The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 22, 2024 at 3:18 PM Post #87,302 of 88,437
Soo I just gave Vulfpeck a listen.

I have missed out on a lot. Life is good.
Watch enough of them and let the YouTube algorithm recommend some of the funkiest music it has to offer. :wink:

(Cory Wong, Mark Lettieri, Scary Pockets, Nate Smith, Rai Thistlethwayte & Ozone Squeeze, Louis Cole & KNOWER… the list goes on.)

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #87,303 of 88,437
Watch enough of them and let the YouTube algorithm recommend some of the funkiest music it has to offer. :wink:

(Cory Wong, Mark Lettieri, Scary Pockets, Nate Smith, Rai Thistlethwayte & Ozone Squeeze, Louis Cole & KNOWER… the list goes on.)
Fearless Flyers, Theo Katzmann, Thundercat, Tom Misch, The Funky Knuckles, Ghost-Note, Mononeon, Snarky Puppy, Domi & JD Beck, Jacob Collier, Metropole Orkestra, Abstract Orchestra, Chris Dave and the Drumheads, Dirty Loops, Jonathan Scales Fourchestra, Yussef Dayes, Kamaal Williams, Makaya Mcraven, Marquis Hill, Marc De Clive-Lowe, Maurice Brown, NoName, Richard Spaven, Terrace Martin, Jordan Rakei

I like music.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 4:16 PM Post #87,304 of 88,437
1713810914491.png

Newest from Penon. 2X8mm dynamics for bass, 2X Sonon BA for mids, 2X Sonion BA for trebles. 4X ESTs for ultra highs.
Absolutely spectacular on the PB5 amp.
1713811031595.png
So? How does it sound? :)

Apr 22, 2024 at 4:24 PM Post #87,305 of 88,437
Got in some loan IEMs from a friend to play with, Canpur CPBA7 and qdc 8PRO.
They sound quite similar, both have what I would call a warm tilt with a slightly dark treble.
The 8PRO reminds me of a darker SA6/Neon Pro, and as usual the qdc ergonomics is excellent. I wonder if it sound close to the qdc V14, perhaps a baby version without EST.

The CPBA7 follow a similar tuning as 8PRO but is thicker sounding, not going to say to much yet as its my first day with both.

Also got an R2R DAC for my desktop. Denafrips Ares 12th-1, still early but love it so far. Been many years since I had a more analogue sounding desktop setup, its like a missing link has been added to the audio.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 4:36 PM Post #87,306 of 88,437
I used to hate on DAPs. But I took in a HiBy rs6 on trade and now that I have it I don't think I can live without it. I'm getting close to selling all my other portable sources. All i have left are the btr7, cayin ru6, and HiBy fc6 anyways, but still. the rs6 is so so good. has anyone A/B compared it to the new rs8? looking at specs it seems like it's not much of an upgrade at all.

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #87,307 of 88,437
So? How does it sound? :)
Its spectacular. I am writing up a full impression on them. Will post about it soon on the Penon thread.

Tuning switches tilts the tonal character to be warmer and bassier. Treble switch gives more presence for a slight increase of upper mids and trebles. Big broad sound presentation. It goes from neutral harmonish to a mild V shaped tuning and all of it sounds fantastic. Your getting multiple sounds in one using the switches on these.

And the way they look!
1713820814727.png

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 5:32 PM Post #87,308 of 88,437
I would like to hear the Storm, because unless they have an absolutely revolutionary BA driver tech, absolutely no way they can be 'the best' - great DD bass is better than any just BA bass, quite simply. It's simply not possible to get that good. Of course if bass is not as big of a priority to you then this won't matter and that's just fine and ok. But for any IEM to be considered the best it has to be top tier in all frequencies, and if you just have BA bass, quite simply, you don't have that in the bass. And at that price point, that's just silly.

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:33 PM Post #87,309 of 88,437
Raven is one of my most disliked IEMs while Volür is one of my most liked.
What do you dislike about Raven? I wonder what I may be missing in my Volur evaluation. Also I recall Onyx may make the cut for you. How does it compare to Raven and Volur? Onyx has me curious.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 5:36 PM Post #87,310 of 88,437
I used to hate on DAPs. But I took in a HiBy rs6 on trade and now that I have it I don't think I can live without it. I'm getting close to selling all my other portable sources. All i have left are the btr7, cayin ru6, and HiBy fc6 anyways, but still. the rs6 is so so good. has anyone A/B compared it to the new rs8? looking at specs it seems like it's not much of an upgrade at all.
From your signature, it seems that you are heavily leaning on the full size headphones. Withe IEMs you got, I would suggest that RS6 is good enough for you, you should invest on better IEMs. However, if you use RS6 for headphones, I am not sure if it is a such a good idea.

