The Woo Audio 2
Aug 6, 2009 at 4:44 AM Post #376 of 1,750
IceClass - there are a number of people who use it with the likes of the GS1000, W5000 and K701...with very good results (though I cannot comment myself as my cans are high-Z).

Jack has mentioned the implementation of a number of changes in the past 12-18 month specifically to make the amp more flexible - as OTL amps usually are not ideal for low-Z headphones. That included optimizations in the power supply section, change to the 6V4 (from 6X4) rectifier, etc. as one of his goals was an OTL amp with the flexibility of the TC amps in their range.

Cheers

Aug 6, 2009 at 11:07 AM Post #377 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by IceClass /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone using the WA2 with low impedance cans?

Works great with Grado RS-2 and Audio Technica W5000/W1000. Plenty of drive capability and a quiet, black background -- no hum. Brings out the best in these phones.
tongue.gif

Aug 6, 2009 at 11:18 AM Post #378 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anouk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wilcox, I am very happy to know that the wa2 and the hd800 go together well, so you did hear the hd800 with the black cube linear as well as the wa2?
Greetings, Anouk,

Welcome back Anouk!

I used my Lehmann Black Cube Linear for the first few weeks with the HD800 until my WA2 arrived. The Lehmann is one of the best solid-state amps I have heard as it is truthful and doesn't seem to inflict it's opinion on the sound.

The WA2, on the other hand, seems to add a certain midrange quality that transforms the music from the sound of a recording to the sound of live music. The best way I can describe it is that the Lehmann gives you a soundstage in a wide and deep 3-dimensional space, but all of the instruments/vocalists are cardboard cutouts placed about the stage. The WA2 expands the stage a bit, but now the instruments/vocalist are themselves 3-dimensional with a physical/living presence. I think this is the wonder of tubes. In my book, music is created to be enjoyed, so if a system can increase this enjoyment, then that's fine with me.

This is not to condem the Lehmann, as I consider it a keeper, but both amps are optimized differently.

Aug 6, 2009 at 6:24 PM Post #379 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by WilCox /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome back Anouk!

The WA2, on the other hand, seems to add a certain midrange quality that transforms the music from the sound of a recording to the sound of live music.

Couldn't agree more. To me there is magic between W5000 and WA2.
I did not have enough time to compare all my phones more closely but after brief listening sessions to me W5000+WA2= magic. I just can't help loving the sound. Do not get me wrong HD650, K701 and K501 are great with this amp but AT....
The only headphone that I think is not 100% well driven by Woo is K501. At least that was my brief impression.
Oh and I think design of Woo either was or is constantly changing cause last night I've open mine and looks a little different than other units so there is a chance that newer models are better suited for low imp cans.

Aug 7, 2009 at 10:29 AM Post #380 of 1,750
Finally...after some time with HD800 and Woo 2 - I decided to sell this great (it really is) amp.

Sources to test - to have different sources:

*) EMU 1212m
*) Metronome Technologie C1A DAC
*) iRiver H340

Tubes tested on Woo 2:
*) Mullard E88CC BVA 60's, Electro-Harmonix 6922, Philips JAN 6922, Voshod 6N1P-EW
*) GE 6AS7GA, TungSol 5998
*) IEC 6V4, Amperex Bugle Boys EZ80, Telefunken EZ80

From the first impression, it was just better than good maybe instead of I've expected better dynamics and power.
Transparency, precision, 3D imaging was anyway better than good on Woo2 but the lacks of dynamics,
bas impact was not acceptable for me. Im not a basshead btw.
wink.gif
(I was a K701 lover).

The rescue is another OTL amplifier which is in development stage still.
It is I think totally unknown on headfi polish project WBA Sensauris. It will be available in a few months in audiophile chasis etc.

It's like Zana Deux 6C33C based amplifier but with ECC88 as driver. Rectifers are not implemented as tubes but as transistors like in Zana Deux Transformer version.
But it is still OTL amp.

Outpout power of Zana Deux is L/H 650 mW for 300Ohm, Sensauris has around 800mW for 300Ohm
and for 32Ohm Zana Deux gives 500mW and Sensauris also 500mW.

