The Woo Audio 2
Sep 29, 2010 at 11:37 AM Post #466 of 1,750

Quote:
Where can you find the Mullard 6080 at 17.50 each??? Give me some clue pls.

Right here:

http://langrex.co.uk/images/valves/6080%20Mullard.jpg

10 GBP each.

Oct 12, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #468 of 1,750
Is my tube a goner?

I just tried to put my new TS-7236 in my WA2 and felt something cracked, I took it out, and the small black plastic middle pin at the bottom of the tube broke and stayed in the socket. I managed to get it out of there, but the tube is now without it. Can I still use it? If I do, how will I know the direction of which to put it in the socket?

Put back the 5998 pair...  really wanted to hear the 7236 tonight
frown.gif

Oct 12, 2010 at 11:05 PM Post #469 of 1,750

Quote:
Is my tube a goner?

I just tried to put my new TS-7236 in my WA2 and felt something cracked, I took it out, and the small black plastic middle pin at the bottom of the tube broke and stayed in the socket. I managed to get it out of there, but the tube is now without it. Can I still use it? If I do, how will I know the direction of which to put it in the socket?

Put back the 5998 pair...  really wanted to hear the 7236 tonight
frown.gif

I certainly don't know how to help you so that you can hear your 7236 tonight but you might want to check this out or call them and have them advise you on it.

Go here: http://www.tubesandmore.com/
and search for P-STKY-1

Octal Tube Keyway Replacement, package of 4

Do you have valuable octal type tubes that work fine except the keyway has been broken off the base? Fix it with this simple and inexpensive product. Simply clean the remainder of the broken keyway from the base and slip one of these on. Will stay on by itself, or you can use a dab of silicon to attach if you wish.

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:37 AM Post #470 of 1,750
Thanks for the help Clayton SF, I'll try it.

Oct 13, 2010 at 12:54 AM Post #472 of 1,750

Quote:
not sure if its all in my head or if the tubes are now burned in, but i felt today was the first day my wa2 really wow'd me.  it was good before but today it was something  different.  

WONDERFUL!
biggrin.gif
Being wow'd by anything is sweet when it happens--and even sweeter when it's by your favorite hp amp.

Oct 13, 2010 at 11:06 PM Post #473 of 1,750

Quote:
not sure if its all in my head or if the tubes are now burned in, but i felt today was the first day my wa2 really wow'd me.  it was good before but today it was something  different.  

Which tubes are you using?

Once, after a surgery, I took a substantial dose of Oxycodone for the pain, and my system suddenly sounded like a six figure system.

Oct 14, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #474 of 1,750

Quote:
Which tubes are you using?

Once, after a surgery, I took a substantial dose of Oxycodone for the pain, and my system suddenly sounded like a six figure system.

jus using some free tubes clayton setn to me as a welcome gift. i am going to avoid the expensive habit of tube rolling as long as possible.... which probably isnt long.

Oct 16, 2010 at 3:23 AM Post #475 of 1,750
Hi guys, I'm new here (my first post) and actually new to headphone amps and new to Tubes. (3 NEWs!)
That said, I'm interested in the WA2, because it's a headphone amp and a pre-amp - so I can justify a $1k price tag.

I have a few questions though and hopefully you can give me some input.

1) I have had Senn HD600 since their original release  - I like them. But eventually planning on buying close cup headphones for times when I don't want to disturb others, maybe D7000 - since it gets a lot of praise here. Would WA2 work for both?  Would I be better off with WA6? (I'd hate to spent WA2 amount on WA6SE since I'm loosing tube pre-amp feature)
2) Prem Parts upgrade runs $400 - and it's BG caps only. It seems that Jack already uses quality caps in the amp - so do you feel it's still worth it?
3) I like the feel of a quality volume knob action - would upgraded DACT CT2 improve anything over stock? Does it improve sound quality where there is a difference similar to impact of an interconnect?
4) Do you have hard time finding tubes for this amp? Are there brand new tubes in production or will I have to fight for people on eBay over dwindling supply?

Thanks for your feedback.

Oct 16, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #476 of 1,750
I can only answer 1 and 4.  The D7000 are not a goo match for the WA2, being very low impedance.  The WA2, being an OTL design, will be better with higher impedance headphones.  If you want a closed headphone, that is tough to find, oddly enough.  You might be best off with the WA6 or WA6SE.

As for tubes - there are plenty of tubes.  Don't worry about that.

Oct 16, 2010 at 9:45 AM Post #477 of 1,750
I decided to pass on the premium parts and DACT when ordering my WA2.  Instead, I spent that money on tubes.  I don't regret the decision at all and have been extremely happy with my WA2.  In your case you need to decide if those upgrade will be worth the cost relative to the other components in your system. 

Oct 16, 2010 at 12:41 PM Post #478 of 1,750

Quote:
1) I have had Senn HD600 since their original release  - I like them. But eventually planning on buying close cup headphones for times when I don't want to disturb others, maybe D7000 - since it gets a lot of praise here. Would WA2 work for both?  Would I be better off with WA6? (I'd hate to spent WA2 amount on WA6SE since I'm loosing tube pre-amp feature)

I had the same problem a few years back, when shared an office with my wife. I bought Etymotic Research ER4-S, in ear phones. She couldn't hear a thing and I'm enjoying them a lot till now. I also got a portable option.
Didn't try them with the WA2 yet, but I think they will do well. I'll try it later this weekend and tell you how it sounds.

Oct 16, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #479 of 1,750
I am making this choice right now as well.  I think I'll have a hard time knowing I could have had better parts in the amp than the standard version, even if the sonic differences are minor.  Like buying a car with the smaller engine, there will be that day when you want more power, and you could have had it, but chose not to go for it.  I've been there, and swapped engines.  

I'm still trying to talk myself into the maxxed out WA2 over the standard version... I'm almost there!  
biggrin.gif

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:03 PM Post #480 of 1,750

Quote:
I am making this choice right now as well.  I think I'll have a hard time knowing I could have had better parts in the amp than the standard version, even if the sonic differences are minor.  Like buying a car with the smaller engine, there will be that day when you want more power, and you could have had it, but chose not to go for it.  I've been there, and swapped engines.  

I'm still trying to talk myself into the maxxed out WA2 over the standard version... I'm almost there!  
biggrin.gif

LOL....I know that feeling.  I went with the upgrade package, but no stepped attenuator when I purchased mine.....
biggrin.gif

@Clayton....How are the TS 6AS7G treating you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back