The Westone UM1/UM2 Appreciation Thread
Oct 17, 2006 at 12:44 PM Post #153 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by ill_phenom
Well I got my UM1s yesterday. The only other iem I've had is the e2c, which I really liked, and would've kept if not for the poor cable durability. Before listening to anything, just holding and putting on the um1s made me all giddy. TimmyMac you're so wrong. These phones are absolutely not ugly . They are in fact beautiful (fact!), and after you put them on the stealth makes them even more beautiful; the braided cable is lovely as well. It was love at first sight for me. Now hearing them was sort of a different story. I use them straight out of an ipod 5g. First thing I listened to was some sorta dark rap music (Mobb Deep), and was very impressed. They did a way better job than what I could remember of my e2cs. But it was another story when I tried to listen to Sufjan Stevens (Illinois). Something was missing, even with treble booster. I referenced them to my KSC75s ($15 headphones) and the difference is just mindblowing. The UM1s have no sparkle, and something ( well a lot of things) just seem missing. Flutes, and cymbals don't sound as pleasing, and the mids are just nonexistant. From what I remember, the e2c did a way better job with this album.
It sucks because I really want to like these, and I'd try any mod to make them more pleasing to my ears.
So, my question is, do the shure triflanges/biflanges or soft flex sleeves really make the um1s sound completely different i.e. more definition, less veil? If they do, I'll order some and give these another try. Unfortunately, I only have e2c soft flexes.

Update: I'll just echo what everyone else said about the Shure sleeves. I received my shure triflages and soft flex sleeves from earphone solutions yesterday. Modded triflanges are just much better! Mids and highs come through, and there is even a bit of sparkle, but probably not enough to wow Ety fanboys. I still use treble boost, but they are fine without eq. Bass quantity does seem to have reduced but that is fine with me. Also you lose a lot of isolation with the tri/bi flanges. The flanged sleeves will help you get a more fun and involving sound, but the soft flexes are more comfortable, and certainly an improvement over the comfy sleeves. So I'd reccomend both. One things for certain: I am not using comfys anymore. I just don't like them at all, and they make my music sound rather lifeless. Thankfully these sleeves temporarily cured my upgraditis. I'll use these for a couple months before I can afford E500/UM56.

Oct 17, 2006 at 8:00 PM Post #154 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by leng jai
Since I'm loving the ergonomics of the UM1s too much, theres only one thing left to do...EQ!

I EQ mine and they are great. a boost at around 9k makes these things come back to life.

Oct 17, 2006 at 8:20 PM Post #156 of 516
Just got my UM1's this week. From what I've listened too, they sound great. With the short comply tips, they're EXTREMELY comfy. I plan to make some custom eartips too, to see how they work.
etysmile.gif

Oct 18, 2006 at 12:29 AM Post #157 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by ill_phenom
Update: I'll just echo what everyone else said about the Shure sleeves. I received my shure triflages and soft flex sleeves from earphone solutions yesterday. Modded triflanges are just much better! Mids and highs come through, and there is even a bit of sparkle, but probably not enough to wow Ety fanboys. I still use treble boost, but they are fine without eq. Bass quantity does seem to have reduced but that is fine with me. Also you lose a lot of isolation with the tri/bi flanges. The flanged sleeves will help you get a more fun and involving sound, but the soft flexes are more comfortable, and certainly an improvement over the comfy sleeves. So I'd reccomend both. One things for certain: I am not using comfys anymore. I just don't like them at all, and they make my music sound rather lifeless. Thankfully these sleeves temporarily cured my upgraditis. I'll use these for a couple months before I can afford E500/UM56.

Which mod do you do? Do you cut part of the tube off or do you cut off the smallest flange?

So I'm guessing the iPod treble booster works well enough?

Oct 18, 2006 at 1:07 AM Post #158 of 516
I have a question, how loud is the UM1 unampped? How does it compare to ER6i in the drivability department.

I listen to mostly classical, and my im716 is sometimes not even loud enough with max volume from my Toshiba Gigabeat S. So I'm getting a new pair.

Oct 18, 2006 at 1:39 AM Post #160 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by retic3nt
Which mod do you do? Do you cut part of the tube off or do you cut off the smallest flange?

So I'm guessing the iPod treble booster works well enough?

This is what some of us did to our Tri-flanges

1) Cut the stem so that it sits about 2-3mms from the largest flange
2) Cut off the smallest flange, try to cut the remnants of the stem from the 3rd flange you just cut off to sit flush with the now top flange of your bi-flange
3) There, you got your Shure Bi-Flange
biggrin.gif

Oct 19, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #162 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by TimmyMac
Anyone try painting these things? I want to try flat or gloss black, or else a glossy deep brown. The clear plastic just looks so ugly

The BLACK UM2 will be coming out on November 1st. We have one here and they look very sharp.

We posted some pictures of the new black UM2 here:

BLACK UM2

My earphones of choice now are the black UM2 with Short Comply Tips. Right after that I also love my Shure E500 which delivers more detail on the mids and highs but the UM2 delivers more bass and as wakeride74 mentioned, the UM2 are fun!

Oct 19, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #163 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by Flavio T
My earphones of choice now are the black UM2 with Short Comply Tips. Right after that I also love my Shure E500 which delivers more detail on the mids and highs but the UM2 delivers more bass and as wakeride74 mentioned, the UM2 are fun!

I was wondering what the vote for earphonesolutions.com was going to be. I know that the site says the overall favourite IEM (for the editor there) is the UM2 but that was before the E500 came out and was available... wasn't sure whether that might have knocked it off top spot.

Guess not... which means that, for the moment, my ideal next IEM is still the UM2 then (of course that can still change before I finally have enough cash to splurge for them!)

Oct 20, 2006 at 12:00 AM Post #164 of 516
Sorry I started reading this thread but there is wayyy too much info
biggrin.gif
(jkin)

Anyway I have 2 main questions. The UM2's weren't even on my list of buds to purchase because a) I never heard of them and 2) they seem like they are only designed to work with comply tips.

My main beef with these tips is that you need to replace them. While I know in theory they sound and feel better than reusable silicone tips I'd like to have something I don't need to worry about and dish extra money out. But I saw in this thread that someone has triflanges/flanges. I can't find them on the Westone website so I was wondering if you guys are just using another brand's tips?

Anyway please answer the following questions:
  1. Are there any filters that need to be replaced (like ER4P's as opposed to Shure E3/4)
  2. Where can I buy the U2's for a good price/good service?
  3. Are the cords removeable? Why?
  4. Since these are dual drivers do they outperform the Shure E4 (my main other choice)? How does the bass, mids, highs compare?
  5. If you need to get flanges seperately where can I get them?
  6. On my Grado SR60 the sound is terrific, but after prolonged listening my head starts to throb? If I leave it on for longer I will get a headache. With my Shure E3's I never have this problem, I can wear them for hours and hours with no headache. I think this is a "transparency" issue.
  7. How long do a set of Comply's last for?
  8. While I'm aware these need no amp, I wanted to know how an amp affects them. Is it a big difference?

Thanks! You guys rock.

Oct 20, 2006 at 2:44 AM Post #165 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brohken
While I know in theory they sound and feel better than reusable silicone tips

Quite the opposite. The triple flange tips improved the sound by leaps and bounds over the complys as far as I'm concerned. And I went through a pair of complys about every month or so. As long as you don't listen too loud they aren't fatiguing at all, cords are permanent, seems they outperform E4's in the bass department, and are about even in the highs/detail?? maybe someone else can fill me in on this.

The amp isn't terribly noticeable, but I find the sound more full and comforting with an amp attached (I use a MINT design).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back