The Wizard Appreciation Thread - Long Live the Wizard - The former HA Appreciation Thread
Sep 25, 2012 at 10:25 PM Post #2,386 of 7,980
Quote:

I was under the impression that by shipping with USPS, our products would be exempt from customs fees and therefore we would be doing our customers in Canada a favor. Will one of our Canadian customers please remind me why we are shipping with USPS again? Shipping with UPS is much easier than shipping with USPS.
 ​

I tried to explain this before I first ordered in mid August. Most Canadian Head-Fiers are wary of couriers like UPS and FedEx because with some of there options they charge exorbitant brokerage fees to bring the item across the border. This brokerage fee is essentially a processing fee that's charged on top of taxes and any required duty. USPS/Canada Post still charges a brokerage fee but it's usually a flat $5 that I think may increase to $8 or $10 when the package reaches a certain value.

An example, my wife bought a Pure dock for me for Christmas, the dock cost $100 + $5 shipping. The site didn't list what shipping method it was, it ended up being FedEx Ground, a couple of weeks after the dock arrived we got a bill in the mail for over $50 in taxes and brokerage fees. Taxes in my province for shipments coming across the border is 5% so there's was about $45 in brokerage fees for a $100 item. That's not exact costs, but it's close.

As your probably aware now, USPS isn't always the best route either. I've had very few issues with packages shipped via USPS Priority International, it has a proper tracking number that can be tracked via both USPS and Canada Posts systems and it's proven to me to be fairly reliable in it's delivery times. First Class International on the other hand is proving to be a whole other story, it doesn't have proper tracking, instead it has a customs label that is only somewhat trackable within the USPS system while it's still in the US. From my perspective it's proving to not be very reliable. My 4.Ai's were shipped via First Class International 19 days ago, after the second day there were no tracking updates until today when I checked to find out that it was just scanned in Bethpage, NY, so it's still in the US. At this point I'm thinking First Class International is code for Pony Express.

From what I've been able to figure out the problem with UPS and FedEx is actually only their lowest cost services, UPS Standard and FedEx Ground, as you move up in the services they include brokerage fees. JH Audio shipped my 13Pro's back via UPS Worldwide Saver numerous times after refits and I was never charged anything. I believe I've also had a package shipped via UPS Worldwide Expedited which was good as well. In addition I had a Sena iPhone case shipped via FedEx International without issue. So not all courier methods are bad, it's just knowing the right ones to use so the customers don't get charged a ridiculous amount in "brokerage" fees.

So, shipping via UPS isn't out of the question, Worldwide Expedited or Worldwide Saver shouldn't pose any excess fee issues on the customer end, it's more a matter of the costs involved on your end to ship via those methods. That's why USPS International Priority might be the best compromise of cost and reliability.

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:46 PM Post #2,387 of 7,980
I think the above covers most of it (Fedex hit me for >$35 on a $50 value item before).  The other side is that with USPS you can just go to your local post office if you aren't there when they deliver, with Fedex or UPS, their offices are usually on the outskirts in my experience (so a few extra bucks brokerage from them vs. 20-30 min each way for pickup).

But yeah, being in Canada sucks (unless you are in AB) for duty, but not quite as bad as the EU...

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #2,388 of 7,980
Quote:
I tried to explain this before I first ordered in mid August. Most Canadian Head-Fiers are wary of couriers like UPS and FedEx because with some of there options they charge exorbitant brokerage fees to bring the item across the border. This brokerage fee is essentially a processing fee that's charged on top of taxes and any required duty. USPS/Canada Post still charges a brokerage fee but it's usually a flat $5 that I think may increase to $8 or $10 when the package reaches a certain value.

An example, my wife bought a Pure dock for me for Christmas, the dock cost $100 + $5 shipping. The site didn't list what shipping method it was, it ended up being FedEx Ground, a couple of weeks after the dock arrived we got a bill in the mail for over $50 in taxes and brokerage fees. Taxes in my province for shipments coming across the border is 5% so there's was about $45 in brokerage fees for a $100 item. That's not exact costs, but it's close.

As your probably aware now, USPS isn't always the best route either. I've had very few issues with packages shipped via USPS Priority International, it has a proper tracking number that can be tracked via both USPS and Canada Posts systems and it's proven to me to be fairly reliable in it's delivery times. First Class International on the other hand is proving to be a whole other story, it doesn't have proper tracking, instead it has a customs label that is only somewhat trackable within the USPS system while it's still in the US. From my perspective it's proving to not be very reliable. My 4.Ai's were shipped via First Class International 19 days ago, after the second day there were no tracking updates until today when I checked to find out that it was just scanned in Bethpage, NY, so it's still in the US. At this point I'm thinking First Class International is code for Pony Express.

