The Westone UM1/UM2 Appreciation Thread
Jan 18, 2007 at 10:31 PM Post #226 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by BrentRS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm curious to see these compared too. I got the Vibes for the gym and absolutely love them, but now want something with more isolation for work/travel. I'm trying to decide between the UM1s and the Sennheiser CX300s.

Now that JeffS has said UM1s "UM1 desprately needs an amp" that could write off UM1s for me. I'm just not a "portable amp for my ipod" type of guy. If a IEM (which I'll be using ONLY for travel) needs an amp to sound good--it's out. I'll never use these things at home with my Headfive nor will I buy/be willing to lug a Tomahawk through airport security and whatnot--so it sounds like the UM1 would be a bad call for me.

So I'm not sure where that leaves me in terms of finding a comfortable, low-impedence, good sounding, mid-cost, isolating for-travel IEM. Sounds like the ER4p doesn't sound as good as the ER4s (which needs an amp--and both these are supposedly delicate and microphonic anyway) and the UEs are supposedly uncomfortable and fiddly which is exactly what I hated about E2c's. Vibes and JVC 220s don't isolate. Sheesh!

That's a pretty disappointing post to read--thought UM1s might be the answer I was looking for. Maybe I need to start a new thread outside this one to gather more opinions.

BTW, I have EP630s (the same housing as CX300) and the isolation isn't anything to write home about. Isolation from canalphones in general is merely average. From looking at the photo of the JVC 220s (far superior to CX300 from the posts here) I'd guess they isolate just as well as the CX300s/EP630--but who knows.

Jan 18, 2007 at 11:35 PM Post #227 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by tomjonesrocks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Now that JeffS has said UM1s "UM1 desprately needs an amp" that could write off UM1s for me. I'm just not a "portable amp for my ipod" type of guy. If a IEM (which I'll be using ONLY for travel) needs an amp to sound good--it's out. I'll never use these things at home with my Headfive nor will I buy/be willing to lug a Tomahawk through airport security and whatnot--so it sounds like the UM1 would be a bad call for me.

So I'm not sure where that leaves me in terms of finding a comfortable, low-impedence, good sounding, mid-cost, isolating for-travel IEM. Sounds like the ER4p doesn't sound as good as the ER4s (which needs an amp--and both these are supposedly delicate and microphonic anyway) and the UEs are supposedly uncomfortable and fiddly which is exactly what I hated about E2c's. Vibes and JVC 220s don't isolate. Sheesh!

That's a pretty disappointing post to read--thought UM1s might be the answer I was looking for. Maybe I need to start a new thread outside this one to gather more opinions.

BTW, I have EP630s (the same housing as CX300) and the isolation isn't anything to write home about. Isolation from canalphones in general is merely average. From looking at the photo of the JVC 220s (far superior to CX300 from the posts here) I'd guess they isolate just as well as the CX300s/EP630--but who knows.

Would you like to audition my UM1's? :p

Jan 18, 2007 at 11:39 PM Post #228 of 516
No, the 220's wouldn't isolate better than the CX300 or the EP630. The 220's are open.

I'm in the same boat as you in choosing an IEM. I've had a pair of CX300s and loved them. I just broke them and in getting something new I want to try something different for a change.

On the UM1 needing an amp thing, I think you should search some more on that. That was one I was considering and I read a lot of positive things about the UM1 and don't recall anything saying that it "needed" an amp. It may benefit a good deal from amplification but I don't think it needs one from what I understand. I also was told that it would be a step up from the CX300's. It's just in that price range I felt I could spend just a bit more and take a good step up from the UM1. From further research I'm now torn between the UE super.fi 5pro and the Shure E4c. I'm leaning toward the E4c because I've read that it's slightly more comfortable than the 5pros, but I do like the removable chord on the 5pro so I'm still undecided. I desired isolation so the 220's and the vibes weren't considered for me in this instance, but I'd love to get the 220's eventually as an added phone to use but I'm more looking for my main everyday phone right now.

Jan 19, 2007 at 4:54 PM Post #230 of 516
I don't think UM1s "need" an amp. A little OT, but I've been cold weather testing my UM2s lately. 45 minute walks 2x/day at below zero (F) and no problemas.

Jan 19, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #231 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiomagnate /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't think UM1s "need" an amp. A little OT, but I've been cold weather testing my UM2s lately. 45 minute walks 2x/day at below zero (F) and no problemas.

