The Woo Audio 2
May 26, 2021 at 5:41 PM Post #1,531 of 1,750
Very interesting. Were you able to find any patterns with how you paired the rectifiers with the power tubes? I have a suspicion that the higher power tubes pair better with the EZ80 which sort of tames them from being too forward.
For instance, I found that when using Mullard 6080 valves they perform better, that is more clear and detailed, when paired with EZ81. And, to tame the sound of 7236 when I found it not warm enough, I got better sound with EZ80.

May 29, 2021 at 10:56 PM Post #1,532 of 1,750
I changed out my power LED to orange, so it better matches the tube glow. 3D4E2FB5-D7D3-4C19-86C6-4C30D97F61F9.jpeg

Jun 21, 2021 at 2:12 AM Post #1,533 of 1,750
lucaskite's did a wonderful job describing all these tubes. Thank you: I found this very helpful.

However, re: the Mullard EZ81s--it sounds like he may have gotten a bum pair. In fact, I'd rank the British-made Mullard EZ81s (often OEM Philips Miniwatt) as #2 or 3 on this list. Mine are really quite wonderful. Clean-sounding; expansive sound stage; dynamic; good imaging; well balanced; good speed for micro-details in timbre. Sweet treble.

The Blackburn D-Getter Mullard EZ80s (#5) have magical mids, as stated--but at a real cost in bass and treble. And the focused soundstage (rather than focused, I'd call it "vastly diminished") basically kills one of the best features of HD800/HD800Ss. Jack Woo's on record saying they're the best rectifier for the WA2--but I really disagree on that one.

As others have noted, RFT EZ80s should be added to the list--but they get more recommendations for the WA2 (in my opinion) than they deserve--but they're relatively inexpensive, which is an important virtue. Accounting for quality to expense ratio, they'd be very high on the list. They're great rectifiers except for that slight bump in the upper mids, which I find offputting.

Someone here, when asked what the best EZ80 was, amusingly responded that the best EZ80 is an EZ81. I'm inclined to agree--top two for me are British-made Mullard EZ81s and, above that, British-made Brimar EZ81s (often OEM GE and Sylvania). The British-made Brimar EZ81s are revealing without being fatiguing. They're well balanced, with wonderful bass extension. The mids are luscious and rich. The imaging is complex and layered--holographic--and the soundstage is vast. They're really fast as well. So far, they're my gold standard for rectifiers.

But I've yet to try the Marconi/Osram U709s (EZ81s), which some people swear is the best (but also very pricey and rare these days). Brimar EZ81s are difficult to find since they're highly sought after.

Kef Tesfaye at ValveTubes.com (in England) is a great source for difficult to find tubes--nobody better for British-made tubes.

Anyway, thanks again, lucaskite, for the wonderful guide.

Jun 21, 2021 at 11:03 PM Post #1,534 of 1,750
lucaskite's did a wonderful job describing all these tubes. Thank you: I found this very helpful.

However, re: the Mullard EZ81s--it sounds like he may have gotten a bum pair. In fact, I'd rank the British-made Mullard EZ81s (often OEM Philips Miniwatt) as #2 or 3 on this list. Mine are really quite wonderful. Clean-sounding; expansive sound stage; dynamic; good imaging; well balanced; good speed for micro-details in timbre. Sweet treble.

The Blackburn D-Getter Mullard EZ80s (#5) have magical mids, as stated--but at a real cost in bass and treble. And the focused soundstage (rather than focused, I'd call it "vastly diminished") basically kills one of the best features of HD800/HD800Ss. Jack Woo's on record saying they're the best rectifier for the WA2--but I really disagree on that one.

As others have noted, RFT EZ80s should be added to the list--but they get more recommendations for the WA2 (in my opinion) than they deserve--but they're relatively inexpensive, which is an important virtue. Accounting for quality to expense ratio, they'd be very high on the list. They're great rectifiers except for that slight bump in the upper mids, which I find offputting.

Someone here, when asked what the best EZ80 was, amusingly responded that the best EZ80 is an EZ81. I'm inclined to agree--top two for me are British-made Mullard EZ81s and, above that, British-made Brimar EZ81s (often OEM GE and Sylvania). The British-made Brimar EZ81s are revealing without being fatiguing. They're well balanced, with wonderful bass extension. The mids are luscious and rich. The imaging is complex and layered--holographic--and the soundstage is vast. They're really fast as well. So far, they're my gold standard for rectifiers.

But I've yet to try the Marconi/Osram U709s (EZ81s), which some people swear is the best (but also very pricey and rare these days). Brimar EZ81s are difficult to find since they're highly sought after.

Kef Tesfaye at ValveTubes.com (in England) is a great source for difficult to find tubes--nobody better for British-made tubes.

Anyway, thanks again, lucaskite, for the wonderful guide.
I was also pretty disappointed by the Mullard EZ80. Maybe the tubes I have are past their prime, but I found that they took the clarity and musicality from my Amperex ECC88s and presented a muddled soundstage (esp with classical music) compared to my current favorite rectifier, the Ei EZ80. I also tried an RFT EZ81 and was pretty happy listening the classical and piano until I started noticing a serious amount of detail lacking from the low-end of rock songs. I switched back to the Ei EZ80 and it really brought the music back to life. I have a feeling like the Brimar EZ81 could also sound really good my Amperex E88CC and Tung Sol 5998 tubes. Thanks for sharing your impressions!

