The Westone UM1/UM2 Appreciation Thread
Oct 20, 2006 at 2:54 AM Post #166 of 516
i dont have the time as of yet to read the whole thread. but i would like to ask someone who has the um2, how would you compare them to the super.fi 5 pro? i love the sound of the super.fi but im not really comfortable with the fit even if i use the "fs" mod. i love the fit of the cx300 but they lack the detailed highs that i want (but overall they are good). the um2 seems to be more comfy and ive heard they have thick sound which i might like. i admit i want a somewhat "V" eq sound
etysmile.gif

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #167 of 516
I was told that UM2s are warm like Superfis 5 pros but more detailed so if that's what you like you can't lose with them. Especially with the sleek fit!

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:29 AM Post #168 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohken
Sorry I started reading this thread but there is wayyy too much info
biggrin.gif
(jkin)

Anyway I have 2 main questions. The UM2's weren't even on my list of buds to purchase because a) I never heard of them and 2) they seem like they are only designed to work with comply tips.

My main beef with these tips is that you need to replace them. While I know in theory they sound and feel better than reusable silicone tips I'd like to have something I don't need to worry about and dish extra money out. But I saw in this thread that someone has triflanges/flanges. I can't find them on the Westone website so I was wondering if you guys are just using another brand's tips?

Anyway please answer the following questions:
  1. Are there any filters that need to be replaced (like ER4P's as opposed to Shure E3/4)
  2. Where can I buy the U2's for a good price/good service?
  3. Are the cords removeable? Why?
  4. Since these are dual drivers do they outperform the Shure E4 (my main other choice)? How does the bass, mids, highs compare?
  5. If you need to get flanges seperately where can I get them?
  6. On my Grado SR60 the sound is terrific, but after prolonged listening my head starts to throb? If I leave it on for longer I will get a headache. With my Shure E3's I never have this problem, I can wear them for hours and hours with no headache. I think this is a "transparency" issue.
  7. How long do a set of Comply's last for?
  8. While I'm aware these need no amp, I wanted to know how an amp affects them. Is it a big difference?

Thanks! You guys rock.

can someone please reply asap. hate to be pushy but looking to order these tomorrow.

Oct 20, 2006 at 12:47 PM Post #169 of 516
Quote:

Sorry I started reading this thread but there is wayyy too much info
biggrin.gif
(jkin)

Anyway I have 2 main questions. The UM2's weren't even on my list of buds to purchase because a) I never heard of them and 2) they seem like they are only designed to work with comply tips.

My main beef with these tips is that you need to replace them. While I know in theory they sound and feel better than reusable silicone tips I'd like to have something I don't need to worry about and dish extra money out. But I saw in this thread that someone has triflanges/flanges. I can't find them on the Westone website so I was wondering if you guys are just using another brand's tips?

Anyway please answer the following questions:
  1. Are there any filters that need to be replaced (like ER4P's as opposed to Shure E3/4)
  2. Where can I buy the U2's for a good price/good service?
  3. Are the cords removeable? Why?
  4. Since these are dual drivers do they outperform the Shure E4 (my main other choice)? How does the bass, mids, highs compare?
  5. If you need to get flanges seperately where can I get them?
  6. On my Grado SR60 the sound is terrific, but after prolonged listening my head starts to throb? If I leave it on for longer I will get a headache. With my Shure E3's I never have this problem, I can wear them for hours and hours with no headache. I think this is a "transparency" issue.
  7. How long do a set of Comply's last for?
  8. While I'm aware these need no amp, I wanted to know how an amp affects them. Is it a big difference?

Thanks! You guys rock.

Quick answers.
No
Look at the sponsor links on the top of Head-Fi
No, uh because they aren't designed that way.
Excellent to my ears. On the warm side, but clear.
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/ has them, among others.
I've had no fatigue from these. The UM2 is a smooth listen. Fatigue is not a transparency issue. For me Exagerated highs will cause fatigue. High volume of course will cause fatigue.
Tips can last months, depending on use, & care.
Amp doesn't affect the UM2 very much.

For me plugged straight into a portable like an iPod there is not IEM I'd rather have in their price range. Fit, comfort, & sound quality is hard to beat for me.

