The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jun 24, 2009 at 2:54 AM Post #271 of 5,721
The only way to set the sample rate you want to listen (44/48/96/192) is only through Xonar Essence console at the drop-down list, am I right?

then those Foobar---media monkey,etc...will play accordingly to what you've set in that console??????....there's no way to change required sample rate in the playing program.....is that so?

My system (Please advise me how to play bit perfect from this???)

Xonar Essence STX ---->Coax out--->Benchmark DAC1---->Balance out --->Pre

anyone please advise...

thanks

Jun 24, 2009 at 8:36 AM Post #272 of 5,721
^ you should use Asio drivers with Foobar and select appropriate sample rate in Essence console and pcm in spdi/f out. that should guarantee bit-perfect playback, sample rate and bit depth in Foobar will be greyed out if you use Asio.

i swapped 2x JRC2114 for 2x LME49720NA few days ago and am very happy with it. sound came to focus, it is less syrupy and warm. sibilance was reduced to the point where it doesn't bother me at all. it was big issue for me on the stock, same as sometimes unbearable harshness of trumpets. all gone now, trebles are very smooth. width and depth of soundstage has increased and sound is little bit more distant now, which works very well with K701. i'm hearing more details now, overall i would say transparency and clarity of LME49720 is much better over stock.

bass is not blurred anymore, it is accurate and somehow brought forward. it also have more punch, which is in contrary what others have been saying. maybe its a illusion created by the forwardness and accuracy. still it is more pronounced, i'm more aware of it now.
transients seem to be a little slower now, maybe it has to do with music having more body now.

when i look back JRC2114s were doing no justice to K701 in terms of harshness, transparency and music enjoyment. for me LME49720 is a big leap in SQ over stock. i would advise K701 owners to swap stock for something different. in my opinion, JRC2114 has very bad synergy with those phones. it's funny because i had been enjoying them even on stock but i couldn't anymore after i heard LME49720.

i'm going to try LM6172IN later in the week but bar has been set very high
k701smile.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:22 AM Post #273 of 5,721
yes, I wonder why Asus put these crappy 2114D to begin w/
confused.gif

prolly to save money...their product sounding bettter than the competition even w/ them
biggrin.gif

@perryoops: nope, you're right! any other soundcard will automatically set the right hardware samplerate(HT Omega, Creative, M-Audio, etc...) but not the Xonar cards!
if that annoys you, tell the Asus techsupport(ASUS Online Service), whine on the Asus forums...let them know!

@ROB6: I won't be feeding your lame troll attempts anymore...you've been on my ignore list for a long time and will stay there, so don't bother
biggrin.gif

Quote:

Are you sure you want to add Hadakan to your ignore list? YES
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 9:57 AM Post #274 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by dex85 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
bass is not blurred anymore, it is accurate and somehow brought forward. it also have more punch, which is in contrary what others have been saying. maybe its a illusion created by the forwardness and accuracy. still it is more pronounced, i'm more aware of it now.
transients seem to be a little slower now, maybe it has to do with music having more body now.

Isn't punch (in bass) and transients related as terms of describing music? Though I have a very different pair of headphones (DT 150) the transient punch of a snare drum (which uses bass, albeit not the lowest range) seems improved with the 2xLME49720NA. Not sure if you understand what I'm getting at...

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:00 AM Post #275 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ROB6: I won't be feeding your lame troll attempts anymore...you've been on my ignore list for a long time and will stay there, so don't bother
biggrin.gif

Deluded trolls that think they are being trolled are by far the worst kind. Also, how the hell are you still replying to Rob, if he's been on your ignore list for a long time? You can reply to posts you can't see? What's the reason to have him on your ignore list, when you still look at his posts and reply? What's wrong with you?

Jun 24, 2009 at 10:24 AM Post #276 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cynips /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Isn't punch (in bass) and transients related as terms of describing music? Though I have a very different pair of headphones (DT 150) the transient punch of a snare drum (which uses bass, albeit not the lowest range) seems improved with the 2xLME49720NA. Not sure if you understand what I'm getting at...

i'm no expert, but i too think there is a relation between weight(body) and transients. but not in the sense they are the same think. only in sense they affect each other. when i was talking about transients i meant the whole spectrum (especially mids and highs), it seems to me its slower than stock, but with more body. i agree that bass improved in pretty much everything over stock, but i'm not sure if it's faster now (at least with my cans). transient = speed, if i understand it right

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #277 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hadakan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Deluded trolls that think they are being trolled are by far the worst kind. Also, how the hell are you still replying to Rob, if he's been on your ignore list for a long time? You can reply to post you can't see? What's the reason to have on ignore list, when you still look at his posts and reply? What's wrong with you?

