The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 12, 2024 at 8:08 PM Post #86,431 of 89,465
Alright it's been a while since we've done any sort of survey. Now that we're 1/3 and two CanJams into 2024 what are the top 3-5 things on your radar right now?
5 things I don't need but want after CJNY
1. Aroma Audio Fei Wan: my favorite "energetic" set I've heard, although the Noble Ragnar is close behind and can be found for a better deal.
2. Canpur 622b: The first set with BC drivers that really convinced me to want to add one to the collection
3. Campfire Trifecta: As fun and bombastic as many have stated
4. Ibasso PB5- I fell in love with and acquired a Mass-Kobo 475, which has me looking to offload some desktop gear and more demanding headphones. The PB5 would be a great transportable complement.
5. Oriolus Monanchaa- Not sure it makes sense owning one alongside my Traillii but I really enjoyed my time with it

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:14 PM Post #86,432 of 89,465
Which would y’all rather own XE6 or RN6
That’s personal preference, I’m not a fan of the XE6, bloated mid bass that bleeds into the mids, congested warm mids, female vocals sound less present than male vocals. Bass Guitars has nice weight while brighter piano keys have no weight. Than getting into the lower highs there’s a dip but than bam the mid to upper highs are present again. It’s a very strange tuning that you either love or hate.
While the RN6 is a typical W sound signature just with the added bump in visceral bass from the open DD. The RN6 has a more balanced sound signature, depending on the cable and DAP it can really change the bass presence and treble presence. I personally really like this IEM, it has a great open sound with a nice balanced hard hitting bass, much better level of detail and female vocals sound like the veil has been lifted over the xe6.
If you’re not trying before buying the RN6 is the safer buy and I would have instantly sold the XE6.

I’d also consider the Fei Wan.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2024 at 8:17 PM Post #86,433 of 89,465
5 things I don't need but want after CJNY
1. Aroma Audio Fei Wan: my favorite "energetic" set I've heard, although the Noble Ragnar is close behind and can be found for a better deal.
2. Canpur 622b: The first set with BC drivers that really convinced me to want to add one to the collection
3. Campfire Trifecta: As fun and bombastic as many have stated
4. Ibasso PB5- I fell in love with and acquired a Mass-Kobo 475, which has me looking to offload some desktop gear and more demanding headphones. The PB5 would be a great transportable complement.
5. Oriolus Monanchaa- Not sure it makes sense owning one alongside my Traillii but I really enjoyed my time with it
I find Monachaa a very much different flavour from Trailli. But to even add more different variation, Fei Wan would prob make more sense :)

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #86,434 of 89,465
I actually did exactly this with Alter Ego and the Beat Audio Orbit Saga 8W ($7.2k USD).

Immediately, the soundstage becomes immense and there are oodles of detail from everywhere. It’s one of the most impressive things I’ve ever heard.

I also tried the Beat Audio Cyclone 8W and Billow MK2 4W, and there was a small technical jump between those. There was a much larger leap from Billow MK2 to Orbit Saga 8W.
Amongst Cyclone 8w, Billow mk2 4w and Orbit Saga 8w, which did you prefer? Though 4w would prob not be a fair comparison? 🤓🧐

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:20 PM Post #86,435 of 89,465
Funny
XE6 for me
Between XE6 and Trifecta, Trifecta.
They are different enough to keep both for me.
You and me both!

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #86,436 of 89,465
You and me both!
1000033886.jpg

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:25 PM Post #86,437 of 89,465
I haven't heard it, but I think your best bet is probably a Soranik MEMS-3S. :slight_smile:
Hello warrenpachi! Thank you for the advice, but open back CIEM's seems inadvisable to use in a windy city like the one I live in. I checked their website, and MEMS-2 is more commute-friendly. Do y'allthink the MEMS-2 is a good alternative to the KSE1500?

Apr 12, 2024 at 8:54 PM Post #86,438 of 89,465
Were you able to hear the NARUKAMI amp with the Susvara HP’s and also the Mass Kobo 465 with the Susvara and Raal HPs?
No sorry. I did see Zach from ZMF having one of the larger booths in the headphone section. Dude seems to be growing his brand pretty fast.

Apr 12, 2024 at 9:19 PM Post #86,439 of 89,465
Hello warrenpachi! Thank you for the advice, but open back CIEM's seems inadvisable to use in a windy city like the one I live in. I checked their website, and MEMS-2 is more commute-friendly. Do y'allthink the MEMS-2 is a good alternative to the KSE1500?

Sadly, I haven't heard that one either. 🙁

But I just noticed the GR10 love in your signature. If you're interested in something along those lines, you might want to check out Westone's Mach 80? If you can remember what the GR8 sounded like in comparison to the GR10, you can think of the Mach 80 as a GR9 in many ways.

Apr 12, 2024 at 9:46 PM Post #86,440 of 89,465
What's everyone's thoughts on the Aroma Audio Jewel vs the Nostalgia Audio Camelot? How do they compare?

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:18 PM Post #86,441 of 89,465
What's everyone's thoughts on the Aroma Audio Jewel vs the Nostalgia Audio Camelot? How do they compare?
Camelot sounds great for its price, only notes I have are less technical than Jewel, very large and was slightly uncomfortable in my ear, also had some driver pressure/flex. I own the Jewel, passed on the Camelot. If driver flex doesn’t bother you and larger IEMs are comfortable for your ears it’s probably worth trying I think it punches above its price point sound wise but it’s not quit as technical as the Jewel.

Apr 12, 2024 at 10:57 PM Post #86,442 of 89,465
Camelot sounds great for its price, only notes I have are less technical than Jewel, very large and was slightly uncomfortable in my ear, also had some driver pressure/flex. I own the Jewel, passed on the Camelot. If driver flex doesn’t bother you and larger IEMs are comfortable for your ears it’s probably worth trying I think it punches above its price point sound wise but it’s not quit as technical as the Jewel.
I went the other way. Passed on the Jewel and own the Camelot. Compared to Jewel, Camelot might seem not that technical. But it has all the details. Even though the stock cable was fine, moving to Eletech Illiad, improved everything on Camelot. Camelot is no slouch with all the details, nice treble extension and beautiful bass, timbre. It is not aggressive and not in your face.Very enjoyable to my ears.

Apr 12, 2024 at 11:26 PM Post #86,443 of 89,465
But have you heard?
Heard the Dio? I’ve heard a couple prototypes; one much more finished than the other. But, I’m not gonna comment too much on how it sounds out of respect for Lee. Based on how it performed against other TOTLs I heard at CanJam SG (including far pricier ones already discussed on this thread), I’d say it’ll be worth the wait when it (hopefully) comes out next year.

Which would y’all rather own XE6 or RN6
Xe6 for me. The Rn6 is a more down-the-middle IEM, which does some things differently, but is ultimately a sound that I’ve mostly heard before. The Xe6 has a lot more character, personality and soul to me. It reminded me of listening to a live venue’s PA system from my mixing desk, with the lows reaching you after already vibrating the room around you, and the mids and highs getting to you with a bit of room reverb. It’s a coloured IEM, but one my brain found very easy to rationalize. It’s probably my favourite FiR IEM to date.

Apr 12, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #86,444 of 89,465
Amongst Cyclone 8w, Billow mk2 4w and Orbit Saga 8w, which did you prefer? Though 4w would prob not be a fair comparison? 🤓🧐
Of those I prefer Orbit Saga 8W by a good margin. If money was no object I’d probably own one. That and an SS 8W 😄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back