For me it has all Woo 2 abilities of imaging plus much better dynamics and ability to driver headphones better, with better precision.

6C33C power tube can have almost 5 times stronger anode current than 6080/5998.

Im using as driver there Siemens E288CC or Philips Miniwatt SQ E88CC.

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #381 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by fallow81 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally...after some time with HD800 and Woo 2 -
Tubes tested on Woo 2:
*) Mullard E88CC BVA 60's, Electro-Harmonix 6922, Philips JAN 6922, Voshod 6N1P-EW
*) GE 6AS7GA, TungSol 5998
*) IEC 6V4, Amperex Bugle Boys EZ80, Telefunken EZ80

Those E88CC tubes that you've tested are not the best concerning dynamic and speed/clarity. I think E88CC Siemens grey plate are the fastest/detailed ones and I really mean there is a large difference in E88CC family between tubes at least to my experience.

Aug 7, 2009 at 2:55 PM Post #382 of 1,750
Quote:

Oh and I think design of Woo either was or is constantly changing cause last night I've open mine and looks a little different than other units so there is a chance that newer models are better suited for low imp cans.

There were three major changes implemented
- early 2008, change of rectifier to the EZ80 which has a higher output current than the 6X4; improving power supply
- late 2008, a redesign of power supply to make it much more powerful. This was the change that made the WA2 very flexible and equally adept at powering low and high impedance headphones
-mid 2009, a change primarily impacting the preamp outs, increasing their drive.

Cheers
X

Aug 7, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #383 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by Aethelred /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those E88CC tubes that you've tested are not the best concerning dynamic and speed/clarity. I think E88CC Siemens grey plate are the fastest/detailed ones and I really mean there is a large difference in E88CC family between tubes at least to my experience.

That doesn't chagne the fact Woo 2 on Electro Harmonix 6922 was way much weaker (in driving headphones good context) than WBA Sensauris on the same Electro Harmonix Gold 6922. It was pretty good noticable with HD800 and even black on white for a blind man
smily_headphones1.gif
with 32Ohms Grados.

Dec 15, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #384 of 1,750
Simply awesome...the WA 2 is on my list...and black too. Gorgeous.

Jan 12, 2010 at 11:30 AM Post #386 of 1,750
Quote:

Originally Posted by adsmithy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can anyone comment on how good it is as a pre-amp?

I would likewise be curious as to it's pre-amp abilities

On the fence with whether to go Solid State with a Benchmark Dac1-Pre, or to support the Woo and get this as a Pre-amp for my speaker setup (something tells me that the Woo Would be a better choice than the Benchmark for straight headphone listening? I may be wrong)

I haven't found info in searches of other threads, so comments would be most appreciated,

Jan 12, 2010 at 1:04 PM Post #387 of 1,750
Hello!

I'm planning to order WooAudio 2 but I'm wondering should I order "maxed out" version.

I would like to get some opinions on the upgrades...

- Blackgate capacitor-upgrade? What's your experience?

- Attenuator upgrader and teflon mounting for tubes. Increased usability is mainly the reason I guess?

- The main thing - tube upgrades. Have you compared default-tubes with upgraded ones? How's the difference?

WooAudio 2 would be driving my HD-650 headphones and input signal is coming from iMac via cambridge audio's dacmagic DAC (optical cable in order to isolate computer electrically from audio stuff).

Jan 15, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #388 of 1,750
I, on the other hand cannot comment on normal WA2 but judging on my previous experience caps upgrade really worth taken, I'm not sure about stepped attenuator - I think it might be 10-15% improvement or maybe less. Teflon sockets for tubes - they have bad reputation I do not have them, lots of tube rolling and no problems so far. Tubes - absolutely must have.
Be aware if you do not have experience with tube rolling, results can be unpredictable. What it means you can pay 100$ for Telefunken E88CC and (if you get real one) you might not like the changes. Read a bit first about tube character. Driver tubes ( 6jd8 family ) very audible improvement and sound tuning. If you looking for more detail - go for Telefunken E88CC/Siemens or VALVO Hamburg factory, if you looking for body and midrange - Amperex/Valvo 50s-early 60s.
Power tubes : Tung SOl/CHatham 5998 - best to my taste - great balance/detail and power. Tung SOl 7236 - kind of bright ( not really but lacking warmth) and detail slightly vague comparing to 5998. 6080 tubes are somewhere in between.
EZ80 - rectifier - I like Telefunken EZ80 but Valvo from Hamburg are not far behind. Mullards are very recommended to give more body to the sound. I cannot say that Rectifier upgrade is absolutely essential. I can hear the difference but I think if you use anything NOS/decent production you will be fine as long as you upgrade power and driving tubes.