Happy listening,

Todd

Oct 20, 2006 at 3:27 PM Post #170 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd S
Quick answers.
No
Look at the sponsor links on the top of Head-Fi
No, uh because they aren't designed that way.
Excellent to my ears. On the warm side, but clear.
http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/ has them, among others.
I've had no fatigue from these. The UM2 is a smooth listen. Fatigue is not a transparency issue. For me Exagerated highs will cause fatigue. High volume of course will cause fatigue.
Tips can last months, depending on use, & care.
Amp doesn't affect the UM2 very much.

For me plugged straight into a portable like an iPod there is not IEM I'd rather have in their price range. Fit, comfort, & sound quality is hard to beat for me.

Happy listening,

Todd

Thanks Todd. Looks I'll be replying soon as a UM2 owner.

Oct 21, 2006 at 1:05 AM Post #171 of 516
Quote:

Thanks Todd. Looks I'll be replying soon as a UM2 owner.

Your welcome. Btw they do pop up on the for sale forum here from time to time if you want to save some cash.

Oct 21, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #172 of 516
As an owner of the Super.Fi 5 pro, I am curious to the overall choice preference among the users here who may have both. Are there any areas that one lack or excel in in comparison with the other? I wish all IEMs had replaceable cables like UE's do, because that is a big plus. Can you use silicone tips with the UM2s? I am not a big fan of foam tips, or dual flanges. Also, I think the Shure tips that come with the e2c are overall are much more uncomfortable than the silicone that come with the Super.Fi 5 pro, and in trying them out many times on my Super.fi 5's, I find they also limit some of the frequencies that come through, as the UE tips are open at the end leaving the opening of the Super.fi 5 canals to enter your ear freely, but the Shure rubber tips extend further out with a narrower opening.

I have heard elsewhere that some people prefer the UM2 to the Shure E500 triple drivers. Soon to be receiving a set of limited edition Triple.Fi 10 pro (#2/180), I sure hope the UM2's don't outperform them. $299 is certainly a steep price for dual drivers. I bought my Super.Fi 5 pro when they were $249, but got the clear ones exclusive to Guitar Center for $199 (that is as low as they were allowed to go on them), and now see that you can get the Super.Fi 5 pro in black for $189 on Earphone Solutions (which is a great price), yet on that site the UM2's are $299, so I wonder how much better they could possibly be than the Super.Fi 5 pro, if at all (especially for the $110 price difference). Maybe someone can shed some light on all of this.

I've also been curious to audition the Super.Fi 5 EB, but no store here that I know of (in Los Angeles, CA) lets you do that. I suppose I could drive 60 miles or so to UE's company directly in Irvine, but I'd rather not.

Thanks for any help in advance.

PJ

Oct 21, 2006 at 7:13 AM Post #173 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by Todd S
Your welcome. Btw they do pop up on the for sale forum here from time to time if you want to save some cash.

No offense to any members here, but I prefer purchasing IEMs new. Something used that goes inside my body just makes me feel a little weird. I wouldn't enjoy the experience as much.

In any case I pre-ordered the black UM2's today, which makes me the first to do so! or at least the first to post so in this thread
eggosmile.gif

Oct 21, 2006 at 3:28 PM Post #174 of 516
Quote:

No offense to any members here, but I prefer purchasing IEMs new. Something used that goes inside my body just makes me feel a little weird. I wouldn't enjoy the experience as much.

In any case I pre-ordered the black UM2's today, which makes me the first to do so! or at least the first to post so in this thread
eggosmile.gif

That's your choice, & understandable. I am a bit that way too. However looking at the design of the UM2, & by equipting them with unused tips (or even alcohol cleaned tips) put me at ease to buy used & save $100+. Anyway it doesn't matter now, so congrats on your purchase. I hope they are exactly what your looking for.

Oct 23, 2006 at 2:01 PM Post #175 of 516
Joined the UM2 family today and they are fantastic... The difference compared to my old Shure E2c is stunning in every way, especially sound quality and comfort. They're feather light and very stealth the way the snuggle into the ear. The cord itself must weigh only half as much as the shure cord... The treble extension and detail blows the E2 out of the water with the short comply's.. Can't wait to hear them with some Shure tri/bi flanges...

