The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 25, 2024 at 10:07 AM Post #87,586 of 88,410
There are people who listen to music and trying to understand what the song mean i find a lot of people are like that, but there are also some people i find that is like me , we listen to pattern some are energetic uplifting, some are sad, some are fun, etc. Hmmm this question make me wonder more i need to look up why in war certain culture use drums or music. Interesting indeed.
There is something very mysterious about music. If something is off key or detuned, you will spot it even if your not a musician. This is different from going off key in a masterful way, it creates a tension, and the resulting resolve can be very satisfying. This is true even in simple diatonic theory, if your at the V, you instinctively want to I, maybe with a short detour within the time signature. Sophisticated harmonies can be an acquired taste, in contrast rhythmic passages seem to have a universal appeal.

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:09 AM Post #87,588 of 88,410
I'm not Korean, but I once listened to this endlessly, so that I could learn how to sing it impeccably, and yes it was to impress a girl:

I wish I could say something noble about the appreciation of music and all that, but honestly, sometimes it's just a biological imperative at work.

Did it work?

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #87,589 of 88,410
I wish I could say something noble about the appreciation of music

I read an interesting analysis once. In the Bible it says "In the beginning was the word...". "Word" basically means "vibration", which produces sound. So what this Bible verse is essentially saying is that sound (like the cosmic "Aum") is the primary and most primal aspect of the manifested/created universe. It is thus that, of all of our 5 senses, through sound in general and music in particular we are able to be stirred, inspired and affected to the deepest reaches of our being. If this isn't a noble pursuit I don't know what is.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2024 at 10:10 AM Post #87,590 of 88,410
There is something very mysterious about music. If something is off key or detuned, you will spot it even if your not a musician. This is different from going off key in a masterful way, it creates a tension, and the resulting resolve can be very satisfying. This is true even in simple diatonic theory, if your at the V, you instinctively want to I, maybe with a short detour within the time signature. Sophisticated harmonies can be an acquired taste, in contrast rhythmic passages seem to have a universal appeal.
Funnily enough, that's not really true. There was a study conducted with some native tribes, where they were played chords on a guitar and they did not care either way, harmonic or disharmonic. It's a culturally learned thing.

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #87,591 of 88,410
Lots of music for me to try.. from a somewhat unfamiliar genre group too, and also to be listened in a totally different way to how I normally listen to music.. I can't wait to 'escape' to a different dimension 😆

This is a great way to keep the hobby fun and alive without having to spend on newer and newer gears.. LOL
Add this one to your list.

I am an avid electronic music listener for the last 13 years or so, and it’s one of the best albums I have found regardless of genre recently.

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #87,593 of 88,410
Dammit, there goes my attempt at playing nice to the tone deaf :k701smile:
To me that means that there is no right or wrong way to make music, inherently.

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #87,595 of 88,410
Funnily enough, that's not really true. There was a study conducted with some native tribes, where they were played chords on a guitar and they did not care either way, harmonic or disharmonic. It's a culturally learned thing.
Whether it is nurture or genetic aside,
two examples.
Monk and Gismonti

Monk uses discord partly as a rythmic accent or punctuation to me where Gismonti uses discord to build tension which is released into a beautiful melody. I am sure there are more examples though both of these composers are quite successful and I get the feeling this is how they interpret the world and I have enjoyed immensely hearing/living in, the worlds they created.

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #87,596 of 88,410
Whether it is nurture or genetic aside,
two examples.
Monk and Gismonti

Monk uses discord partly as a rythmic accent or punctuation to me where Gismonti uses discord to build tension which is released into a beautiful melody. I am sure there are more examples though both of these composers are quite successful and I get the feeling this is how they interpret the world and I have enjoyed immensely hearing/living in, the worlds they created.
A modern master would be Alan Holdsworth. Absolutely alien, yet beautiful.

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:21 AM Post #87,597 of 88,410
Did it work?

Man, that was soooo long ago! Almost thirty years ago! :open_mouth:

She's still asleep right now, I'll ask her when she wakes up.

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #87,598 of 88,410
I read an interesting analysis once. In the Bible it says "In the beginning was the word...". "Word" basically means "vibration", which produces sound. So what this Bible verse is essentially saying is that sound (like the cosmic "Aum") is the primary and most primal aspect of the manifested/created universe. It is thus that, of all of our 5 senses, through sound in general and music in particular we are able to be stirred, inspired and affected to the deepest reaches of our being. If this isn't a noble pursuit I don't know what is.
I'm going to vibrate tonight when I'm alone.

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:47 AM Post #87,599 of 88,410
I'm going to vibrate tonight when I'm alone.

IMG_1140.jpeg

Apr 25, 2024 at 10:48 AM Post #87,600 of 88,410

Users who are viewing this thread

Back