The Westone UM1/UM2 Appreciation Thread
Dec 30, 2005 at 1:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 516

firefox360

500+ Head-Fier
With alot of new Westone UM1 owners (myself included), and a solid amount of fans for the Westone UM2's, I thought it'd be appropriate to start a "Westone UM1 / UM2 / 3 Appreciation Thread"!

I just received the UM1's today, and I'm awed with how great they sound, for the price I paid. They are an excellent pair of IEM's, and being a single driver IEM, I'm beginning to wonder how great the dual-driver UM2's would sound!
etysmile.gif

I don't have any problems with the cable length, although like most, I'de like to have a more sparkly treble. Whereas now, I feel the treble is a bit overwhelmed by the mids a tad bit. Although it's still an enjoyable headphone, the extra treble couldn't hurt.
tongue.gif

EDIT (FEB-24-2007): Attempted to changed the thread title to accommodate the new Westone 3's that are coming out soon, however doesn't seem to work...
confused.gif

Let this be the universal Westone's appreciation thread!
580smile.gif

Dec 30, 2005 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 516
i do think the cord is a tad too short. takin my mp3 player out of my pocket to adjust the song leaves me with no slack. a few inches more would be great. i have no other complaints so far, and that is just a minor one.

the build quality seems phenomenal on these puppies.

otherwise i love them. im gonna go dig up my old pcdp and hook these up and really enjoy the sound.

and now i want the um2's, actually es2's, all that much more. but for my first entry to higher level IEM's this is makin me smile. burnin in now.

Dec 30, 2005 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 516
i can't wait till i get a pair.

Dec 30, 2005 at 5:48 AM Post #6 of 516
Hi, my first time psoting here. Has anyone done a comparison of the UM1s and the iM716? I'm looking for something along the price range of sub $150, with the UM1s at $109 and the iM716 at $119 in mind. Thanks.

Dec 30, 2005 at 7:44 AM Post #7 of 516
Having owned both, I can say that they are far and away the most comfortable IEMs I've tried. Comfort is identical between the two.

The UM2 sounds amazing, but portable cans at that price made little sense for me, as I only use them on planes. But the UM1 hit the sweet spot and I love them.

I very much prefer the UM1 to the e3c, and the UM2 to the e4c.

Dec 30, 2005 at 8:02 AM Post #8 of 516
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rolen_it_Up
Having owned both, I can say that they are far and away the most comfortable IEMs I've tried. Comfort is identical between the two.

The UM2 sounds amazing, but portable cans at that price made little sense for me, as I only use them on planes. But the UM1 hit the sweet spot and I love them.

I very much prefer the UM1 to the e3c, and the UM2 to the e4c.

Owning the UM2, they're the most comfortable of all IEM's I've tried...and soundwise, IMO, the best sounding IEM's to date...
etysmile.gif

Dec 30, 2005 at 1:34 PM Post #11 of 516
<-- Another happy Um2 owner
smily_headphones1.gif

btw i´ve seen that the most use the short comply tips , i wonder why , i can use them both , long comply is a bit uncomforatble for me , but maybe this will change with some time...

Dec 30, 2005 at 6:57 PM Post #12 of 516
Not worth the high pricetag, but they have a nice clean soundsignature.. the UM2's do have a 'musical' feeling, but that doens't support the lack of detail..

Dec 31, 2005 at 4:52 PM Post #13 of 516
I agree with bug, there is nothing better in this price range. the comfort is without equal and the cord design is significantly better than shures. I always had problems with the e2c cord pulling over the ears but no such trouble with the um1. best pound for pound closed portable headphone in its price range.
etysmile.gif

Dec 31, 2005 at 6:33 PM Post #15 of 516
UM2's a keeper for sure, the perfect NYC subway can. I'll be going for custom molds Tuesday so you know they're not going anywhere. Can't wait to see how the UM56 effects SQ and since I believe the audiologist will need to hold on to everything during the process I picked up a pair of Altec Lansing iM716's as a backup. Nothing like being prepared to rationalize new purchases.
etysmile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back