The Westone UM1/UM2 Appreciation Thread
Mar 10, 2006 at 11:35 PM Post #121 of 516
The UM1's are great, I just changed the foam tips for a biflange after doing the mod to the triflange and it helps the treble and details come through. Also less hassle putting them in and out. I'd advise doing this if you feel the treble/ detail
isn't quite enough for you.

Mar 22, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #122 of 516
I just got my UM1s and have to say that they are great so far. I stepped up from creative ep630s and senn cx300s and theres no comparison really...you get what you pay for in this case. Finally...refined sound from an earbud/iem.

I cut the triflanges to be flush with the driver casing, but I like the extra isolation of the triple flanges thus far...I'm not noticing the lack of detail really. Maybe they aren't the most transparent sounding speakers/earphones i've ever heard but they're damn good, no sibilance, very nicely balanced and detailed sound. I think earphonesolutions had it right, these are direct competition for the e4c, e3c.

Isolation is fantastic with the triflanges and very comfortable.

I'm surprised these aren't more popular though, every thread I see is about the shures, etys, and UEs.

Apr 4, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #123 of 516
So, I tried the complys, they're really nice. Then I tried the bonus Tri-Flanges that Marcopolo.ca provided. Found it a bit difficult to insert. (These are my first IEMS.)

I modded them to bi-flange. Easier to put in, sound a lot better, clearer.

Kinda hard adjusting to hearing my footsteps and teeth lol.

May 24, 2006 at 8:03 PM Post #124 of 516
I've had UM1s since November and realy liked them, but always felt they were were a little dull. I got my UM2s today and wow! The detail is there now but they don't sound like EQ'd UM1s, the highs are so delicate that they seduce you. The sense of depth is fantastic. They have a very subtle deep bass and more "thwack" than the UM1's. These things sound so good they can be downright scarey.

If you like your UM1s you'll love UM2s.

May 24, 2006 at 9:01 PM Post #125 of 516
To my ears -- and based on the many IEMs I've heard so far (but I haven't heard any of Ultimate Ears' universal-fits yet) -- I think the UM2 is maybe the best value (given its high performance at its typical street price) of any of the IEMs I've tried. I first heard it at the National Meet, and now I have my own UM2 (and have used it quite a lot since).

First of all, the UM2 sounds fantastic. And though, in my opinion, it falls short of the upcoming SHURE E500 in terms of overall performance (the SHURE E500 being the best universal-fit IEM I've heard so far), it still plays in the same league in many respects; and, depending on where the E500 shakes out in terms of street price when it's released, the UM2 will likely be significantly less expensive.

Secondly, I find the UM2 easy to insert (second only to a custom-fit in terms of ease of insertion), and among the most comfortable IEMs to wear, thanks at least in part to the über-flexible, barely-there cable it uses.

I haven't heard the UM1, so I can't comment on it, but the UM2 has a performance/price ratio that's hard to top.

May 25, 2006 at 1:12 AM Post #126 of 516
I have never heard the Shure E5/500, but I found the UM2 to be much better than the E3, which I had prior. I actually really like the UM2, in spite of the fact that in general I don't care for IEM's.

Most of the time I'd still rather use my HD25-1's for portable use, though
orphsmile.gif

May 25, 2006 at 2:23 AM Post #127 of 516
I 've had a few more hours on them now and I really can't believe how good these UM2s sound. Delicate, gorgeous high end, sweet deep bass when it really there. Vocals sound so real it's like someone is whispering in your ear. I'm just using a Sony D11 and an MPIO FL100 with EAC VBR rips of my CD's but it sounds high end. I'm astounded.

May 25, 2006 at 2:29 AM Post #128 of 516
Im an amazingly happy UM1 user. They are my first IEM and I love the fact that they block out outside noise, yet still deliver amazing sound quality. Lookin like Im in the FBI is pretty cool too.
etysmile.gif

-greg

May 25, 2006 at 2:49 AM Post #129 of 516
I tried out the UM1's at a headphone store the other day and thought they had a really small sound compared to the px-100's. I doubt I had them inserted correctly. I want to give them another shot because of all this praise and the px-100's just don't cut out any sound which sucks for riding the subway.

How difficult is it to insert the buggers? Is it worth the trouble?

May 25, 2006 at 4:13 AM Post #130 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFiRE
How difficult is it to insert the buggers? Is it worth the trouble?

It depends on the type of tip you use. Foams will be more troublesome with all that rolling and compressing. A biflange is easy. Just insert them. For me, i don't even need to 'pull my ear upwards/outwards' to insert them. Just like normal earphones, simple and comfortable.

May 26, 2006 at 4:21 PM Post #131 of 516
Maybe I've got big old honkin' ear canals, but the small foamies go right in and are super comfortable.

May 27, 2006 at 3:33 AM Post #132 of 516
Impressive pictures on pg 2. It seems they are really small, comparing to my super.fi's_5pro, I am thinking a second pair of those would be nice...
smily_headphones1.gif

How the sound of UM1/UM2 compares to the superfi's?

Also I noticed someone mentionied he tried them on, in some retail store, but not the name of the store that caries them. Where?

Sep 7, 2006 at 7:07 PM Post #133 of 516
I just got the UM1's and I also have the e2c's. I love them both, but the UM1 is clearly better. I never have been able to get the e2c's to fit in my ears, infact the only thing that will even stay in my ear is the smallest foam one because I have small ears. But, the tips that come with the UM1 are umbelievable, they go in in just a few seconds and not only do you not even feel them, but they also dont even feel remotly like falling out that drove me crazy with the e2c's. On my 5G ipod I get distortion on almost any EQ so that sucks. A few questions, I used some tri-flanges on a set of E4c's and they didnt seem all that good not to mention they didnt fit as well as the long comply's, will the audio quality be significantly better with them, and will the ones for the shures work? And, also, how long have you all been able to get the foam tips to last? and do they show dirt and earwax aswell as the shures?

Sep 8, 2006 at 3:04 AM Post #134 of 516
Lovin' my UM1s at the moment
etysmile.gif
Clarity much more than I ever heard in my previous (cheapo) earbuds (Senn MX400s are good, AT CK32s are good...PLUGs? Well...) Even for UM1, the bass goes surprisingly deep with a good seal (I bought yellow foamies, short complies too small for me...long ones too intrusive, like sticking fingers in my ears
tongue.gif
) Had the chance to audition the UM2s though...more of everything the UM1 has
wink.gif
, man I wish I can stump up the cash (Poor student now
tongue.gif
)

Sep 22, 2006 at 4:28 AM Post #135 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by rapier84
Lovin' my UM1s at the moment
etysmile.gif
Clarity much more than I ever heard in my previous (cheapo) earbuds (Senn MX400s are good, AT CK32s are good...PLUGs? Well...) Even for UM1, the bass goes surprisingly deep with a good seal (I bought yellow foamies, short complies too small for me...long ones too intrusive, like sticking fingers in my ears
tongue.gif
) Had the chance to audition the UM2s though...more of everything the UM1 has
wink.gif
, man I wish I can stump up the cash (Poor student now
tongue.gif
)

I've had my UM2s for months now and have neglected my lowly UM1s. But I popped them in today and I love them. Not the bottom and top of the 2's but I'm diggin' the crap out of them. I get my ears molded next Wednesday for UM56's which will work with both. How cool is that? I can't imagine more perfect sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back