The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
May 23, 2024 at 6:15 PM Post #89,866 of 91,358
2 words: Black Cat
(IEM cable by NiceHCK for ~$20 on AliExpress)

Still keeps many of the pokemon Chi-Fi IEMs at under $50 (IEM + improved cable), and still represent an AMAZING value!

$20 is also a 100% increase in cost though - and I already have the stock cables here.

As I shared privately with some of my buddies offline, IMHO Chi-Fi made very big steps in the last 1-2 years to shrink the gap from TOTL IEMs.
TOTL IEMs are still better, but their improvement was not nearly as big (harder to improve as you get closer to the peak of the summit...)

Would you rather have Storm or the best thing that KZ/CCA makes?

Love the commercials,
great way to kill the mood.

Ugh, not looking forward to that part. I'm not above paying for Spotify, but I'm not sure the people in that FB group did.

I was hoping you were trying to answer the question for us as well. We use dongles, daps, portable and desktop systems. I would not expect you to use all systems, it just takes too long. You can use your Mojo primarily and then check results quickly to see if any different on the dongle.

I mean I can, but probably as a supplemental round of auditions after determining that the unit might have potential (i.e. it's not terribad).

May 23, 2024 at 8:15 PM Post #89,868 of 91,358
How good are desktop equipment for IEMs?
All kinds of good mostly. Especially with less-sensitive IEMs and lower-impedance amps.
But that's why I'm wondering whether and to what extent desktop DAC/AMP stacks are suitable for IEMs
I've been using desktop amps with IEMs since the beginning, and it's only been Andro2020 and VE Phonix that I've ever noticed much hiss, again depending on the amp itself. Desktop amps are just larger versions of many of the portable amps that get so much attention with IEMs. The big advantage desktop amps have generally is the larger current they can supply, which some IEMs like IER-Z1R, Annihilator & Diva for example will take full advantage of.

Take the DMP-Z1 for example, is it portable? Is it desktop? I guess you could call it either, but I never heard Z1R sound better than with that amp.
and you also have to take amp/DAC colouration into account, so different combinations of amp/DAC/IEM will sound different (and not always positively so) depending on synergy.
This is always true whether desktop or portable.

So a little while ago, I decided to do something a little crazy.

Curious as to just whether any of these budget stalwarts were actually the "giant killers" that some have claimed them to be, I went on a mini-spree and picked up a handful of units to survey. And thanks to the generosity of some Watercoolers, there's even a bonus unit to check out, in the form of a CCA Trio. 🥰

ChiFiSurveyQ22024a.png

I've been a little busy as of late, so the units have just been sitting there, undergoing what I call passive burn-in. But now, it looks like I'll finally be able to get to them this coming weekend! 🥳

ChiFiSurveyQ22024b.png

I have no idea what to expect, let's see how this goes! :relaxed:
Some of those I've heard, others I haven't. CCA Trio is the real deal, and while not a "kilobuck killer" it still punches way above its weight. It's just about the best all-DD IEM I've ever heard, and I'll happily use it for a casual listen on the go or at my desk at work instead of something 100x the price.

You mean better than this? :smirk:

1716485021408.png
...and it's been all downhill since then for the carnival barker.

May 23, 2024 at 9:03 PM Post #89,869 of 91,358
1716495816148.png

What would be some recommendations for an IEM and DAP COMBO for under or upto $2K that specializes in Ambient/Electronic Music like this:
RoonShareImage-638520782806295740.png

By specializing I should add a soundstage that is cavernous (or at least your version of cavernous) while remaining detailed for the ambient sounds and with bass that makes you feel the music (V-Shaped is the easy way to say it but I don't want to prejudice or pigeonhole it to limit replies). I know this can be a difficult ask and I also know that it has been likely covered here a few times in the past to a similar degree but I figured if you have a few minutes you would offer me some recommendations based on your experience.

Thanks in advance and hope everyone here is doing great, I have been dealing with a few serious family issues the last 6 weeks or so, so please pardon my absence. :)

1IH
Oriolus Szalayi is something that comes to my mind. If you get a chance, please give it a try.

May 23, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #89,870 of 91,358
Absolutely drooling over the ONIX XM5 design… has anyone had an opportunity to try it yet? - I know only being released around now but just in case it’s been at any recent shows!

May 23, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #89,872 of 91,358
May 23, 2024 at 11:56 PM Post #89,873 of 91,358
If you could only own three iems, and they have to be under $500 each, which ones would you choose?
Three fantastic sets and with a decent amount of change out of $500 for each!

NiceHCK Himalaya
DITA Project M
Simgot EA1000

May 23, 2024 at 11:58 PM Post #89,874 of 91,358
If you could only own three iems, and they have to be under $500 each, which ones would you choose?
One for me would be the Etymotic ER2XR. The main reason is the isolation, they isolate much better than any other iems I've tried, and that is very useful. They really block out train or airplane noise, especially with foam tips. I use the yellow Shure tips as they're better constructed than the Etymotic ones.

May 24, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #89,876 of 91,358
One for me would be the Etymotic ER2XR. The main reason is the isolation, they isolate much better than any other iems I've tried, and that is very useful. They really block out train or airplane noise, especially with foam tips. I use the yellow Shure tips as they're better constructed than the Etymotic ones.
Besides the reasons you mentioned, the deep insertion can touch your soul!

May 24, 2024 at 12:26 AM Post #89,877 of 91,358
May 24, 2024 at 12:37 AM Post #89,880 of 91,358
Some of those I've heard, others I haven't. CCA Trio is the real deal, and while not a "kilobuck killer" it still punches way above its weight. It's just about the best all-DD IEM I've ever heard, and I'll happily use it for a casual listen on the go or at my desk at work instead of something 100x the price.

That's exactly in line with what I've heard about the Trio so far. Who knows, I could adore the thing to death, or very much not, I'll know soon enough. :smiley:

I typically use customs for when I want really good isolation. Great fit, no pressure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back