The Woo Audio 2
Nov 14, 2020 at 4:39 PM Post #1,501 of 1,750
I think it was the cost optimization, although the company might claim the option was not very popular. Also the inner construction had changed as at the beginning it was point to point wiring, and i understand now it is the pcb. In all honesty, i think the amp itself is great with HD800 - tubes GEC A1834, Valvo red E188CC and RFT EZ80 - the preamp section is not that great. It is soft sounding, but has nice soundstage, needs careful pairing - with my Berning ZH270 there was some electrical mismatch as i could see speaker membranes were moving without the signal. With First Watt SIT-3 is good - keeps similar character as the amp itself , loosing somehow the "magic " sound character. Vocals are nice but lose definition and sound is loosing the weight. It sounds soft, dynamics are not there - percussion does not have impact, delicate but the body of the sound is not there - this is opposite to what i hear as an amp. It might need different power amp.

Nov 14, 2020 at 4:41 PM Post #1,502 of 1,750
I think it was the cost optimization, although the company might claim the option was not very popular. Also the inner construction had changed as at the beginning it was point to point wiring, and i understand now it is the pcb. In all honesty, i think the amp itself is great with HD800 - tubes GEC A1834, Valvo red E188CC and RFT EZ80 - the preamp section is not that great. It is soft sounding, but has nice soundstage, needs careful pairing - with my Berning ZH270 there was some electrical mismatch as i could see speaker membranes were moving without the signal. With First Watt SIT-3 is good - keeps similar character as the amp itself , loosing somehow the "magic " sound character. Vocals are nice but lose definition and sound is loosing the weight. It sounds soft, dynamics are not there - percussion does not have impact, delicate but the body of the sound is not there - this is opposite to what i hear as an amp. It might need different power amp.
This is the first I read that they stopped point to point. Thanks for this info.

Nov 14, 2020 at 4:44 PM Post #1,503 of 1,750
That's the only difference as far as I know. I don't know why they removed it, you could ask Woo.

I asked woo Audio this was their response:

Hi Onik,

Hope you had a great weekend.

Most customers are using WA2 as a headphone amplifier so we improve the performance of the headphone output.

If you want to use WA2 as a preamp, you can simply use the 1/4" headphone output. It works the same way. Here's a link to an example cable you'll need for the task.

http://amzn.to/2sqENGz

Thank you for choosing Woo Audio. Don’t hesitate to reach out again if you have additional questions. We’re here to help. :)

~ Mike Liang

Nov 14, 2020 at 4:46 PM Post #1,504 of 1,750
Also the inner construction had changed as at the beginning it was point to point wiring, and i understand now it is the pcb.

Where did you hear this? According to the website it is point-to-point wiring.

Screenshot_20201114-134336_Chrome.jpg

Nov 14, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #1,505 of 1,750
Where did you hear this? According to the website it is point-to-point wiring.

Maybe they didn't update it. For a long time after they disabled the preamp function (they put non-removable plugs in the output jacks) they still listed it as a feature.

Nov 29, 2020 at 5:11 PM Post #1,510 of 1,750
I would expect it to be an upgrade from both. But I haven't heard it...yet.. :wink:

Feb 4, 2021 at 4:47 AM Post #1,513 of 1,750
this looks sexy, still waiting for mine, what power and driver tubes are you using?

All stock. I haven’t yet explored other options.

Feb 5, 2021 at 2:39 AM Post #1,515 of 1,750
What are they? Are the stock tubes warm enough for brighter cans like hd800s/t1?

I’ll have to double check what they are, but I use the WA2 exclusively with my HD800S and I think it’s a really nice pairing. Tube rolling would likely net a greater result but I haven’t explored this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back