Apr 22, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #87,311 of 88,437
This is a new brand for me called SWEEAR. They are from Hong Kong, and this review is on their flagship tribrid, called the SR11.

I had an open mind on this unit and came away impressed with the tuning. It just needs a bit more personality on the outside to grab someone's attention when browsing their web site or a retail shelf.

https://headfonics.com/sweear-sr11-review/

1698484049603.png

Hey Marcus,

For this do you think the stock cable is worth replacing?

Apr 22, 2024 at 6:21 PM Post #87,312 of 88,437
I would like to hear the Storm, because unless they have an absolutely revolutionary BA driver tech, absolutely no way they can be 'the best' - great DD bass is better than any just BA bass, quite simply. It's simply not possible to get that good. Of course if bass is not as big of a priority to you then this won't matter and that's just fine and ok. But for any IEM to be considered the best it has to be top tier in all frequencies, and if you just have BA bass, quite simply, you don't have that in the bass. And at that price point, that's just silly.
Personally, I care less about what drivers are being used and more about how it sounds. DD, BA, planar, bone conduction, it doesn't matter to me. Only the experience matters.
The thing that the STORM does better than any IEM is dynamics. When notes land it's just thunderous in a way I've simply never heard from any other IEM. The only minor nitpick I have is that I wish it had the subbass meatiness and texturing that the IE 900 has.

Apr 22, 2024 at 6:23 PM Post #87,313 of 88,437
Personally, I care less about what drivers are being used and more about how it sounds. DD, BA, planar, bone conduction, it doesn't matter to me. Only the experience matters.
The thing that the STORM does better than any IEM is dynamics. When notes land it's just thunderous in a way I've simply never heard from any other IEM. The only minor nitpick I have is that I wish it had the subbass meatiness and texturing that the IE 900 has.

I mean of course, I am talking about sound preference. Have not heard of any BA being able to SOUND as good as a very good DD in regards to bass. So yes, the only thing I care about is the sound. Sorry if that did not come out clearly. I care about sound more than chasing technicalities for example.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #87,314 of 88,437

It is simply not "The Best" IEM. I think you got that it was just considered and hyped that way by many, hence the title of the youtube video.
The best IEM is the one that moves you, that gives exhilarating experience, and goosebumps when you listen to it, and that is personal to everyone, it always will be.

Storm's BA Bass is a great bass, its quality and tactility to me surpasses many 'bad' DD bass, but a 'great' DD bass still reigns supreme simply because of its form factor. BA won't be able to replicate it perfectly, in fact no idea if it ever will.
Do give Storm a try, it is worth the experience, but please also bear in mind that Storm was designed for a specific sound presentation, that is to recreate a reference near-field studio monitors in IEM form. In this case, Storm is an impressive IEM bred to fulfill such vision.

I see many people coming to try STORM because it's hyped as "The best IEM", which is simply not true. As a result, many people demoed it and had preconceptions and super high expectations of what they personally perceive as what "The best IEM" would sound like. Some were impressed, some were utterly disappointed. So do try it with an open mind, experience it as it is and let it show you what it can do. If it works for you then awesome, if not, plenty of other choices out there, such is the joy of living in the golden era of IEMs!

Apr 22, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #87,315 of 88,437
It is simply not "The Best" IEM. I think you got that it was just considered and hyped that way by many, hence the title of the youtube video.
The best IEM is the one that moves you, that gives exhilarating experience, and goosebumps when you listen to it, and that is personal to everyone, it always will be.

Storm's BA Bass is a great bass, its quality and tactility to me surpasses many 'bad' DD bass, but a 'great' DD bass still reigns supreme simply because of its form factor. BA won't be able to replicate it perfectly, in fact no idea if it ever will.
Do give Storm a try, it is worth the experience, but please also bear in mind that Storm was designed for a specific sound presentation, that is to recreate a reference near-field studio monitors in IEM form. In this case, Storm is an impressive IEM bred to fulfill such vision.

I see many people coming to try STORM because it's hyped as "The best IEM", which is simply not true. As a result, many people demoed it and had preconceptions and super high expectations of what they personally perceive as what "The best IEM" would sound like. Some were impressed, some were utterly disappointed. So do try it with an open mind, experience it as it is and let it show you what it can do. If it works for you then awesome, if not, plenty of other choices out there, such is the joy of living in the golden era of IEMs!

Indeed. When I said I want to hear it I was not joking. I was just making my observation so far about DD vs BA in regards to bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back