The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 24, 2024 at 10:36 AM Post #87,482 of 91,342
Now im no mathematician, but shouldn’t everything add up to 100% to be comparable to others?

Um, it does? Tuning categories add up to 100% and Tech categories add up to 100%
It's such a personal thing and I don't believe anyone has (or can) standardise it. There are just so many variables.
This was actually an attempt on my part to delve into the utterly subjective variables of it all, the exact opposite of standardization.

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #87,483 of 91,342
I think some people were taking about this before but, what are people’s thoughts on the radon 6 vs the Annihilator?
I know it's a bit of a drive from Seattle but you could schedule a trip to visit FiR headquarters in Vancouver, WA to demo the Radon 6 (and their other IEMs) if you're really not wanting to blind buy.

I've owned 3 out of the 4 Frontier series IEMs and really enjoy their house sound. The kinetic DD makes for a great tonal foundation. The Rn6 is a fairly balanced IEM with killer bass and fine-tunability via the ATOM modules. I ultimately found Annihilator to be the more engaging and "fun" IEM when comparing the two head-to-head. Of course this is for my personal preferences and the music I typically listen to. Both are great IEMs that offer unique flavors and features that make them quite different from one another.

Apr 24, 2024 at 10:53 AM Post #87,484 of 91,342
Apr 24, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #87,485 of 91,342
In other news this thread is 3 years old today. My aim with this place has always been to create a space where people could be free to pursue their love of this hobby no matter how they chose to pursue it without being committed to any ideology or being focused on the tastes and ideals of a single person or group of people...and in the process being able to banter about their other interests, share fellowship and create community. To say that we have been successful at this is a bit of an understatement-- in fact this community has grown, thrived and expanded beyond anything I could have hoped or imagined on April 24, 2021. The Watercooler stands as a testament to the power of a community driven by the tastes and ideals of its membership-- not the dictates of a few-- and its success is entirely due to the efforts, disposition and contributions of everyone who is a part of it. Cheers all, here's to another 3 years.

Screen Shot 2024-04-24 at 6.46.23 AM.png330692819_MainImage_001_l.jpg

Congrats!!! And here a special (not sure if it has been posted before in this thread) song to celebrate 🥳🎉

Apr 24, 2024 at 11:34 AM Post #87,486 of 91,342
Um, it does? Tuning categories add up to 100% and Tech categories add up to 100%

This was actually an attempt on my part to delve into the utterly subjective variables of it all, the exact opposite of standardization.
Fair enough if you split it 😋

So here is my take:

Tuning:
Bass: 30%
Mids: 45%
Treble: 25%
Tech:
PRaT: 20%
Timbre: 30%
Dynamics: 15%
Imaging/Depth/Soundstage/Background: 35%

I’m mostly focused on finding something that sounds lifelike to me. But with some physicality to it (like irl, when you feel a piano reverb)

Apr 24, 2024 at 12:28 PM Post #87,487 of 91,342
Eeeehm... this is only (I sincerely hope so) a goodbye to reviewing and not to HF in general, right?

If not, then I would have to use this gif (again) unfortunately...
Bye.gif
Oh wait, I just did... :wink:

Anyway, I guess we'll keep in touch in the background. And who knows, maybe one sunny day, my youngest kid might even be able to give Lord Barnie (who has become a legend on HF over the past years) a big hug, as you don't live that far away afterall :)
Unfortunately, it is goodbye to HF in general. For the time being at least. I usually get dragged back into it at some point, but this time it will have to be with me kicking and screaming because I have too much else to do. Need. To. Focus. 😂

Plus, I doubt I will have access to a setup that bests my current "end game". 😁

SoA_VE7_LPGT.JPG

Of course we'll stay in touch in the background!

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:18 PM Post #87,488 of 91,342
Interesting, sharing mine as well:

Tuning:
Bass: 45%
Treble: 5%

Tech:
Timbre: 25%
Dynamics: 25%
Imaging/Depth/Soundstage/Background: 30%

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:32 PM Post #87,489 of 91,342

Chiming in as well

Tuning:
Bass: 40%
Treble: 15%

Tech:
Timbre: 50%
Dynamics: 10%
Imaging/Depth/Soundstage/Background: 20%

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:45 PM Post #87,490 of 91,342
Apr 24, 2024 at 2:54 PM Post #87,491 of 91,342
The FR graph debate is so funny to me. I think of it like looking a sheet of music notes. On paper, it can look beautiful and inviting, but it is only sounds as nice as the person playing it...

It may hit the right notes on paper, but that doesn't mean much until you actually hear it. IEMs are exactly the same way. Silly to argue otherwise imo, we all hear differently.

Don't live by graphs. Hear for yourself.

Happy 3 years to the Cooler.

Apr 24, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #87,492 of 91,342
The FR graph debate is so funny to me. I think of it like looking a sheet of music notes. On paper, it can look beautiful and inviting, but it is only sounds as nice as the person playing it...

It may hit the right notes on paper, but that doesn't mean much until you actually hear it. IEMs are exactly the same way. Silly to argue otherwise imo, we all hear differently.

Don't live by graphs. Hear for yourself.

Happy 3 years to the Cooler.
Not sure whether you're referring to my question or not, but that wasn't about FR graphs at all. It was simply the question what is most important for you in an IEM: bass, mids, or treble. Perhaps you don't give a sh!t about bass. Perhaps it's the only thing you care about. Or perhaps you find bass, mids, and treble equally important. Some do, most don't.

drftr

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:04 PM Post #87,493 of 91,342
Not sure whether you're referring to my question or not, but that wasn't about FR graphs at all. It was simply the question what is most important for you in an IEM: bass, mids, or treble. Perhaps you don't give a sh!t about bass. Perhaps it's the only thing you care about. Or perhaps you find bass, mids, and treble equally important. Some do, most don't.

drftr
this was about other debates happening around the site, some thoughts out loud... let me answer your question

FR-wise for myself I'd say 50% of my attention goes to the mids, 25% to the bass (which above all shouldn't be in my face), and 25% to treble (which shouldn't be offensive). While technicality-wise I'm mostly concerned about PRaT (30%), timbre (30%), dynamics/liveliness (20%), and imaging/palpability (20%). I'm not much of a resolution guy so in the end I could see myself downscale my $3,000 to a $300 IEM if it fits my bill. If that would come as a TWS I'd buy 5 of them and make my way to the door while backwards, bowing to you all.
this is my rough answer...

Tuning:
Bass: 50%
Mids: 40%
Treble: 10%
Tech:
Dynamics: 20%
Imaging/Depth/Soundstage/Background: 10%

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:08 PM Post #87,494 of 91,342
this was about other debates happening around the site, some thoughts out loud... let me answer your question

this is my rough answer...

Tuning:
Bass: 50%
Mids: 40%
Treble: 10%
Tech:
Dynamics: 20%
Imaging/Depth/Soundstage/Background: 10%
Tnx... I probably should have used the word tuning myself though, as FR by design probably refers to measurements in English.

drftr

Apr 24, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #87,495 of 91,342

Users who are viewing this thread

Back