From what I've been able to figure out the problem with UPS and FedEx is actually only their lowest cost services, UPS Standard and FedEx Ground, as you move up in the services they include brokerage fees. JH Audio shipped my 13Pro's back via UPS Worldwide Saver numerous times after refits and I was never charged anything. I believe I've also had a package shipped via UPS Worldwide Expedited which was good as well. In addition I had a Sena iPhone case shipped via FedEx International without issue. So not all courier methods are bad, it's just knowing the right ones to use so the customers don't get charged a ridiculous amount in "brokerage" fees.

So, shipping via UPS isn't out of the question, Worldwide Expedited or Worldwide Saver shouldn't pose any excess fee issues on the customer end, it's more a matter of the costs involved on your end to ship via those methods. That's why USPS International Priority might be the best compromise of cost and reliability.

We just started registering the mail with USPS so now there is proper tracking, it will be interesting to see if this changes things going forward. Your situation is unique however, as every other person in Canada who we shipped IEMs to in and around the time we shipped yours has had them for at least two weeks now.

That being said, if we can start shipping with UPS to Canada, that would be a welcome change as we do all of our shipping within the United States with UPS. It would be best if we could keep things under one roof so to speak. Even if we have to step up a service class or two for packages to Canada, it would be worth it.
 ​

Sep 25, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #2,389 of 7,980
Quote:
I think the above covers most of it (Fedex hit me for >$35 on a $50 value item before).  The other side is that with USPS you can just go to your local post office if you aren't there when they deliver, with Fedex or UPS, their offices are usually on the outskirts in my experience (so a few extra bucks brokerage from them vs. 20-30 min each way for pickup).

But yeah, being in Canada sucks (unless you are in AB) for duty, but not quite as bad as the EU...

Yes, there's that as well. My postal outlet is about a 2 min. drive, FedEx and UPS are the other side of the city past the airport and one of them is only open for pick ups for a 1 or 2 hour window each day. Typically USPS leaves a card to pick up at the Post Office but that's not always the case, I bought an Audioquest Dragonfly a few weeks ago which also got shipped via First Class International, it was just left in my mail box. Seeing as the 4.Ai's were shipped via this method I've been a bit stressed about them being left on my front step and without any tracking updates I've had no idea when to expect them so I keep trying to get home asap to check if they've arrived.

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:01 PM Post #2,390 of 7,980
Quote:

We just started registering the mail with USPS so now there is proper tracking, it will be interesting to see if this changes things going forward. Your situation is unique however, as every other person in Canada who we shipped IEMs to in and around the time we shipped yours has had them for at least two weeks now.

​

The worst part about mine is they haven't even left the US yet, that means they still have to go through customs and then on to me which is likely at least another week.

Quote:
That being said, if we can start shipping with UPS to Canada, that would be a welcome change as we do all of our shipping within the United States with UPS. It would be best if we could keep things under one roof so to speak. 
 ​

I'd expect as a business doing a fair amount of shipping you can probably get a better rate via UPS. I know the Sena case I bought that was shipped via FedEx International it was a flat $10 rate which was excellent, if I remember correctly it only took a few days to get here as well.

Sep 25, 2012 at 11:20 PM Post #2,392 of 7,980
Quote:
We do get a lower rate with UPS and it would probably be cheaper than shipping plus registering the mail with USPS. I will have to investigate this tomorrow when I visit the UPS center.

Just remember to avoid UPS Standard.

Sep 26, 2012 at 1:08 AM Post #2,393 of 7,980
Would pay for DHL
frown.gif

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:11 AM Post #2,398 of 7,980
I am beyond excited... especially since my new developer job allows for wearing headphones while working. 

For now, the iPhone 5 and Macbook Pro will have to do. 

What DACs are y'all using with your Heir?

Sep 26, 2012 at 3:17 AM Post #2,399 of 7,980
Quote:
I am beyond excited... especially since my new developer job allows for wearing headphones while working. 

For now, the iPhone 5 and Macbook Pro will have to do. 

What DACs are y'all using with your Heir?

Oh you will love the hell out of the 8.A then! I hack at the keys for 8 hours a day while wearing the 8.A!

I feed them with my Ibasso DX100, haven't heard the iPhone 5 but for the MBP I can recommend the HRT HeadStreamer. Great sound without taking up too much desk space. You could also get the Audioquest Dragonfly to go even more compact 
smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back