Jan 16, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #389 of 1,750
This is posted on the woo thread, but I suppose it also belongs here as well.

I may create a seperate thread at a later date to consolidate all my findings with the amp.

"Ok, I've had about 8 hours with my wa2 now. Its fully upgraded except for teflon tube sockets.

I'm not using the upgraded tubes at the moment.

Impressions thus far are mixed.

Ms-pro (bowls/jumbo pads)
Being my first tube amp, I can immediately hear the colouration in the ms-pro, vs without the amp. It sounds more "effortless," but, its definately different, it is most evident in the vocals, I don't know whether or not I "like" the sound yet.

Detail and seperation seem improved it and the increase in bass adds body to the sound. It has also removed the metalic harsheness that I attribute to the STX.

Soundstage seems to have widened and become deeper. I'm not sure how much of this is due to the jumbo pads or the amp itself. Positioning is still "not the best" but I attribute that to the can itself.

Overall the sound is definately improved.

DT880 (250)
Wow, the improvement in this can is much more pronounced. Versus the headphone out on the STX there is no comparison. Straight out of the STX the 880 gets basically no head time. The sound to me is awful. Its tinny and thin, it lacks in all departments, resolution is still there though... although its portrayal is poor.

With the amp, everything improves, lots of body, that nice "lush" midrange. Detail is improved though this is probably further highlighted by the great improvement in seperation. Bass is amazing (almost too much at first!), it adds so much body and weight to the sound.

I cant sense the colouration that I can with the ms-pro, perhaps because the improvement is so great. Comparing it to my home reciever's headphone out, its "closer" than when used versus the stock stx headphone out. However, I'd say bass is better, it seems to have better seperation which gives the sensation that it extends higher. BUT the biggest difference between this and my home reciever is the lack of noise in the wa2. Its almost dead silent.

Other notes:

I plan to put a couple of weeks on the stock driver tubes before I change them. This is so I can get used to the "tube" sound, it will give me a greater reference point and appreciation for any change to the tube combo I may make later, it will also help burn in the caps....

Next on the list is a new dac.

Conclusions for now:

I'm very happy with the performance of the amp, and they make my dt880 my favourite can, where as they used to get no headtime compared to my ms-pro.

The performance with the ms-pro has me undecided, I can't determine whether or not I like the different tonality in the vocal range, though I am glad that it has removed the overly metalic and harsh tone running from the stx output.

I'm very happy so far, and hopefully it just improves from here. Thanks to my wonderful girlfriend for buying me such a wonderful peice of equipment."

Jan 17, 2010 at 4:16 AM Post #390 of 1,750
Seems like i cant find anything better than "Sounds good" for an answer to whether the WA2 sounds good as a PreAmp for a speaker-based system.
Alot of preamps sound merely "good", but is it up to Bryston, Cary, Classe, preamps in the $2000 - $6000 level of sound, or is it more like Rotel, Cambridge, Adcom, NAD, level of sound?
I know the headphone side of the amp is great, but has anyone really compared it to anything really good that can ascertain some kind of a level of performance for this thing?
And is that the maxxed version, or stock?

Which is again another question thats asked alot and i never seem to see a satisfactory answer for. Yes theres answers, but not really.
Besides saying to ask Jack,...Has anyone truly heard the WA2 compared to modded or maxxed versions? The darn blackgates are expensive as heck, so is it a major difference, or you hear some difference and for that marginal amount you dont mind paying an extra $200 - 300 for it?

And please, i dont want another 20 people saying, it sounds good.
If you dont have a real answer, then really we have heard enough people give blah answers.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back