Sep 16, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #1,535 of 1,750
🎼🎶🎼
790AD58D-19AB-4887-917B-CB0148F50551.jpeg

Sep 16, 2021 at 8:07 PM Post #1,537 of 1,750
Bro, didn't know you had a WA2...much less a black one !!! Nice.
Thank you…a few weeks old…now with a collection of OTL (Linear Tube Audio MZ3, Schiit Valhalla II, Woo WA2)…it is now fueled by Brimar CV455 KB/FB and GEC CV2984…🎼🎶🎵…(Philips in picture).

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #1,538 of 1,750
Thank you…a few weeks old…now with a collection of OTL (Linear Tube Audio MZ3, Schiit Valhalla II, Woo WA2)…it is now fueled by Brimar CV455 KB/FB and GEC CV2984…🎼🎶🎵…(Philips in picture).
Keep your eyes wide open for a pair of GEC6AS7G's. You have to go with Big Brother. Purity. Everybody will say you can't find a deal on them. As you know from your adventures, they are incorrect. The 6080s just tease you with a hint of the glory.

Sep 16, 2021 at 9:02 PM Post #1,539 of 1,750
Keep your eyes wide open for a pair of GEC6AS7G's. You have to go with Big Brother. Purity. Everybody will say you can't find a deal on them. As you know from your adventures, they are incorrect. The 6080s just tease you with a hint of the glory.
The power HG !!
Q: What is the greatest distance that can be spanned in the shortest time?
A: The 2-3 feet from the ears to the finger on “place order” icon.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2021 at 9:28 PM Post #1,540 of 1,750
The power HG !!
Q: What is the greatest distance that can be spanned in the shortest time?
A: The 2-3 feet between ears and the finger on “place order” icon.
As Marc Lindsay said, it's good thing, baby.

Sep 19, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #1,541 of 1,750
So, an update. I managed to get a pair of the Marconi / Osram / GEC U709 rectifiers. Still trying to get their sound in my head. They've been described as "supercharging" the amp. They're more like British-Made Mullard EZ81s (specifying British because the ones made on the continent are very different) than they are the 1950s British-Made Brimar EZ81, D-Getters. The Brimars have more luscious mids, better bass, and better imaging. And yet there's something to the U709s . . . It's system-dependent, but at the moment, I think I'd give the nod to the Brimar EZ81s as my top rectifier. Too bad mine developed a nasty hum--but thanks to Kes Tesfaye at ValveTubes.com for doing everything he could to address that issue--and for finding me both sets of rare tubes: Brimar EZ81s and Osram U709s.

Sep 19, 2021 at 6:15 AM Post #1,542 of 1,750
I borrowed the new version of WA2 from my friend to test with my Headphones.

Even after Tube rolling didn't get that WOW experience, so I opened the WA2 and had a look inside and found no premium components, but Cheap Caps/Registors.

So I decided to Upgrade all components with better ones, and I wanna make it look similar to this mod:

15942730359_f8ca8cd263_b.jpg

My friend is not technical and has zero soldering experience so asked me to help, but I'm not really familiar with audio grade caps can anyone suggest me the best Caps that I can upgrade on this amp including the power supply caps with exact same capacitance/voltage.

No Negative reply pls, this Amp was tested with my ears and the new WA2 sounds worse than their old model and I'm sure most new WA2 owners will agree with me.

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 1:55 PM Post #1,543 of 1,750
I borrowed the new version of WA2 from my friend to test with my Headphones.

Even after Tube rolling didn't get that WOW experience, so I opened the WA2 and had a look inside and found no premium components, but Cheap Caps/Registors.

So I decided to Upgrade all components with better ones, and I wanna make it look similar to this mod:

15942730359_f8ca8cd263_b.jpg

My friend is not technical and has zero soldering experience so asked me to help, but I'm not really familiar with audio grade caps can anyone suggest me the best Caps that I can upgrade on this amp including the power supply caps?

No Negative reply pls, this Amp was tested with my ears and the new WA2 sounds worse than their old model and I'm sure most new WA2 owners will agree with me.
I'm interested in upgrading the caps as well and would like to know which ones would be the best to use.

Sep 19, 2021 at 5:03 PM Post #1,544 of 1,750
Onik, i located the photo you posted of the modded WA2, see link below. If you open the link you will see the parts listed just under the photo, here they are:

Jensen .22uF
Sic Safco 470uF
Sprague 330uF
BHC 100uF
IR HEXFRED
RIFA 120uF

https://www.flickr.com/photos/vluo/15942730359

Edit: I notice 4 transistors on the modded amp that i do not see on any other photos.

1632085717983.png

Last edited:
Sep 19, 2021 at 5:49 PM Post #1,545 of 1,750
Onik, one more thing; since you opened up your friends WA2, can you share a photo so that we can see the differences with the modded one. Thank you.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back