The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 30, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #88,021 of 89,506
While I’m loving the R8 II so far, the case is annoying in that I’m finding a few 4.4mm plugs won’t connect properly as the gap isn’t sufficiently wide… these aren’t even particularly big plugs either! Looks like I’ll have to ditch the case.

IMG_3443.jpeg
The case sucks. I don’t use it. Paging Dignis…

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:05 PM Post #88,022 of 89,506
Im no marketeer and dont have numbers, but that same tactic makes me not want to buy them.

I understand your sentiment but ultimately they are there to make money and the more they sell the more money they will make.

I am certain that isn't their only motivation but that has to factor into it to so extent, I think that is just common sense.

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:17 PM Post #88,023 of 89,506
Im no marketeer and dont have numbers, but that same tactic makes me not want to buy them.
They have no problem with that; you aren’t their target demo. They are whale hunting, it’s all about selling the product as a “luxury” item to people with too much money that don’t need it.

I agree with you 100% though. I am much more interested in companies who take their time and release sporadically. Just feels like more effort was put behind each release that way. Whether that’s true or not? Couldn’t say. Just my 2 cents or ramen or whatever we are saying now!

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #88,024 of 89,506
The case sucks. I don’t use it. Paging Dignis…
You could always contact Vishnu Leather to have them build a custom case for your DAP.

They're quite expensive but I've yet to encounter better.

Vishnu.jpg

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:25 PM Post #88,025 of 89,506
You could always contact Vishnu Leather to have them build a custom case for your DAP.

They're quite expensive but I've yet to encounter better.

Damn, these are fresh! Thanks for letting us know

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #88,026 of 89,506
Yeah, that's the one drawback, the form factor. For me, that didn't manifest as a fit issue, more like a wind-noise issue. :p

Hmm, I didn't realize that there are few of these in the Classifieds. One as low as $250 shipped. I'm now srsly considering picking up a back-up pair. Oh nvm, listing closed.
Seriously your not missing much. I own them and as good as they were once with their tramendous bass impact and extension. It is bassier than the IER-Z1R. These were the top of the line Sony bass IEMS. But it also has a lot of undue warmth associated with that bass.

By todays standards the sound is down right murky. Bass back in the days was all about the bass and not so much the technical element to make a bassy IEM sound correct. I was the biggest fan of old Sony sound until I realized just how much better even budget level IEMs are in comparison. There is a reason why Sony moved on from this design.

Now old Audio Technics dual push pull designs. CKR-9 ad CKR-10.. Those still hold up amazingly well even by today's standards. I miss the days of Audio Technica IEM greatness.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2024 at 6:32 PM Post #88,027 of 89,506
What is your opinion on a company releasing IEM’s often? Specifically TOTL price IEM’s..

Im noticing that im not that attracted to UM Iem’s due to the shear amount of totl iems coming out. To me it almost seems out of focus, as if they did not decide what the actual best iem was that they could make.

But you could also say: more flavors, and only the best can make multiple iems on top level of different flavors….

I dont know, but personally I like the approach of something being build to be able to enjoy a lifetime (even if you replace it early) without being “bested” by that same maker within months.

Like storm, if storm 2 was released 6 months later, the value and story of storm 1 eould be diminished. As would the experience for the buyer (does depend on the person ofc.)
However in the case of UM, their TOTL flagship models co-exist with one another. It is not replacing the previous model. And each model has a different tuning to justify its place with respect to the other models in their lineup.

Having said that, UM's pricing is too expensive. Some of the well known models are available for a good price in the classifieds.

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:41 PM Post #88,029 of 89,506
Website or email address? I don’t do social media. Thanks in advance.
I contacted Vishnu via Instagram, which is apparently the norm. Don't think they have a website nor do I know their email address unfortunately.

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #88,030 of 89,506
Seriously your not missing much. I own them and as good as they were once with their tramendous bass impact and extension. It is bassier than the IER-Z1R. These were the top of the line Sony bass IEMS. But it also has a lot of undue warmth associated with that bass.

By todays standards the sound is down right murky. Bass back in the days was all about the bass and not so much the technical element to make a bassy IEM sound correct. I was the biggest fan of old Sony sound until I realized just how much better even budget level IEMs are in comparison. There is a reason why Sony moved on from this design.

Well seeing as I already have them, I'm definitely not missing them! 🤣

Apr 30, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #88,031 of 89,506
When someone is selling Hi-Fi... and the reason mentioned is..."I am getting out of the hobby?"
What does that even mean?
What was the purpose at the beginning of buying Hi-Fi?
I get it...if someone needs money for other purposes...but what does it mean, I am getting out of the hobby?
To me, that sounds like: "I am getting out of my skin", literally :)
Maybe moving to “consumer” devices for convenience?

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:14 PM Post #88,032 of 89,506
When someone is selling Hi-Fi... and the reason mentioned is..."I am getting out of the hobby?"
What does that even mean?
What was the purpose at the beginning of buying Hi-Fi?
I get it...if someone needs money for other purposes...but what does it mean, I am getting out of the hobby?
To me, that sounds like: "I am getting out of my skin", literally :)
See:Delusional, Misled, Rejecting reality.

They'll be back in 2 months with a Mattw (Collection of iems), pulling multiple Damz Hurst and Scubis along the way.

You can check out of this hobby but you can never leave.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 30, 2024 at 7:19 PM Post #88,034 of 89,506
I always read advice on never blind buying but what can you suggest to me who doesn’t live near any hi-fi audio stores to demo?

https://canjamglobal.com/shows/socal2024/

EDIT: To expand on the above...

CanJams (or equivalent meets/shows) are crucial to expanding your personal knowledge base in this hobby, for two main reasons:
  • You'll get to hear pretty much any current model that you might be interested in, but you'll also meet people that own and bring older models that you've always been curious about.
  • You'll meet people that have similar preferences and (ideally) more experience than you. With each one of these that you meet, you'll have yet another set of ears that you trust.
And yes, I concede that there are travel costs with going to a show. But (a) shows are fun; (b) those travel costs are usually offset by not risking restocking fees from returns (or losing value from selling unliked items); and most importantly (c) they allow you to zero in on what you like faster, because time is a finite commodity that nobody can afford to waste.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back