The Woo Audio 2
Oct 16, 2010 at 1:12 PM Post #481 of 1,750
I've had my Wa2 for 2 weeks now, so I'm hardly an expert.

I opted for the Blackgates simply to avoid second guessing myself in the future. I seriously doubt there is a $400 dollar difference; but didn't want to wonder about it.

Some people love stepped attenuators, some hate em. I'm forever tweaking the volume in 1 or 2° increments. For me, the range of min volume to max volume is 30° or so. A stepped attenuator would have 3 or 4 stops in that range and would drive me crazy.

Rectifier tubes for the Wa2 are cheap.

There are a few threads on power tubes. Most of the preferred tubes are going in the $45-50@ range. I found the advice accurate.

Driver tubes seem to be a boutique item, these days. Again, the advice threads are accurate, though the audible difference between a $50 pair and a $200 pair is pretty trivial.
In any case, the quantity of NOS tubes is not increasing. When you decide what you like, I'd buy spares.

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #482 of 1,750
Great information guys.

So stepped attenuator will actually have less volume steps than a standard one? Really ? So what's the benefit for the upgraded volume pot.

As far as BG upgrade, from what I can tell Jack already uses high quality caps in the WA2 (Rubycon made Black Gates and Jack uses their caps by default), that's why I'm wondering what people think Premium upgrade brought to the table. It doesn't look like anybody had a chance to listen before and after and compare. I understand - by the time you pay for shipping back and forth - you already spend $80.

I also decided that if I go with Woo amps, I won't do WBT rca socket upgrade - looked online and some people doubt that they bring any performance improvement. Some even go as far and say they are more brittle.

The reason I was leaning towards WA2 because it's sort of an exotic amp - all tubes. Seems that WA6 have more SS sound - so might as well get a good quality SS amp - no fiddling with tubes.

So no one still producing driver tubes - isn't it a worry to rely on NOS availability then? What about tubes for WA6?

Oct 16, 2010 at 1:30 PM Post #483 of 1,750
Yes, there are people producing the driver tubes. There are 6922's from China and Russia. It's not a problem.

Oct 16, 2010 at 2:13 PM Post #484 of 1,750

Quote:
LOL....I know that feeling.  I went with the upgrade package, but no stepped attenuator when I purchased mine.....
biggrin.gif

@Clayton....How are the TS 6AS7G treating you?

I went with the upgrade package and the stepped attenuator for the WA2. Now I don't have to think about whether I should've anymore. The WA2 is now used primarily for stereo DVD/Netflix when I don't want to blast my downstairs neighbor.

HeatFan12--The TS 6AS7G are fantastic. Thanks Double F. Since I placed them in my WA22 I haven't swapped em out at all. The RCAs are a little smoother and almost lusher sounding than the TS but the TS are definitely more defined but still have that warm tube sound compared to the stock GEs.

Oct 16, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #485 of 1,750

Quote:
So stepped attenuator will actually have less volume steps than a standard one? Really ? So what's the benefit for the upgraded volume pot.

As far as BG upgrade, from what I can tell Jack already uses high quality caps in the WA2 (Rubycon made Black Gates and Jack uses their caps by default), that's why I'm wondering what people think Premium upgrade brought to the table. It doesn't look like anybody had a chance to listen before and after and compare. I understand - by the time you pay for shipping back and forth - you already spend $80.

I also decided that if I go with Woo amps, I won't do WBT rca socket upgrade - looked online and some people doubt that they bring any performance improvement. Some even go as far and say they are more brittle.

The reason I was leaning towards WA2 because it's sort of an exotic amp - all tubes. Seems that WA6 have more SS sound - so might as well get a good quality SS amp - no fiddling with tubes.

So no one still producing driver tubes - isn't it a worry to rely on NOS availability then? What about tubes for WA6?

The standard attenuator has infinite adjustment, but isn't necessarily very accurate across both channels. The stepped attenuator has has 23 finite stops, but much more precision across the channels. Just a matter of which is going to irritate you more. I'm sure there is a measurable difference in my standard attenuator; but it is inaudible to me.

