The Woo Audio 2
Aug 27, 2010 at 3:44 PM Post #451 of 1,751

Quote:
Quote:

Maybe....I should start to buy WE421 for my WA2 now
Although they are extreme expensive, I have no choice.......
confused_face.gif

Like hodgjy said, only Tung Sol made the 5998.  No need to pay $TEXAS for the WE421.

Sep 23, 2010 at 9:43 PM Post #452 of 1,751
A friend of mine just mailed me a quad of NOS Mullard 6080 metal base from London. A pair of which I will use in my WA2. I don't know the year in which they were manufactured. Perhaps I will place the other pair in the 22, too. Anyway, I'm excited because I've never owned these before. Has anyone ever used them? They should arrive by the end of the month.

Sep 24, 2010 at 6:39 PM Post #453 of 1,751

Quote:
A friend of mine just mailed me a quad of NOS Mullard 6080 metal base from London. A pair of which I will use in my WA2. I don't know the year in which they were manufactured. Perhaps I will place the other pair in the 22, too. Anyway, I'm excited because I've never owned these before. Has anyone ever used them? They should arrive by the end of the month.

Hi Clayton,

Don't know if it has changed, I have had my WA2 for a good while now, but some 6080 tubes do not fit in my WA2.  The base is a bit larger than the slot.  Again, don't know if Jack has widened them up.  I have a pair of Bendix & Tung Sol 6080WBs that I have wanted to roll into the WA2, but to no avail.  Somewhere in this thread, I believe x and myself were discussing it.

EDIT- It's in this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/393811/woo-wa2-tube-rolling-recommendations/45

Sep 24, 2010 at 9:44 PM Post #454 of 1,751
Give them a shot!  I had all but ruled out 6080's since the stock RCA's were so bland, however I recently got a pair of Chatham/Tung Sol 6080's and have really been enjoying them.  They're a nice alternative to the 7236's and 5998/6AS7G's I have.

Sep 24, 2010 at 9:58 PM Post #455 of 1,751

Quote:
Hi Clayton,

Don't know if it has changed, I have had my WA2 for a good while now, but some 6080 tubes do not fit in my WA2.  The base is a bit larger than the slot.  Again, don't know if Jack has widened them up.  I have a pair of Bendix & Tung Sol 6080WBs that I have wanted to roll into the WA2, but to no avail.  Somewhere in this thread, I believe x and myself were discussing it.

EDIT- It's in this thread http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/393811/woo-wa2-tube-rolling-recommendations/45

Thanks for the link. I shall see if I can utilize these Mullard 6080's when they arrive from London. Fingers x'd.

Quote:
Give them a shot!  I had all but ruled out 6080's since the stock RCA's were so bland, however I recently got a pair of Chatham/Tung Sol 6080's and have really been enjoying them.  They're a nice alternative to the 7236's and 5998/6AS7G's I have.

I certainly will give them a shot if the do indeed fit. Maybe even if they're not 100% inserted they just may work. We shall see--hear.

Thanks HeatFan12 and Thaddy.
smile.gif

Sep 27, 2010 at 10:10 PM Post #458 of 1,751
Well the Mullard 6080 / CV2984 black plate arrived. And they fit! Jack obviously widened the slot. I just put them in so I haven't had time to fire them up to burn them in. It is 32C / 90F in San Francisco and my apartment is too hot to turn on any of my amps so I am just chilling with some beer. Those tubes are really nice to look at cold as well.

These tubes are NOS and only cost $17.50 each. I hope they sound as good or even better than my RCA 6AS7G black plate.

Sep 28, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #461 of 1,751

Quote:
Outstanding Clayton.  Congrats...Beautiful pics...And I see there is still room around the base.  I guess he did widen them up a little bit.  The base of my 6080s sit on top of the cut-out.  That WA2 is sure a beautiful sight.

beerchug.gif

Thanks. Hey HeatFan12, what is your current WA2 setup--tubes, source, etc.? I'm listening to the Mullard 6080 right now and they're just slightly brittle in the highs which is to be expected for only being 2 hours old!
tongue.gif
Other than that, I can tell right off that the over-all SQ is very musical and can only get better. It is a very nice shift from the RCA 6AS7G that I replaced--which I love.

