The Woo Audio 2
Jun 30, 2018 at 3:31 AM Post #1,472 of 1,749
Dont do it, it can fry your amp.......... heed the warning!!!!!!!
I recently got a used WA2 and noticed that the sockets are pretty loose so I'm thinking about getting socket savers that I could attach more firmly to the sockets. I would need these for the driver and rectifier sockets. I'm still bit of a tube noob but are these something that I can use for this: https://tubedepot.com/products/9-pin-socket-saver ?

Jul 1, 2018 at 6:38 PM Post #1,474 of 1,749
On any tube amp unless the manufacturer makes them and recommends them stay clear of them.
You can add crazy resistance, bottle neck the power, can go on and on how they can jack your gear up. They sound handy they might even work? But for how long, before the jack your rig. So not recommended

Jul 6, 2018 at 4:55 PM Post #1,475 of 1,749
I have one of these bad boys on its way. I'm really excited.

Not sure how big of an upgrade its going to be. Most of my headphones are fairly easy to drive, or low impedance, so I'm not expecting huge gains. I'll be honest, though, a huge reason I bought it is because it's so beautiful, so I'm fully aware I'm paying a premium for a piece of desk art. Hah.

Still, it has the added function of being a pre-amp, which will be a godsend for my Koss ESP-950s. It's such a hassle adjusting volume with the separate channel knobs. Might even get some nice tube coloration out of it, so it'll be interesting to see how the 950s play with it.

Jul 6, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #1,476 of 1,749
Was there supposed to be an option to add pre-amp functionality? Or am I just stupid?

img_20180706_160710vmu78.jpg

Jul 6, 2018 at 7:25 PM Post #1,477 of 1,749
Older models had pre-amp built in, Woo removed that a few years ago.

Jul 6, 2018 at 9:15 PM Post #1,479 of 1,749
I have one of these bad boys on its way. I'm really excited.

Not sure how big of an upgrade its going to be. Most of my headphones are fairly easy to drive, or low impedance, so I'm not expecting huge gains. I'll be honest, though, a huge reason I bought it is because it's so beautiful, so I'm fully aware I'm paying a premium for a piece of desk art. Hah.

Still, it has the added function of being a pre-amp, which will be a godsend for my Koss ESP-950s. It's such a hassle adjusting volume with the separate channel knobs. Might even get some nice tube coloration out of it, so it'll be interesting to see how the 950s play with it.
The amp is very suited to high impedance headphones. It works well with my lcd2 and good most of the time with my elears

Jul 6, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #1,480 of 1,749
As absolutely no surprise, with my Beyer T5ps there is basically no difference between my Magni 2 and this amp. There's barely a difference between amped an unamped with them, since they are so ridiculously easy to drive.

My CD900STs are largely unchanged, with maybe a little bigger soundstage. Again, easy headphone to drive, not surprised on this one.

The real surprise is just how fantastically awesome my DT770 Pro 80s sound. This amp really steps them up. Most notably it cleans the bass and treble up, and offers a little better soundstage. The cleaned up bass and treble really help with imaging, and I would argue might push the DT770s to a higher tier of headphone. They've certainly shot up my list of favorite headphones.

Still a long way to go as far as trying out my headphones in earnest, I mostly just have a short time with each right now. Not expecting huge things, since as I said most of my headphones are low impedance, but maybe I'll get another surprise like the DT770s.

Jul 6, 2018 at 9:24 PM Post #1,481 of 1,749
Great silky smooth sound.

And it will get better still if /when you start tube rolling.

When i first bought mine (upgrading from my burson soloist) for my hd800 i was surprised how much better it was and then the same thing again when i started buying tubes on top of that.

If you like your beyers you do have a lot of options (various price points) with higher impedance to consider down the track.

Enjoy

Jul 7, 2018 at 3:46 AM Post #1,482 of 1,749
Upon further listening I think maybe the amp is improving soundstage on my T5ps a bit. It's tough to say if it's just in my head or not, or I noticed I had volume lowered on my media player, and I've heard that actually has a large impact on sound quality. (using digital volume control at all, that is.)

I really like to approach my gear with some skepticism, so it can be kind hard to nail down where my impressions are coming from exactly. Still, I think even on the T5ps I think I'm getting some gains over my Magni 2.

I can't seem to keep my socks on when I listen to these damned DT770s, though. The tonal balance is obviously about the same as they were before, but they just sound so... Grown up now. They have been refined at every level. They are honestly not far behind my T5ps.

Mar 5, 2019 at 3:15 AM Post #1,483 of 1,749
Been blown away for the past couple of months using a pair of Telefunken ECC801s as my driver tubes. You'll of course need 12AT7 to E88CC adapters. Great synergy with my GEC 6AS7G's power and Marconi U709 rectifiers.

Along those lines I've read that GEC A2900's are the absolute premier 12AT7 type tube...but that it has a higher amplification factor than others in the family. Has anyone here tried them with the WA2? Does anyone know if they are truly compatible or whether they may damage the WA2 ???
Would appreciate any input.
http://tdsl.duncanamps.com/pdf/a2900.pdf

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 7:15 PM Post #1,484 of 1,749
Hi all.

Just got in Woo 2 this morning. This thing is awesome. Figured I would share some thoughts after about 8 hours.

First off - tubes

Tung Sol 5998
Amperex 6922 PQ
Brimar EZ81

I have a lot of tubes to roll, but these were what I started based on recs from this and the tube rolling thread.

I don’t want to write a long list of impressions, that’s been done, but figured I would add in some notes.

Headphone pairings:

HD650 and Audio Technica ATW1000x - excellent pairing. The HD650s have been covered at length. Not much on the ATWs. These sound phenomenal. Beautiful pairing. I think they are just high enough impedance to sing with WA2.

Mr. Speakers Ether C and Audeze LCD 2 (rev 2.2) Ethers are ok. Not the best on first impression, but I’m gonna give them another shot.
I get the mixed response on the LCD2s, they sound decent with the Woo, maybe different tubes will help. I think with both these cans, they sound ok bc they’re great headphones and a great amp, but they can sound much better with other amps.

As a pre-amp...

LOVE IT. This has not been covered much in this thread. It is great as a pre-amp, at least with the tubes I tried today.

The chain is as follows:

Roon on Mac mini-> topping d50 dac -> wa2 -> McIntosh MC225 -> DeVore Fidelity The Nines speakers

Or

Rega P6 -> Jolida JD9II w/ Gold Lion tubes -> wa2 -> McIntosh MC225 -> DeVore Fidelity The Nines speakers

Both sources sound absolutely excellent, no lack of power or anything from the woo. Really improved the sound across the board when added to the chain.

TL;DR

Great with HD650 and ATH1000x

Not so great with LCD2 and Ether C

Great as pre-amp

May 7, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #1,485 of 1,749
@xmarksbooks Too bad you started with those tubes... Everything else is going to sound lesser now. Heh.

Try picking up some 2c51/5670/6n3p to 6922 adapters (recommend Jeremy's on Garage 1217) and playing around with some cheap, yet excellent, 6n3p Reflektor and Foton tubes. Every bit as good as my E88CC Miniwatts and Valvo CCa's. Different flavors.

Welcome to the club.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back