The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 30, 2024 at 7:27 PM Post #88,036 of 89,726
What is your opinion on a company releasing IEM’s often? Specifically TOTL price IEM’s..

Im noticing that im not that attracted to UM Iem’s due to the shear amount of totl iems coming out. To me it almost seems out of focus, as if they did not decide what the actual best iem was that they could make.

But you could also say: more flavors, and only the best can make multiple iems on top level of different flavors….

I dont know, but personally I like the approach of something being build to be able to enjoy a lifetime (even if you replace it early) without being “bested” by that same maker within months.

Like storm, if storm 2 was released 6 months later, the value and story of storm 1 eould be diminished. As would the experience for the buyer (does depend on the person ofc.)
I guess it depends on the brand and where they are in the market. In handheld gaming market there is a brand called Ayaneo. They release so many models so quickly that your stuff would likely be outdated within one quarter. In an Q&A, their CEO explains that they have to constantly release new products to capture new customers since they don’t have that kind of reach like Asus or Steam.

But yeah, I would be very skeptical to buy their consoles. What if they literally cannot honor the warranty of their last year model?

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:31 PM Post #88,037 of 89,726
I definitely plan on going to CanJam. I think the closest one is SoCal for me.

I was at the SoCal CanJam last year and it was great.

There were a lot of familiar faces (from videos and previously posted pictures) and a lot of people that definitely knew each other or were occupied with talking but it's still quite easy to meet people, make friends but, most importantly, really try out some awesome gear.

My only issue was I focused so much time on headphones that I didn't give IEMs a fair shake last year but that's definitely something I'll remedy for this year.

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:36 PM Post #88,038 of 89,726

There were a lot of familiar faces (from videos and previously posted pictures) and a lot of people that definitely knew each other or were occupied with talking but it's still quite easy to meet people, make friends but, most importantly, really try out some awesome gear.

My only issue was I focused so much time on headphones that I didn't give IEMs a fair shake last year but that's definitely something I'll remedy for this year.

I plan to do the opposite for SoCal this year. I want to audition as many headphones as I can unless I try one and really don’t think they’ll work for me, but I think I am ready to dabble into the headphone side!

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #88,039 of 89,726

I think so, though Dallas is also relatively close assuming you're flying.

And yes lol, I do realize that I'm advocating quite a commitment. I myself went two years deep into the hobby before attending my first CanJam. But once I did, I realized that there was no, and still isn't, any substitute.

Haha, yeah, two days might seem like a long time. But in reality, it's only 15 hours of show time.

I plan to do the opposite for SoCal this year. I want to audition as many headphones as I can unless I try one and really don’t think they’ll work for me, but I think I am ready to dabble into the headphone side!

😮🤞

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:44 PM Post #88,040 of 89,726
One of the things I often wonder about here, is how y'all would like some IEMs from yesteryear?

Like any hobby, and the community that forms around it, Head-Fi tends to go through stages. At times, some prominent members have preferred neutrality. Fast forwarding from that, bass cannons were in vogue for a while. And now it seems that lusher and richer - but still balanced - signatures are in favor now.

I mention this because though the Z1R is popular amongst some here, it's equally not favored by others... and I can't help feeling that Sony's preceding flagship IEM could be loved by many of you. The XBA-Z5, with it's DD + 2BA configuration - was a richer and fuller listen than people preferred at the time. Could this be a case where that product was simply released at the wrong time (2014)? :thinking:

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...st-being-real-one-among-portable-iems.960837/
I liked the original IE800 but the microphones cable and the ridiculous connector system killed it for me.

I would like to try the Final Piano Forte, it doesn’t use ear tips. It just rests in your ear canal.

1714520649256.jpeg

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:47 PM Post #88,041 of 89,726
I liked the original IE800 but the microphones cable and the ridiculous connector system killed it for me.

I would like to try the Final Piano Forte, it doesn’t use ear tips. It just rests in your ear canal.

Which Forte series is on your radar? @Piotr Michalak has a really great review of them all including the lab series on his YouTube channel. As an avid earbud lover, I’ve been curious about these for such a long time as well!

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #88,042 of 89,726

Why am I not surprised you want to get these “interesting” looking IEMs…

Apr 30, 2024 at 7:48 PM Post #88,043 of 89,726
Apr 30, 2024 at 8:24 PM Post #88,044 of 89,726

This year will be my first CanJam! Hope to see lots of fellow Head-Fiers there and put some faces to names.

Apr 30, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #88,045 of 89,726
This year will be my first CanJam! Hope to see lots of fellow Head-Fiers there and put some faces to names.

You're gonna love it! 🥰 Cal-i-for-nia shows are unforgettable!

Don't forget your Watercooler badge!

Apr 30, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #88,046 of 89,726

Yeah… the Pianoforte series are fantastic. Should try the Lab II as well. :)

Apr 30, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #88,047 of 89,726
Aroma Fei Wan

IMG_0319.jpeg

I just took delivery of this iem yesterday and its been blowing me away. I was up much too late listening non stop to this epic set of monitors. The dynamics are just on another level. It seems to be highly tip sensitive and I have settled on a few that give me several different sound sigs that line up with my library. With indie rock, metal, etc these are literally the most visceral iems I have ever heard hands down. I thought I was hooked on the Volur bass, but the FW is just a whole other world here. I will report back with more impressions that make more sense once I have had more time, but these are truly impressive and special iems.

One more pic before I leave hehe.

IMG_0323.jpeg

Apr 30, 2024 at 9:10 PM Post #88,048 of 89,726

Will see you there, brotha!

Apr 30, 2024 at 9:15 PM Post #88,049 of 89,726

Headphones are amazing. There's so many good brands and set ups and price point entries. If you know your preferred sound signature, it's easy to spend time at the right booths/rooms and figure out what you like.

Or, go to the headphones.com booth where they typically have an entire catalogue of ones they sell (they'll have Meze, Dan Clark, etc.) so you don't have to go to individual booths to demo.

Also, if the Audio Technica Booth bring them again, the W2022 is by far one of the prettiest audio equipment of all time (above any headphones or IEMs) IMHO, with some of the best bass response ever.

I may bring my JM Audio XTC^2.5 if anyone has any curiosity to try them (boutique company like SJY).

Apr 30, 2024 at 10:16 PM Post #88,050 of 89,726
Aroma Fei Wan

IMG_0319.jpeg

I just took delivery of this iem yesterday and its been blowing me away. I was up much too late listening non stop to this epic set of monitors. The dynamics are just on another level. It seems to be highly tip sensitive and I have settled on a few that give me several different sound sigs that line up with my library. With indie rock, metal, etc these are literally the most visceral iems I have ever heard hands down. I thought I was hooked on the Volur bass, but the FW is just a whole other world here. I will report back with more impressions that make more sense once I have had more time, but these are truly impressive and special iems.

One more pic before I leave hehe.

IMG_0323.jpeg

What's that shiny thing between the golden thing and leather thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back