amazing for a portable amp.

Edit: Considering it uses a Sabre ESS 9018 and the Burson V5i's I'm expecting a lot out of that little amp. We'll see =D

I correlate "Open" to a depth in sound stage , contributing to image 3-dimensionality , and thus creating space between the different instruments /voices . The "Z" axis , as it were .

I'm sure the Conductor Air won't disappoint . 

Nov 9, 2016 at 3:56 PM Post #5,434 of 5,721
I've used the Burson Op Amps both in the STX and now in the STX II, since it became available. I've never had a problem. There's a huge jump in sound quality with the Bursons, and I would highly recommend them. They are worth the price. The new version Bursons are also a big jump in sound quality compared to the originals. I listen with Martin Logan ESL's and Audeze LCD-4's. I love the Bursons!

Nov 9, 2016 at 5:27 PM Post #5,436 of 5,721
  I've used the Burson Op Amps both in the STX and now in the STX II, since it became available. I've never had a problem. There's a huge jump in sound quality with the Bursons, and I would highly recommend them...

jimwallen,

Thanks for your reassuring words, as I’m eagerly awaiting arrival of Burson op amps for my new STX II. Just to clarify, about how long (years? months?) have you been running trouble-free Bursons in the STX II?

Nov 9, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #5,438 of 5,721
I love the Martin Logan ESL's. Clean, clear, airy. A subwoofer is recommended. Friends are astounded when they hear them, as was I. I have no regrets. Love 'em. The Audeze headphones, I can never say enough good things about them. I had the LCD-3's for two years and just upgraded to the LCD-4's. Quite pricey but the clarity, cleanness and airiness is the best I've ever heard. Before Audeze came along I had the Sennheiser 650's which are still a pretty good headphone, especially at their price. I bought both Audeze's straight from the company..Tony Hamilton..unheard and unseen, based only on reviews. I'd say just order them and enjoy. I doubt you'll send them back; speakers and headphones. Good luck.
-jim

Nov 10, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #5,440 of 5,721
  I used the 1st version Bursons for a year or two in the old STX and the new version Bursons in the new STX II for almost two years now. Trouble free and clean clear audio.

Hmm ... sounds like Jonathan Crouch's STX2 may be faulty then , in which case Asus should replace if still under warranty , right ?

Unless other mods have been done ( caps ect. ) I guess .

Nov 10, 2016 at 9:30 AM Post #5,442 of 5,721
My ears prefer the Burson Supreme Op Amps V5 above any chip. I've swapped out quite a few of the mentioned chips, but when I stumbled on the Burson's I found them to sound far better than the rest. Just my experience and opinion. -jim

Nov 12, 2016 at 9:06 PM Post #5,445 of 5,721
So im new into audio, i currently am looking to get a good pair of headphones, wether be the DT990 pRos or Soundmagic HP200. i have a Asus xonar STX 2 soundcard and was looking into getting new OP amps, what would be best to have the best sound quality instead of buying an amp such as the Schiit Magni 2 uber?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back