How are you liking the UM2's? Possibly thinking of upgrading to them over the UM1's until the 3's come out...
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 19, 2007 at 5:28 PM Post #234 of 516
Etrips, I'd be tempted to do the same as you in future (upgrade path wise, bare with me) (or go for new E530), but I'd prefer to skip a rung on the ladder and go for low end customs. It makes more sense to my wallet!

That's how I began. Got cheap canalphones, then jumped straight to E4s and UM2s. But then there is an element of "collecting" here..
biggrin.gif
I think its better to just start mid-highish. Save money in the long run over buying cheaper introductions

Jan 19, 2007 at 7:31 PM Post #235 of 516
tomjonesrocks:
Sorry to turn you off of the UM1s, I actually think they are really good for what they are. However coming from a pair of ety 6is, I thought they just weren't quite up to the same level of standards. I did however spend a week using them recently while my UM2s were getting repaired. The amp helps.

NEEDing the amp may be an overstatement, but it's also a personal preference. If you can buy from a place that will let you return them, give 'em a shot. From you post the UM2 might be more what you're looking for. Same comfort of the UM1, and much improved sound.

good luck
-Jeff

Jan 19, 2007 at 10:53 PM Post #236 of 516
How much better in sound quality of UM1 compared to Senn. PX200 for portable use? My source is iAudio X5. I am considering vibes and JBL Ref. 220 as well but afraid that they leak sound since they are not isolated. Thanks.

Raymond

Jan 19, 2007 at 11:54 PM Post #237 of 516
i really do need to echo those who have said the um1 can be very very good with an amp. at first, i enjoyed their bassy sound since they were my first iem so i had nothing to compare with. bassy at that time was just some mid-bass. it doesn't extend to low but was very laid back and unoffensive and alright sounding. i delighted in the seal against outside noise. that alone is worth the price (i bought used). at that time i had mostly used the short comply tips since they seemed comfortable enough. also, i really love the um1s for their nice braided cord design which has close to zip microphonics.

after much reading, i thought i'd give a modded tri-flange a try and so i turned it into bi-flange. at first i was unused to the comfort, but the sound truly does open up. the highs, mids, bass all seems more evenly balanced than with the comply.

next step, throw in my sr-71 and wow! i didn't know this amp could do so much for the um1 since i had tried with my headroom micro amp and hadn't found that significant a difference. anyway, it's ridiculous but it almost rivals my hd-600 cardas-cabled. not sure why, maybe it's just the more intimate upfront-ness and the excellent seal but my sr-71 truly makes these headphones sing.

i will have a pair of er4s to compare with in about a month or so and will post back then. but for now, i'm really digging my sr-71 + um1 combo. not the most portable combo but the sound is worth it in my opinion.

Jan 24, 2007 at 4:45 PM Post #238 of 516
Just got a pair of UM1's today. For a first pair of proper IEMs all i can say is WOW.

Not sure if i have a proper seal or not, but they sound superb and isolation is excellent.

Observations; These things like volume. At lower volumes, especially on my 5G ipod, they go a little bit muddy. Crank it up and things become crystal. No noticeable microphonics. Also, they sound way, way better than CX300's.

Andrew.

Jan 24, 2007 at 5:40 PM Post #239 of 516
Having also come from CX300's I was maybe a bit dissapointed at first. The bass was weak and there was nothing special. Then I tried turning up the volume a bit, just like you did, and WOW!!!
eek.gif

These babies really need a little kick on their behinds to give their best. Also I noticed that an amp made them even better. Reeally love them now. There's no turning back, now that I've heard them in all their glory
icon10.gif

Jan 26, 2007 at 3:24 PM Post #240 of 516
I've now spent 2 weeks with my UM2s... I will now say I like all music apart from dance and country. I listen to hip-hop, rock, pop, jazz, classical, acoustical; (nearly) everything. I like to hear the details in music, but I don't like highs that extend too far and are fatiguing on the ear. I like a balanced sound, perhaps erring on the bass having a distinguishable rumble and punchiness to it, but not overpowering the mids and highs. Comparison done with laptop > Foobar Lame MP3 320 > Edirol UA-25 sound card, EQ off. Small note, with laptop there is hiss through both, but adding the sound card removes hiss thankfully

Compared to the E4Cs I've had for a year and a bit, I think the UM2s hold their own detail wise and you would have to double check to distinguish them from the E4. The E4 have a slightly better extension and range in the highs I feel though. In that regard, the UM2 can't quite extend as far as the E4 treble. Female vocalists just sound a little better and more "rangey" with the E4 and have that better balls tingling effect. The violin (from Mendelssohn Violin Concerto in E Minor Op.Cit 64, Menuhin) has that nice sharpness to it, without being too much and grating. The UM2 are pretty close but doesn't quite reach there.

