The Xonar Essence STX Q/A, tweaking, impressions thread
Jun 21, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #256 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by taso89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's no advantage to using ASIO4ALL (it's for people who don't have ASIO support on their sound cards), just use the Essence ASIO. As for the other options, maybe set quality to highest? Though you shouldn't really have to change anything. If you're using ASIO you're already bypassing kmixer.

OH...Thanks for the quick advice,

Do you play that with Media Monkey as well? How can I check what sample rates are they currently playing? b/c what I always see is 44.1....

--There is a small play icon on your taskbar for ASIO, where you can set the buffer size and else...........how can I set it correctly

thanks

Jun 21, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #257 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by perryoops /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi guys,
I just bought this great Xonar STX couple of weeks ago and I try to play with Media Monkey, (also like Foobar2000 too, but for the interface mm is better). Please help me with these.
1. How can I bypass kmixer or other program that might degrade sound quality (is it really working?)
2. I've install ASIO_all(dll) driver, and figure out that this Xonar STX also has its own ASIO driver, which one is better....anyone try out?
3. For ASIO Output setting, there are many options you can select such as Thread=?, quality=? gapless=?..........I don't have clue for all these......how can I set it up?

Thanks in advance
happy_face1.gif
happy_face1.gif
happy_face1.gif

The Essence STX has native ASIO drivers. ASIO4ALL is more for cards without native drivers allowing them to use ASIO.
Quick answer is use the native driver for the STX ASIO.
Enjoy.

Jun 23, 2009 at 3:51 PM Post #260 of 5,721
don't be so sorry, why so serious?
biggrin.gif

yeah I read that these are the 49710HA on the manufacturer's forum, these are the single versions of the 49720HA...still that ex-National employee said that more and more external gear would be using the metal versions.

Jun 23, 2009 at 5:17 PM Post #261 of 5,721
Yes, I know all about them. Thx.
In case you haven't figured it out, these chips are NOT new. The LM4562/LME497X series has been discusseed in great length in many fourms in relation to audio.
I am not sure how a ex-National employee would know what other companies are going to be using in their products.

Jun 23, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #263 of 5,721
This is a forum, If you post wrong information somebody will correct you. Isn't this way you come here to learn and discuss audio?
If you read the post, I was not correcting you just giving you further information on the topic.

As for the "Mr. DutchMaster", I am not Dutch.... Nor do I live anywhere near Europe.
You could have simply verified your incorrect information and would have saved you from putting your foot in your mouth yet again....MMM..foot!
Now, perhaps you can give the trolling a break and get back to audio?

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #264 of 5,721
Back to the STX and opamps:

There are a couple issue with the LME49721's. They are single channel and TO-99. They require a special adapter to be used properly. Further, this adapters cannot be found anywhere it would seem. -Atleast nowhere I have seen and I have looked for these adapters for many other units.
You could attempt to jam the various leads into the DIp8 socket but that is many points of faliure. Aside from this they are basically useless for the DIY soundcard opamp swapper unless you have a line on these adapters.

You could use a combination of commonly available adapters but these multiple layers can de-stabalize the opamps considering their speed and also bad for parasitic capacitance. The idea is generally frowned upon by technicians.

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #265 of 5,721
I said they looked "somewhat familiar"...where do you see the need to correct me exactly
rolleyes.gif

yes, they're more or less the same op-amp basically...single/dual versions LME497x0HA in metal case, that's all.

I value the informations from an ex-National engineer that gives free valuables advices more than from a web reviewer that only praises products....in order to get more freebies from the manufacturers? I hope Asus pays you back for all your hard work, coz you really do deserve it
wink.gif

And I hope you're preparing a fantastic paper for the ST review, and don't talk of any of the bad sides(shody drivers that resample if you don't select the right samplerate manually and require 3 resident apps, and all the cons xbitlabs.com has been mentioning like the noise level problem at 44.1 kHz or the sound being clearer on the headphones output : Two in One: Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card Review (page 5) - X-bit labs )

reviews that look like press releases are meaningless... even though the STX is truly astonishing, it still lacks in some departments
frown.gif

Jun 23, 2009 at 8:23 PM Post #266 of 5,721
Jun 23, 2009 at 10:13 PM Post #267 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by leeperry /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I said they looked "somewhat familiar"...where do you see the need to correct me exactly
rolleyes.gif

yes, they're more or less the same op-amp basically...single/dual versions LME497x0HA in metal case, that's all.

I value the informations from an ex-National engineer that gives free valuables advices more than from a web reviewer that only praises products....in order to get more freebies from the manufacturers? I hope Asus pays you back for all your hard work, coz you really do deserve it
wink.gif

And I hope you're preparing a fantastic paper for the ST review, and don't talk of any of the bad sides(shody drivers that resample if you don't select the right samplerate manually and require 3 resident apps, and all the cons xbitlabs.com has been mentioning like the noise level problem at 44.1 kHz or the sound being clearer on the headphones output : Two in One: Asus Xonar Essence STX Sound Card Review (page 5) - X-bit labs )

reviews that look like press releases are meaningless... even though the STX is truly astonishing, it still lacks in some departments
frown.gif

Yes Lee start trolling again.
BTW, if you want to start correct typos...your going to be a busy person.
Why don't you give the trolling a rest and try contributing to the forum for a change.

Jun 23, 2009 at 10:36 PM Post #268 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
BTW, if you want to start correct typos...your going to be a busy person.
Why don't you give the trolling a rest and try contributing to the forum for a change.

oh yes, fixing your typos is completely hopeless...otherwise you shall pay me a hefty load of cash
biggrin.gif

now I'm the troll? you're the one who keeps saying senseless stuff to begin w/...let's ignore each other anyway...we have nothing to share, you know it all already!
atsmile.gif

contribute to the forum? how does that work exactly? you've given all the good advices already
frown.gif
I've made +1000 posts of trolling as you know
rolleyes.gif

*BUT* if you really try to bend the 49721 to DIP8, please post pix kthx!!!
bigsmile_face.gif

Jun 24, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #270 of 5,721
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bojamijams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f105/i...ml#post5779087

Has anyone tried the amps the user posted in there? I know 1364 was tried by Shahrose and ultimately wasn't his final choice, but that one is two steps behind the others in this users experience. Anyone tried the LT1469

Have you tested the LT1496 yet? I have quite a few Linear tech opamps sent by a associate but I don't think I have tested the LM1496. I have really only had limited time to test any of the Linear models. That being said Linear's opamps are highly regarded by many for audio.
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back