The Westone UM1/UM2 Appreciation Thread
Jan 17, 2009 at 5:23 PM Post #469 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
OMG the UM1 are SO MUCH BETTER with the Shure olive foam tips i've just received!! I had really poor highs with the Comply tips but now the highs are really good thanks to the new tips, the difference is amazing.

really ?

i dismissed them for poor highs but i also auditioned them with comply tips.

how much of an improvement is it?

Jan 17, 2009 at 5:56 PM Post #470 of 516
Both the Comply and the Shure tips make the highs worse. That's pretty much the general consensus.

Jan 22, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #471 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nocturnal310 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
really ?

i dismissed them for poor highs but i also auditioned them with comply tips.

how much of an improvement is it?

Actually when i went back to Comply tips the difference was not as impressive as i originally thought, but the highs are more natural with Shure tips, the sound is a bit clearer.

However i've just noticed a problem concerning the UM1 (not sure if it also concerns the UM2). The highs are still terrible when playing on my Sansa Clip (no matter which EQ and volume position i choose), whereas they're pretty decent when playing on my computer or my CD player. I've tried to do the same with my ES7 and i can barely hear a difference between the Clip and better sources, this phone shines all the time. So i guess the UM1 has a real problem with DAPs. Anyone complained about that? I'm pretty sure it doesn't come from my UM1 as they sound really good on my computer...

Edit: ok i've just done the same test with my Vaio Pocket (which is a pretty powerful DAP) instead of my Clip. Well let's say the SQ with my UM1 is somewhere between the Clip and my CD player, it's quite decent actually but still a bit muddy. So the UM1's SQ definitely has to do with the output power of your source, i'm pretty sure of that. I'm quite surprised as i thought most IEMs were easy to drive.

Feb 6, 2009 at 11:33 AM Post #472 of 516
Hi,
I'm looking for an upgrade from my cx300's. Would UM1's be good to buy for listening to rock, a bit of metal, drum and bass (Pendulum), and a bit of pop music? I really like my bass but not so much that it blocks out other parts of the song like my cx300's do.
Other headphones I'm pondering over at the Bijou 3, Atrio (although a bit out of my price range), and maybe some others (please make suggestions).

Thanks in advance.

Jan 23, 2010 at 4:49 AM Post #474 of 516
My old pair of Shure E3c earphones bit the dust recently and after much gnashing and consideration, I decided to buy a pair of Westone UM2 earphones. I came very close to purchasing a pair of Sennheiser IE7s but the reviews of the UM2s were a bit better in my opinion (especially on reliability). The new earphones arrived today so this is only a first impression.

My first impression is very good. Many seem not to like the Comply tips but I find them very comfortable. In general, these earphones fit me better than the Shure E3c. The drivers rest in the ear better, they are very light weight, and they stay put quite well in my opinion. The twisted pair cables are more flexible than the E3c and they seem to have little to no microphonics. The cable is a little bit short for my taste but not by much.

Mostly, I listen to classical with some 80s rock as a guilty pleasure. The midrange on the UM2 is really quite extraordinary. Vocals and choral works are very pleasing through these earphones. The highs are accurate and (gratefully) not sibilant or spitty. They are a bit weaker in bass than the E3c but maybe they will fill out a bit given some burn in time.

Overall, I like them a lot and I look forward to using them for a long time to come.

Jan 28, 2010 at 8:36 PM Post #475 of 516
AHHHH, just bought a pair of UM1's. Can't wait for them to get here and listen to Steven Wilson's sweet sweet music making through them. <3

EDIT: Listening now! So excited i could wee. Can't wait for full burn in. All i'm going to say right now is that the soundstage is much larger compared to anything i've owned.

xx

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #476 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by natty135 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi all, how does the um2 compare to um3x in terms of bass quantity and quality

UM3X is definately better in terms of bass however if your budget does not permit it Um2 should suffice most needs. It would be best if you can audition them. Also take note of westone 3s they seem to have the most bass out of the group.

Dec 18, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #479 of 516
Are UM1 cables removable?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back