I do have to agree here. Leeperry, you sometimes have valuable information to share but half the time you're just being plain immature and blaming others for acts you're committing yourself. Tone it down and get back to discussing the topic without getting side-tracked by all these pointless arguments. This isn't the first time you've been warned about this either.

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:39 PM Post #278 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@perryoops: nope, you're right! any other soundcard will automatically set the right hardware samplerate(HT Omega, Creative, M-Audio, etc...)

No they do not. Some cards do but that's only when using ASIO. Why don't you get one of those soundcards then?

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:55 PM Post #279 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by maarek99 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No they do not. Some cards do but that's only when using ASIO. Why don't you get one of those soundcards then?

I've had a M-Audio Audiophile USB that never resampled and had an unlocked samplerate(whatever DS/KS/ASIO), M-Audio forbids SRC!

if I played a 44.1KHz file in DS, then simultaneously a 96Khz in ASIO...foobar would give an error msg "can't set hardware samplerate"...no resampling! same for ALL the Echo Digital/RME/Edirol soundcards!

and same even for the X-Fi based cards : X-Fi for Music Lovers: Auzentech X-Fi Prelude 7.1 in Detail (page 5) - X-bit labs

Quote:

All sounds reproduced through Windows will be converted to the basic sampling frequency you select in the Settings window. Automatic switching of the frequency is implemented only for ASIO.

the STX is a great product, now the drivers need to match its hardware excellence
beerchug.gif

any serious audio card should have an unlocked samplerate, and forbid SRC on KS/ASIO/WASAPI
evil_smiley.gif

resampling KS/ASIO/WASAPI is unacceptable.

ginap.jpg

I realize most n00bs couldn't care less, but if you do...whine to the Asus techsupport at once, your voice shall be heard
frown.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shahrose /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This isn't the first time you've been warned about this either.

warned? by who? are you my daddy pink cat?
biggrin.gif

I won't be feeding clueless illiterate trolls anymore, it's a waste of everybody's time...that, we fully agree
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 1:23 PM Post #280 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by perryoops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The only way to set the sample rate you want to listen (44/48/96/192) is only through Xonar Essence console at the drop-down list, am I right?

then those Foobar---media monkey,etc...will play accordingly to what you've set in that console??????....there's no way to change required sample rate in the playing program.....is that so?

My system (Please advise me how to play bit perfect from this???)

Xonar Essence STX ---->Coax out--->Benchmark DAC1---->Balance out --->Pre

anyone please advise...

thanks

Set your program for the bit depth and frequency you want and then set the STX to match. Simple as that.
wink.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 3:40 PM Post #281 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Set your program for the bit depth and frequency you want and then set the STX to match. Simple as that.
wink.gif

Thanks for all advices,

In STX console, I always set at 44.1........but for both Media Monkey or Foobar, If I use ASIO, it will always set to 24-bit.....but don't know where to set sample rates individually

frown.gif
frown.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #284 of 5,721
Quote:

Thanks LeePerry,

I assume that's for Foobar, right?.........have any idea for media monkey??

it's a global setting for the ASIO drivers, it should even remember after rebooting
wink.gif

but you'll still have to manually choose 44.1/48/96 in the drivers depending on whether you're listening to a CD(44.1), a DVD-A(96) or watching a movie(48).

also for DVD-A, you'll have to choose 24bit in the ASIO drivers....this is getting ridiculous, at least I'm using KS so I only have to worry about the samplerate
duggehsmile.png

Jun 24, 2009 at 4:31 PM Post #285 of 5,721
Quote:

.........have any idea for media monkey??

You would have to download and install the output plugin to the Media Monkey Plugin folder.

After that,

Edit ->Options-Under Player, select output plugins.

Select the ASIO output plugin and click configure. This wil give you access to the options avialable for the ASIO output plugin.
Most players are built in a similar way. Allowing you to configure the plugin in the same place you can select it for output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back