Sep 28, 2010 at 4:23 PM Post #463 of 1,751

Quote:
Thanks. Hey HeatFan12, what is your current WA2 setup--tubes, source, etc.? I'm listening to the Mullard 6080 right now and they're just slightly brittle in the highs which is to be expected for only being 2 hours old!
tongue.gif
Other than that, I can tell right off that the over-all SQ is very musical and can only get better. It is a very nice shift from the RCA 6AS7G that I replaced--which I love.

Hi Clayton,

I like to put my WA2 to work.  lol...Great sound and versatility.  Using three inputs atm.  DacMagic, DAC-19DF & ipod w/ dock.  Pre-out is connected to my A5 speakers as well.
ATM, my drivers and rectifiers have not changed for a while (Tungsram EZ80 & Tesla ECC88).  The Tesla were a bit bright but very detailed at first but have settled nicely.  Power tubes I rotate more often.  My favorite are Tung Sol 6AS7G.  They compliment the drivers nicely.  My sleeper power tubes that I use quite a bit are the Svet 6H13C.  They add a bit of warmth to the sound.  Lots of folks don't like them, but since I had purchased a quad a while back, I gave them a shot and stuck with them.  I use them frequently.  I am also a big fan of the RCA 6AS7G that you mentioned.

As you stated, the WA2 is a very musical and toe tapping amp.  I looked back on this thread and I took delivery in Jan 2009.  I have plugged in low and high impedance cans and have never been disappointed....

Here's a bad pic in this thread of the TS in action....lol......
beerchug.gif

Sep 29, 2010 at 12:24 AM Post #464 of 1,751
Quote:
Hi Clayton,

I like to put my WA2 to work.  lol...Great sound and versatility.  Using three inputs atm.  DacMagic, DAC-19DF & ipod w/ dock.  Pre-out is connected to my A5 speakers as well.
ATM, my drivers and rectifiers have not changed for a while (Tungsram EZ80 & Tesla ECC88).  The Tesla were a bit bright but very detailed at first but have settled nicely.  Power tubes I rotate more often.  My favorite are Tung Sol 6AS7G.  They compliment the drivers nicely.  My sleeper power tubes that I use quite a bit are the Svet 6H13C.  They add a bit of warmth to the sound.  Lots of folks don't like them, but since I had purchased a quad a while back, I gave them a shot and stuck with them.  I use them frequently.  I am also a big fan of the RCA 6AS7G that you mentioned.

As you stated, the WA2 is a very musical and toe tapping amp.  I looked back on this thread and I took delivery in Jan 2009.  I have plugged in low and high impedance cans and have never been disappointed....

Here's a bad pic in this thread of the TS in action....lol......
beerchug.gif

That's a great picture. A picture of a Woo in action in any form is good in my book!

I just ordered a pair of Tung-Sol 6AS7G. They should be here this week. I've never tried the Tesla ECC88 or the Svet 6H13C--I shall keep that on my radar! Thanks!!!

Sep 29, 2010 at 10:55 AM Post #465 of 1,751
Clayton,

Where can you find the Mullard 6080 at 17.50 each??? Give me some clue pls.

PS. i just received the Tung-Sol 5998, great! more musical and i think i will enjoy the music more with these tubes.
L3000.gif

Quote:
Well the Mullard 6080 / CV2984 black plate arrived. And they fit! Jack obviously widened the slot. I just put them in so I haven't had time to fire them up to burn them in. It is 32C / 90F in San Francisco and my apartment is too hot to turn on any of my amps so I am just chilling with some beer. Those tubes are really nice to look at cold as well.

These tubes are NOS and only cost $17.50 each. I hope they sound as good or even better than my RCA 6AS7G black plate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back