The Westone UM1/UM2 Appreciation Thread
Sep 22, 2006 at 9:54 AM Post #136 of 516
I'm tempted to try a pair of the UM2's I have UE Super.fi 5pro now. Anyone know if the UM2 will give me more isolation on a plane? The UE Super.fi 5pro's give me maybe 10-15DB isolation or so.

Sep 24, 2006 at 3:05 PM Post #137 of 516
At almost 3 times the price the UM2's are a little on the expensive end of things [I guess it depends on how you look at it though], so I'm wondering if the UM1's are any close?

Like do they get to say 60-70%, so to speak, of the UM2's level for example? Or are they totally blown away by the UM2, given that they have two drivers and a passive crossover?

Some of my friends who've auditioned both seem to think so, some think otherwise. I've yet to listen to them myself, but I was wondering what you guys think.

Sep 24, 2006 at 3:37 PM Post #138 of 516
Hmm...
Having auditioned both the UM2 and UM 1 before buying the UM1 (not enough cash to get the UM2
tongue.gif
), this is what I can say about the 2. Signature wise they are roughly the same, warm and musical. Of course, the difference between the UM2 and 1 is very apparent, at least it was to me. The dynamic range I'd guess is about 15% both ways (treble and bass), but the bass of the UM2 is what really blasts the UM1 away IMHO. UM1 gets good, very controlled bass thats apparent with a really good seal, whilst I get loads of bass even with a so so seal on my (very large
tongue.gif
) ears on the UM2. Also, the musical details of the UM2 are very good. In short, UM2 is definitely worth it if you can pay the price and if you like the 'Westone' sound. Or better yet, get the ES2s, like what I plan to after my UM1s eventually clonk out
very_evil_smiley.gif

Sep 26, 2006 at 8:40 PM Post #139 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by theobservatory.
At almost 3 times the price the UM2's are a little on the expensive end of things [I guess it depends on how you look at it though], so I'm wondering if the UM1's are any close?

Like do they get to say 60-70%, so to speak, of the UM2's level for example? Or are they totally blown away by the UM2, given that they have two drivers and a passive crossover?

Some of my friends who've auditioned both seem to think so, some think otherwise. I've yet to listen to them myself, but I was wondering what you guys think.

I've got both, and I think the 2's are just way better for serious listening. I'd go for it, otherwise you'll just be thinking about what you'r missing. Your hearing gets worse every day so get the good stuff now while you can appreciate it.

Oct 10, 2006 at 11:40 AM Post #140 of 516
well I got some UM2's today and my first impressions was, damn i hate this sound, they are muddy and lacking in detail, I was gutted and wondered if maybe somehow I had bought some fakes.
confused.gif

Well I then took the comply tips off and put some tri-flange from my etys on and this improved things alot, then i tried them with the shure soft flex tips and im very happy with the sound and fit, infact im blown away with the sound difference between the foamies and the Soft Flex tips.

No microphonics from the cable at all.
Slight Hiss running direct from a 5gen Ipod.
Nice flush fit with the ear. (with the Shure soft-flex tips)
Lovley sound right through, Kinda Gradoish but not quite the same (less treble??)
Listening to my music on the UM2's makes me wanna dance.
No need to amp them running from an iPod 5gen.

These are pretty Bassy IEM's but I don't feel that this hurts the mids and highs at all. That said everyones hearing is unique so what sounds great to me may sound bad to others.

all the above is my opinion, I think these are well worth buying and very pleased with them.

Oct 11, 2006 at 1:56 AM Post #142 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by jlo mein
How much isolation do you get with the shure soft flex tips? I'm thinking about the UM1, but only want it if i can use a tip that only has about 10-15dB of isolation, since anymore is dangerous for walking down a busy street not hearing outside noises.

Yeah, you must hone your SA if you plan to walk around with IEMs on; the grey silicone tips do offer 20-30db of isolation (for me, excellent). Their ease of insertion minimize the fussing of obtaining the sweet sound spot, and are more comfortable for maximum periods (2-3 hrs safely), but of course - only if they fit you. Since my first pair of EX71LPs however, I'm convinced that silicone tips are the way to go(!)