All of the tubes have current Chinese and Russian production. The best sounding ones are subjective; but seem to be NOS. High end NOS 6922 comparison is best done as a spectator sport, though you can get very nice tubes in the $50/pair ballpark.

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:22 PM Post #487 of 1,750

Quote:
Sorry if this has been asked already but being an OTL design how does the WA2 handle low impedance cans like grados and ultrasones?

Hello RFT,

The WA2 does not follow the usual OTL = high impedance phone only cycle.  In this thread, post #96 (pg7), I talked about when I was using them with low impedance phones.  I use from Denons to Senns, Grados, Ultrasones and it drives them beautifully.

Cheers!

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #488 of 1,750

Quote:
Hello RFT,

The WA2 does not follow the usual OTL = high impedance phone only cycle.  In this thread, post #96 (pg7), I talked about when I was using them with low impedance phones.  I use from Denons to Senns, Grados, Ultrasones and it drives them beautifully.

Cheers!

very_evil_smiley.gif

confused.gif

I (and my wallet) didn't need to hear that!

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:38 PM Post #489 of 1,750
Quote:
MacedonianHero said:
/img/forum/go_quote.gif
very_evil_smiley.gif

confused.gif

I (and my wallet) didn't need to hear that!

LOL, MH....
beerchug.gif

Towards the beginning of this thread, I noticed that right off the bat.  Post #96 (that I stated above), was when I first plugged in my AH-D5000s and was very, very surprised that it drove them with authority.  I believe in January will make two years since I received the WA2 and funny thing is, I use it more with low impedance cans than with my Beyers and Senns...Go figure...

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:40 PM Post #490 of 1,750

Quote:
LOL, MH....
beerchug.gif

Towards the beginning of this thread, I noticed that right off the bat.  Post #96 (that I stated above), was when I first plugged in my AH-D5000s and was very, very surprised that it drove them with authority.  I believe in January will make two years since I received the WA2 and funny thing is, I use it more with low impedance cans than with my Beyers and Senns...Go figure...

Cool...thanks for the info (I think
tongue_smile.gif
). I just assumed it being an OTL that it really only excelled at higher impedance cans.

Right back at you -->
beerchug.gif

Oct 18, 2010 at 10:51 PM Post #493 of 1,750

Quote:
LoL..first his Heat take Chris Bosh from my Raptors and now this.

LOL....Good one....And he has been the most productive one so far.  He has a solid all around game......Can't wait for opening night in Boston on 10-26-10...

You are welcome RTF....Solid amp that WA2...Throw in 4 inputs a pre-out, great customer service and it is a winner...

Oct 19, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #494 of 1,750
I have a Sony SA5000 also, which is 70ohm only, but they work flawlessly with WA2. The detailed signature of SA5000, with the tube sound of WA2, makes good balance and sounds great!!

In some extent, they work even more better that DT880/600 and K702

Oct 19, 2010 at 11:11 AM Post #495 of 1,750
It's good to know there people are able to drive low impedance headphones with WA2. But you guys think that Black Gate upgrade is not absolutely necessary with WA2? I'm already stretching my budget if I go with WA2 - never thought I would spend $1k+ on a head amp. WA2 makes price easier to swallow because it's also a pre-amp. Did anyone ask to only partial Black Gate upgrade for coupling caps?

Now I need to decide whether I want the stepped attenuator, the precision balance between channel is certainly a plus - but I'm not sure how this volume pot works in practice since I've never had A/V equipment with it. Does it jump between each volume level, kind of like digital volume on a PC? Does it click, or rotate smoothly. $215 is a big chunk of change for a volume pot - what default Alps pots Woo Audio uses in their amps? Alps supposed to be pretty good. But then again if DACT CT2 does a better job, than I would pay the price for a long term enjoyment.

Decisions, decisions...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back