Oct 24, 2006 at 3:39 PM Post #176 of 516
Quote:

eggosmile.gif

I buy my Kleenex new, I'm just picky that way. Once you get your UM2s you'll realize that the black part doesn't go "inside" your body - I sure hope not anyway!- just the tips do. BTW, whatever you do, don't look at those studies of what they find in freshly "cleaned" hotel rooms; even high end ones. You'll never leave home again.

Nov 6, 2006 at 8:50 PM Post #178 of 516
You know, I don't think anyone answered the question about how the Shure Soft Flex tips work on the UM1's and UM2's.

Also has anyone had any trouble with breakage on these? I really like the low profile of these but I'm a bit skeptical of the $110.00 price jump of the UM2's over the Super.Fi 5 Pro's, with half the warranty to boot.

Nov 6, 2006 at 9:29 PM Post #179 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jokieman
You know, I don't think anyone answered the question about how the Shure Soft Flex tips work on the UM1's and UM2's.

Also has anyone had any trouble with breakage on these? I really like the low profile of these but I'm a bit skeptical of the $110.00 price jump over the Super.Fi 5 Pro's, with half the warranty to boot.

I think I can answer at least your first question.

I just got (literally 10 minutes ago UPS came) the BLACK UM2s. They look awesome.

Heres what I love love love about them. The comfort. Oh my god. I never thought earphones could be this comfortable. I tried them with Shure flex tips, sony ex silicone tips and foamies. They feel awesome with all of them. the best so far are foamies they came with, but this is by only a little bit and the rest feel like I can wear them for days on end.

Durability wise, they seem as good as my Shure E3's which is saying alot because I slammed those in between a closing door. When I gave them to my friend they still sounded great and had no damage. The exterior plastic looks pretty nice, the finish could be nicer but this is negligable.

All in all I am very happy, and this is before I listened to them. I'll post later on to tell you how that goes.

Nov 6, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #180 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ
As an owner of the Super.Fi 5 pro, I am curious to the overall choice preference among the users here who may have both. Are there any areas that one lack or excel in in comparison with the other? I wish all IEMs had replaceable cables like UE's do, because that is a big plus. Can you use silicone tips with the UM2s? I am not a big fan of foam tips, or dual flanges. Also, I think the Shure tips that come with the e2c are overall are much more uncomfortable than the silicone that come with the Super.Fi 5 pro, and in trying them out many times on my Super.fi 5's, I find they also limit some of the frequencies that come through, as the UE tips are open at the end leaving the opening of the Super.fi 5 canals to enter your ear freely, but the Shure rubber tips extend further out with a narrower opening.

I have heard elsewhere that some people prefer the UM2 to the Shure E500 triple drivers. Soon to be receiving a set of limited edition Triple.Fi 10 pro (#2/180), I sure hope the UM2's don't outperform them. $299 is certainly a steep price for dual drivers. I bought my Super.Fi 5 pro when they were $249, but got the clear ones exclusive to Guitar Center for $199 (that is as low as they were allowed to go on them), and now see that you can get the Super.Fi 5 pro in black for $189 on Earphone Solutions (which is a great price), yet on that site the UM2's are $299, so I wonder how much better they could possibly be than the Super.Fi 5 pro, if at all (especially for the $110 price difference). Maybe someone can shed some light on all of this.

I've also been curious to audition the Super.Fi 5 EB, but no store here that I know of (in Los Angeles, CA) lets you do that. I suppose I could drive 60 miles or so to UE's company directly in Irvine, but I'd rather not.

Thanks for any help in advance.

PJ

Delayed answer for yah,
Yes the Um2 is worth the additional money.

To compare:

Best bargain: Um2 by a nudge since I've seen the 5 pros for around $160
Best sound : Um2 by far
Best comfort: Um2 by far
Best cord : Um2 by far. Even though the 5pros are removable, the thick unwieldy wire is irritating.

Um2 works with a large variety of tips, I actually use the tips from my D-jays on them, better fit for my ears than the Shure's...

Ply

Users who are viewing this thread

Back