Oct 14, 2006 at 2:55 AM Post #143 of 516
Well I got my UM1s yesterday. The only other iem I've had is the e2c, which I really liked, and would've kept if not for the poor cable durability. Before listening to anything, just holding and putting on the um1s made me all giddy. TimmyMac you're so wrong. These phones are absolutely not ugly . They are in fact beautiful (fact!), and after you put them on the stealth makes them even more beautiful; the braided cable is lovely as well. It was love at first sight for me. Now hearing them was sort of a different story. I use them straight out of an ipod 5g. First thing I listened to was some sorta dark rap music (Mobb Deep), and was very impressed. They did a way better job than what I could remember of my e2cs. But it was another story when I tried to listen to Sufjan Stevens (Illinois). Something was missing, even with treble booster. I referenced them to my KSC75s ($15 headphones) and the difference is just mindblowing. The UM1s have no sparkle, and something ( well a lot of things) just seem missing. Flutes, and cymbals don't sound as pleasing, and the mids are just nonexistant. From what I remember, the e2c did a way better job with this album.
It sucks because I really want to like these, and I'd try any mod to make them more pleasing to my ears.
So, my question is, do the shure triflanges/biflanges or soft flex sleeves really make the um1s sound completely different i.e. more definition, less veil? If they do, I'll order some and give these another try. Unfortunately, I only have e2c soft flexes.

Oct 14, 2006 at 3:32 AM Post #144 of 516
Its funny because I have had the EXACT same experience as you ill_phenom. Coming from the E2G I absolutely adored the ergonomics of the UM1s. Compared the braided cable of the UM1s, the Shure cable felt like a freaken rope. When I started listening to them, I thought yeah these are great. The first album I listened to Sam's Town - The Killers. Then after that I listened to the track Diary of Jane (acoustic) - Breaking Benjamin. Something about the vocals if just off with these cans. The midrange just sounds funky (in a bad way) and sounds very recessed to me compared to the E2s. Also the bass response was slightly disappointing. I guess I'll have to try some now tips. I'm currently using the short comply tips.

Oct 14, 2006 at 4:56 AM Post #145 of 516
Recently became a Killers fan. I agree that um1s really lack in those aforementioned areas. I only noticed that after realising I much prefer listening with my k81dj then the um1s. Its ironic that the um1s are even more expensive. However, it doesn't bother me much as I only use them on the go. Outside, the isolation and killer stealth looks really made up for its shortcomings. I can't help noticing everyone else's buds and thinking, mine looks so much cooler...
cool.gif

Oct 14, 2006 at 5:02 PM Post #147 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by retic3nt
too bad, the um1 seems like the perfect starter IEM if it were not for this veil everyone talks about.

Ditto on that assertion, since I'm really dying to spend some money today, and would rather not waste any on something with such shortcomings as what people are saying about these. Since my Sony V6's crapped out on me (and I totally pulled them apart) I've been using the most crappy replacements, which are really affecting my mental health. I need a replacement, NOW !

I have KSC75's somewhere around (with the volume control) and have to buy ear pads for them, so that might be ok, but I take the train to work, and the noise is overwhelming, so I'd have to turn up the vol on my iPod, which in turn, would give me a headache.

I'd like to buy one pair of universal IEM's which don't cost a lot at all, so that I can save up for customs in the next couple months. Problem is, everytime I read about a pair which sounds like it could be the one, there's always something which turns into a deal breaker for me. I like clarity, but not too much treble, I like bass, but hate mud, I also don't think I should spend $300, when for (in my logical reasoning) only $350 more, I can have the ES2's. So I need to spend about $150 or less if possible, and have my audiable needs satiated as well.

I'm off to the Guitar Center, to see if they can replace one of the broken sides to the Super.fi 5 pros I have. I didn't buy them, and don't have a receipt, so that's the tricky part. If not, I'll probably make an impulsive buying decision and go with something from Shure, I think.

Oct 14, 2006 at 8:27 PM Post #148 of 516
Yea I agree that the UM1's dont have that sparkle in the high notes. The whole sound signature is more laid back. I really prefer this as I can listen for extended periods without getting listening fatigue. When I first recieved them I thought they were gona be terribly dark by what everybody was saying but I think thats way off. I really enjoy the sound as I listen to alot of hip hop and rock. I noticed they also work great for my movies off my laptop. Braided cable is a great design and gets rid of most cable generated noise. So far though I like these better then my other iem's I have owned. I have owned the Shure e4, ER6/i's. Altec im616, cx300's etc.. I guess if I ever upgrade its going to be custom's or custom tips for these. Westone Rules
biggrin.gif

Oct 15, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #149 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by norseman8485
I only noticed that after realising I much prefer listening with my k81dj then the um1s. Its ironic that the um1s are even more expensive.

Isn't that pretty normal? I thought IEM's won't sound as good as similarly priced full size headphones. It seems that a typical IEM will sound as good as a full size headphone that is about half it's price.

Oct 15, 2006 at 3:08 PM Post #150 of 516
Since I'm loving the ergonomics of the UM1s too much, theres only one thing left to do...EQ!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back