The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jun 27, 2009 at 8:35 AM Post #301 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you got them for free? I had to pay for shipping, US $15 for 3 of them.

I just clicked on the samples link and put my order just as with the NA's. Seem that to Sweden they're being shipped from Germany.

Jun 27, 2009 at 9:04 AM Post #302 of 5,721
how did you guys make them fit in the DIP socket? was it any hard to do so? i've never been known for being handy
normal_smile .gif

Jun 27, 2009 at 9:54 AM Post #304 of 5,721
Just a heads up to leeperry and the others who recommended the 49720HA's. I got some samples from National and put them in last night. Installation was easy following the advice on page 10.

I was previosuly using the 49720NA's but they just seemed to lack something but these rock! Thanks guys.

Jun 27, 2009 at 10:10 AM Post #305 of 5,721
it looks like even i should be able to do it
biggrin.gif
but there was a talk about pins not touching the case of can. what exactly it means? the DIP socket case, pcb or ...
confused.gif

btw, i just ordered HA samples now and had to pay for shipping and handling too since i used my gmail adress.

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:41 AM Post #306 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
but there was a talk about pins not touching the case of can. what exactly it means? the DIP socket case, pcb or ...
confused.gif

When you press down the HA's the pins get somewhat bent (of course). You should see to it that none of these make contact with the metal casing of the 49720HA itself. Shouldn't be a problem however and there's plenty of space above so it doesn't get in contact with the EMI shield.

Jun 27, 2009 at 11:59 AM Post #307 of 5,721
the STX metal shield is painted w/ non-conductive paint anyway, and you must trim them as short as possible...if they're higher than the caps, you didn't trim them short enough!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I was previosuly using the 49720NA's but they just seemed to lack something but these rock!

yes sir, they certainly do! the NA were indeed lacking..enjoy your new PRAT machine
rock.gif

Jun 27, 2009 at 12:30 PM Post #308 of 5,721
ok, thanks guys. i should receive them in a week. that's going to be a long wait. hard to imagine HA sounds even better than NA, this is going to be fun.

Jun 27, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #310 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
biggrin.gif
confused.gif

btw, i just ordered HA samples now and had to pay for shipping and handling too since i used my gmail adress.

"the case of the Can", I am guessing you mean the can of the opamp. Yes, be very carful as usually one of the pins is tied to the TO-99 can. -Pin 8 IIRC. If the can gets forced down or touches another pin you can have a serious problem.
Best way to go about this is to use an adapter.
LME49720HAadpter.jpg

Jun 27, 2009 at 3:18 PM Post #311 of 5,721
i was thinking about adapter but i'm not sure if the emi shield would fit afterwards. lets hope my lame hands will be up to the job
smile.gif

Jun 27, 2009 at 3:24 PM Post #312 of 5,721
Trouble with the way a few are doing this around here is you leave many points for failure. Pins can come out, get crossed, pushed down, arc'd out...Bad.
I have heard of doing this for basic tests but after that the opamp is secured and connected properly.
You don't have to use a adapter but realize that just jamming the pins into a dip 8 socket is very bad for the long term.

Jun 27, 2009 at 5:16 PM Post #313 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You don't have to use a adapter but realize that just jamming the pins into a dip 8 socket is very bad for the long term.

Could you elaborate on why it would be bad for the long term?

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:23 PM Post #314 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynips /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could you elaborate on why it would be bad for the long term?

This method is a example of poor workmanship. The leads are exposed. The inputs are very sensitive to noise and any EMI/RFI floating around.
I doesn't take very much for them to work loose either. As I said, I can see using this method for quick testing etc. For the long term, I doubt you would find anybody with good knowledge of electronics using this type of method for any length of time.
Opamps are very sensitive and good physical and electrical connections are very important. Keeping the lead lengths as small as possible is also very important.

Your card, your opamps....your choice.

Jun 27, 2009 at 6:29 PM Post #315 of 5,721
Ok, thanks for the input. I'll keep them as is for the moment. If anything goes wrong, I'm pretty much the only one who'll care anyway. If I start hearing strange artifacts I know this could be one source for the problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back