In the midrange, the E4 have a very nice reproduction. Very solid and pleasant performance, with instruments sounding very accurate and nice on the Miles Davis 'Kind Of Blue' album. A sort of crispness and warmness there and you can hear the raw graininess of the Miles Davis recording. The UM2s are more milky here and don't have quite the same crispness and extra reach of the E4 but it is still enjoyable and quite similar to the E4, but for that little extra. Vocals sound very nice on both, but the E4 is slightly lighter and more airy while the UM2 seems to have some sort of db boost somewhere - or may not have at all! This aspect bothers me and I would like to pinpoint where the difference is. I will have to investigate on later occasions.

The bass - this is far easier to write about. The E4 is all about seal - foamies for me are best. The bass is present but the E4 is more balanced so the bass doesn't really have the presence, extension or punch that I would like. The UM2 - this is more like it! Some say the UM2 bass is bloated and uncontrolled, but I think they really open up once you give them decent burn in time. They have that extension and punch that is missing from the E4. On drum beats the UM2 have that extra growl at the end whereas the E4 seems to roll off and it isn't there. Drum reproduction feels more real and have more impact on the UM2, whereas on the E4 is is somewhat more plasticky and limp. The bass goes deeper and is much more present and better on the UM2. Further to comments below about fit, the E4 do rely on a proper seal for bass. For me only foamies work, but even then the bass on the UM2 is fuller than the E4. When I listen to the beats on Dr Dre "The Chronic" and some Guns 'N' Roses the difference in bass reproduction is pretty evident. I wouldn't say the E4 has no bass, but it is rather weak for my tastes. Bass beats and drums hit home on the UM2 whereas the E4 seems to have some sort of veil that muffles the impact of the bass. A criticism of the UM2 bass would be that it could do with being slightly more controlled and tighter.

One small comment on the sound stage. On track 20 of the Ultrasone test CD, the one with the beach and waves, if you close your eyes, on the UM2 it is like "holy..." and you really lose yourself. It is like you are actually at the sea as the waves travel past you and crash. On the E4, that track feels somewhat less awesome and the waves don't seem to go as far away on the E4 or sound as "real". Now we go back to above where I say the E4 sounds lighter and more airy. I don't know if this is your experience, but perhaps it says more about CDs needing to be well recorded. But for the Ultrasone CD though, I'd say both IEM have a nice separation of instruments, although they can both feel a little "in your head". Hmm gotta love the test CD!

Build wise, the E4 cable is nice and thick. I was worried when I saw how thin the UM2 cable is, but the braided design is brilliant. Really helps to keep the UM2 cable tangle-free and eliminates microphonics. On the E4, microphonics are slightly detectable, but it isn't all that much and no where near as annoying as cheap canalphones I've got. Fit wise, the UM2 wins. Got to be the most comfortable portable not on-your-head 'phone. Sits flush to your ear, so it is actually easier to use with all sort of tips. I can use small clear flex, small/medium flex or cut down triple flanges as well as foamies with the UM2. I can only use the foamies with the E4 due to their shape to ensure they stay in and I get a proper seal. I wear the E4 behind my ear.. they don't feel right hanging down. I could wear the UM2 all day and forget about them with any tip, whereas the E4 require the foamies for me and more effort to insert. I did find the comply foams or triple flanges cut down best for the UM2 to get the best range of sound; from lows to highs, although small flex/clear Shure sleeves aren't too bad with the UM2

I'll be keeping both phones, but the UM2 will be a preferred travelling partner as they're less of a hassle to insert. So easy, they're practically earbuds
tongue.gif
I think the E4 will be preferred for jazz, classical, pop and acoustical music; basically anything that doesn't require any real bass, while I'll use the UM2 for rock and hip-hop. Note while I didn't use EQ in the mini-review to keep it "fair", I think a little 2-4db boost in certain frequencies may help, although you would have to experiment yourself to find the right level of bass

I love the UM2 and they are the winner simply because they have the punchy bass that I thought the E4 lack and have a better design. Plus I got them 2nd hand for £120, so for £30 less than I paid for the E4 over a year ago, they are a bargain. I do look forward to trying the new black Shure foamies when they come out though, to hear the difference with both IEM. Perhaps the UM2 should inherit the E4 upper mids and highs for that all round performance. Now looking forward to UM3 reviews as a possible future purchase

Thanks for reading a long-ish post. Perhaps I could have started a thread, but I thought there are enough of those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back