The Westone UM1/UM2 Appreciation Thread
May 1, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #496 of 516
Today they arrived, all £82`s worth of them. Quickly put on my W4 silicone tips and...oh dear. Bass at least double of the W4 and very veiled. If you thought the W4 was veiled then do not use silicone, i mean that.

My theory with tips is that silicone tips have great bass and foam (aka comply/shure olives) negate bass to an extent but offer great isolation.

Put large Shure olives on and... completely reversed (as expected-ish) the above. Bass tamed but still punchy and highs opened up. A valuable lesson learnt in tip management today and backed up my foam thoughts.

Mids are sort of in your face compared to the W4 and overall sound lacks finesse but a very capable pair of IEMs, for not a lot of money. When I bought the W2 from here, I didn`t like them and was probably the tips, which were probably silicone.

A message to newer members, try every tip you can and even tips for othe IEMs because, like I learnt today, tips are just as important as the IEM you are trying to love and paid money for. If you exhaust all avenues and still do not like the IEM then at least you can say you gave it a chance.

Walk to work tomorrow, UM2 - With Olives.

Jun 15, 2013 at 10:17 AM Post #498 of 516
Use the silicone tips and make sure you get a good seal and you will find for your first headphone you will like them..once you get use to the sound..they were my first ones too and once I got use to them I like them..I still like them for the money I think they are great..if your looking for a bass monster they are now..but it's tight and fairly fast..detailed..

Jun 15, 2013 at 9:27 PM Post #499 of 516
Quote:
Use the silicone tips and make sure you get a good seal and you will find for your first headphone you will like them..once you get use to the sound..they were my first ones too and once I got use to them I like them..I still like them for the money I think they are great..if your looking for a bass monster they are now..but it's tight and fairly fast..detailed..

I got the new UM1s with Star Tips and those create a suction that hurts my ears. I'm using the black color coded foam tips. I'm beginning to like them tough. Maybe I just expected too much. Thanks for your suggestion, anyway.

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #500 of 516
Kind of dissappointed with the UM1s being my first pair of good headphones, but I think I'll live with it. Upgraditis strikes.

Upgraditis strikes within me too but I'm not disappointed with the UM1's, they just lack a little bit on the bass department but overall, they are a good buy IMO. Will upgrade to 4r or CIEMs maybe the end of the year :D

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #501 of 516
Kind of dissappointed with the UM1s being my first pair of good headphones, but I think I'll live with it. Upgraditis strikes.

Upgraditis strikes within me too but I'm not disappointed with the UM1's, they just lack a little bit on the bass department but overall, they are a good buy IMO. Will upgrade to 4r or CIEMs maybe the end of the year :D

Jul 3, 2013 at 8:16 PM Post #502 of 516

Sep 3, 2013 at 5:49 AM Post #503 of 516
Is the UM1 cables detachable? I'm talking about those with the Epic G2 cables (UM1 colors ) and not the Epic Pro braided cables ( UM1 universal fit ver. ) sorry if I made a mistake, that's how they are named here in singapore.
Thanks for your time, have a great day!

Sep 7, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #504 of 516
Is the UM1 cables detachable? I'm talking about those with the Epic G2 cables (UM1 colors ) and not the Epic Pro braided cables ( UM1 universal fit ver. ) sorry if I made a mistake, that's how they are named here in singapore.
Thanks for your time, have a great day!

no they're not. but trust me, the cables feel great.

Nov 4, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #506 of 516
  Bought the new UM1's with the "G2" cable. The cable resist tangles but are somehow less flexible.

i've auditioned the UM1s recently and i really liked them so i'm planning to buy a pair this christmas.

how could i distinguish between the new and the old G2 cables? are the cables the only thing that has changed with the "new" UM1s?

and how would the UM1s compare to the newer UM10 Pro? is there a really noticeable difference to justify the increase in the price?

thanks!

Nov 9, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #507 of 516
Been lurking on Head-Fi for a while and I have had my UM2s for about a year. I must say, these headphones are so musical. The warmth and intimacy makes these great for live music or just general listening.

Sad to see these being discontinued 

Sep 23, 2014 at 9:07 PM Post #509 of 516
I just got mine thanks to sur88 from TipidPC. Way better than my Urbanears Bagis in terms of sound quality and comfort. I don't feel them in my ears that much and the accuracy is spot on

Jan 2, 2015 at 1:36 PM Post #510 of 516
So I found these for 170 (USD). You guys think it is worth it? I currently have a Shure se215 for comparison and I like them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back