The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jul 3, 2009 at 3:08 PM Post #333 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
the thing about that adapter; TO-99 pins are supposed to go inside the DIP8 adapter extension legs and the only part sticking out would be the metal can, right? any pictures with TO-99 op-amps inside would be appreciated.

i've been looking for that adapter in europe e-shops. no luck so far. it looks like it's a very rare thing, not commonly used.

These ones are not that hard to find and they are very coomon. The models that are very hard to find are dual TO99 to DIP8.
Here is a link for the company that makes the To-99 to Dip8 adapters.->LINK
They do require soldering skills though.

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:38 PM Post #334 of 5,721
you mean soldering skills are required to make that adapter or for TO99 chips when attaching them to adapter? i hope its not the latter.

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:41 PM Post #335 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
These ones are not that hard to find and they are very coomon. The models that are very hard to find are dual TO99 to DIP8.
Here is a link for the company that makes the To-99 to Dip8 adapters.->LINK
They do require soldering skills though.

Somebody just told me that I don't need to solder a TO-88 to DIP-8 pin a few hours ago?!
He said that you just need to solder it if you find it loose
Is it just the problem of this product or all adapters?

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:47 PM Post #336 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you mean soldering skills are required to make that adapter or for TO99 chips when attaching them to adapter? i hope its not the latter.

You need to solder the TO-99 ONTO the Dip8-adapter.. then you can just push the whole thing into the Dip-8 socket on the Essence.

If you do NOT want to use the adapter, you can just clip the pins on the TO-99 chip and bend them and try and fit them inside the DIP-8 socket. This is not recommended though.

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:11 PM Post #337 of 5,721
Here is a pic of the adapter
TO99todip8-1.jpg

And with a TO-99 soldered on,
LME49720HAadpter.jpg

I put three into a STX and there is more then enough clearance so you can use the adapter/opamp modules and replace your sheild.

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:13 PM Post #338 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Eek. I don't like that idea.

From just simply looking at all the people that use the FP connections and noticing all the noises that the EMI puts into the wires, I'm very leery against taking that off.

I suspect, as ROBSCIX said, that the adapter would still allow installation of the EMI shield. If it doesn't though, there is no harm (IME) in removing the shield. I've tried listening with it on and off and I could not notice a difference in noise/interference, though it would depend on your specific case components. I recommend trying both ways to see if you can even hear a difference. The improved ventilation (of the opamps) may be worth more than the minuscule protection gained from the EMI shield.

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:15 PM Post #339 of 5,721
Yeah ROBSCIX is looking into the heating issue on the TO-99 opamps to see if its normal or oscillation induced.. but you're right, a little extra air going around there couldn't hurt

However he has confirmed that the shield will indeed fit even with adapter, so its just a choice thing now
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #340 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ansh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Somebody just told me that I don't need to solder a TO-88 to DIP-8 pin a few hours ago?!
He said that you just need to solder it if you find it loose
Is it just the problem of this product or all adapters?

Maybe he are thinking of a socket or something different. Most adapters I have seen that go from one foot print ot another E.g TO-99 to Dip8 -They require soldering.
The soldering produces solid physical and electrical joints between the opamps and the new pin footprint. There may be some type of adapters that don't require soldering but I have never seen them, or heard of them for that matter.

Jul 3, 2009 at 6:02 PM Post #341 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You need to solder the TO-99 ONTO the Dip8-adapter.. then you can just push the whole thing into the Dip-8 socket on the Essence.

If you do NOT want to use the adapter, you can just clip the pins on the TO-99 chip and bend them and try and fit them inside the DIP-8 socket. This is not recommended though.

i tried to clip the pins but wasn't able to do it. like i said, i'm anything but handy. my soldering skills are nonexistent, so i guess 49720HA will have to stay in the cabinet. at least i didn't have to pay for them
angry_face.gif

out of curiosity - when soldering TO-99 chip onto that adapter, people cut the pins shorter? they seem to be too long for that purpose.

Jul 3, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #342 of 5,721
Yes I installed thre LME's in browndoag adapters and re-instaleld the sheilding. Ther is enough room. Atleast a few mm between the top of the opamp and the sheild.

As for the TO-99, yes your trim the pins short so they are just a bit longer then the bottom of the adapter. Atleast that is the way I have always built them.

Jul 3, 2009 at 8:16 PM Post #343 of 5,721
So what's the final verdict on volume settings? I keep the speaker line-outs at 75% in Windows going to my amp, and the Essence Control Panel settings at the default 76% but it still bugs me.. At 100% it seems to have a little more bass and lose dynamic range but I could be wrong.

Jul 4, 2009 at 11:12 AM Post #344 of 5,721
ok I've just taken out the STX, the 49720HA were not hot AT ALL. I guess having a 25cm fan blowing at 1000rpm in the side door of my case took care of the problem.

I'm trying it w/ the NA atm, as I will be selling it w/ these....and sound is definitely different, more distant?

Jul 4, 2009 at 7:09 PM Post #345 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ok I've just taken out the STX, the 49720HA were not hot AT ALL. I guess having a 25cm fan blowing at 1000rpm in the side door of my case took care of the problem.

I'm trying it w/ the NA atm, as I will be selling it w/ these....and sound is definitely different, more distant?

If they are oscillating, putting a fan on them or a heatsink will not help as they are malfunctioning. If they are indeed malfunctioning and it is not fixed you will have much larger issues then just hot opamps.
redface.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back