The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 9, 2024 at 6:12 PM Post #85,951 of 88,403
It's also useful as a magnet in between events, I love practicality!

PXL_20240409_202222427.jpg

Oh if I did that, I'd constantly be forgetting them! :smile:

Apr 9, 2024 at 6:22 PM Post #85,952 of 88,403
Best all rounder Iem under 2k used or new?

Something that is forgiving of poor recordings is a plus. They’ll be used mostly for Jazz, metal, ambient, electronic, post-rock, 60-70s rock etc.
CFA Bonneville, keep $1k for change.

Apr 9, 2024 at 7:01 PM Post #85,954 of 88,403
There were 4 (four) sets added to Classifieds just last week.

drftr
Anni does sell very quickly, or at least mine did within 3 hours even while I was distracted with family on Easter Sunday. 🤭
I posted a want ad and then all of a sudden a bunch of them popped up.

Speaking of, just got a pair from an head-fier and they are phenomenal already.

On another note: Does anyone have a carrying case solution/recommendation big enough for a set of IEMs (or two) and a Hiby RS8 (chunky boy)?
The VanNuys 6-slot case is great for this, take out the middle divider and you can easy fit a chonky DAP.
IMG_4166.jpeg

Mines got a hole in the top right corner now needs filling 🤭

Screenshot 2024-04-09 at 20.48.11.png

Greetings ladies and jellyspoons! :) You might notice that my name has changed - it's still me Tokpa - but after a lot of requests and good advice I have started my own review website! And along with the new site, comes a new name here. In part, to keep some anonymity from the "real world," as I need to keep my audioquest (addiction) separate from my professional /personal life. The other is simply, I love the new name, and where it can go for me. A site for all my reviews, a place to share my favorite music and new inspirations, as well as my guitar playing and general audio banter and musings. It's a bit bare bones for now, more to add, but I invite you all to check it out if you like.

www.tonetexturesoul.com

As a guitarist, I was always in search of the perfect tone. Every cable, every pedal, their order, the amps and tubes. With portable audio I am the same: in search of the perfect synergy, that perfect chain that erases the world and sucks you into the portal that is music. Tones, textures, and always a bit of soul.
I’m sure this will be a great success, I’ve always been a fan of your detailed reviews and photography!!

Apr 9, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #85,955 of 88,403
quite the contrary, I believe UM would value and benefit from honest feedback. just be sure to maintain respectful tone when sharing your thoughts, to avoid potential backlash from those who disagree with you.
A great way to approach any subject.

Apr 9, 2024 at 7:39 PM Post #85,956 of 88,403
Coming out of winter hibernation and catching up here... I am really enjoying all the reports from CJ SG. As always, springtime brings new offerings and it gets pretty exciting! My audition list is growing for this year!

Any impressions on Hyla Arborea and Hyla Hallowelli? :)

Haven't seen anything about Hyla. As a former CE-5 owner and fan, I'm curious about what Hyla is cooking up! They were ahead of time in their DD bass tuning.

Meanwhile, thanks to @MusicTeck I got to audition Fei Wan and CP622B (I know bit late to the party) along side my Traillii and Ragnar for a mini-jam weekend :ksc75smile:

FW: Beautifully tuned IEM! No wonder the love in WC. I get the same sense of bass "air" that I did with IER-Z1R, EE EVO, and XE6, but probably the most natural of them all. Not just bass alone, it has mids and treble to match. I really liked the overall timbre (great for acoustic instruments and voice) and how it captures air, breath, and space. The main challenge was how sensitive it is to source and tips. I liked it most out of my LP6, 320Max+475 (but not max alone), and DX240. Treble can come across strong but it's not a tuning fault IMHO. It is just capable of producing what's in the recording.

622B: This is another very nicely tuned IEM. The tonal balance is probably the closest to Traillii, perhaps a little drier. Much drier (less midbass) than FW. It presents a lot of bass texture and detail that I almost thought it was a BA bass. Mids to treble is very smooth, easy to like balance. It has vocal clarity that lifts it from the music. I think I heard slightly plasticy timbre, especially compared to FW. If anything, it sounds so normal and lacks a character for me. My favorite part was the fit. It locked in to my ears and it had an awesome isolation. Probably the best fitting universal I have ever come across.

img9901.jpg

img8128.jpg

img8133.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 9, 2024 at 8:00 PM Post #85,957 of 88,403
Anni does sell very quickly, or at least mine did within 3 hours even while I was distracted with family on Easter Sunday. 🤭

The VanNuys 6-slot case is great for this, take out the middle divider and you can easy fit a chonky DAP.
IMG_4166.jpeg

Mines got a hole in the top right corner now needs filling 🤭

I’m sure this will be a great success, I’ve always been a fan of your detailed reviews and photography!!

Thanks for the recommendation! I’ll take a gander at the Van Nuys case.

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:40 PM Post #85,958 of 88,403
I believe Trifecta got a small, but very strong feeling fanbase.

It has a fairly robust fanbase, especially around here. The "small, but strong feeling" group in this case are the detractors, who often feel the need to evangalize about it and remind the world just how much they don't like the IEM. This is just as perplexing to me as the IEM's considerable popularity is to you.

I strongly believe its very important to audion it first.

This is very true generally but I agree that it is especially so in this case. It is a bold and daring approach, and not for everyone. I have been saying this since day one.

I dont think its as simple as "its a meaty comfort IEM with great bass that people that like oomph and big stage will like even if the resolution is not quite there" there are things about its tuning that are very dividing and the resolution is really something that might be perceived as much lower than expected at this pricepoint.

It's expecially dividing in a market where the trends lately have been towards a lot of top end air & clarity and sub-bass emphasis over mid-bass. Personally I think the knocks on its resolution are overblown, but I'll just agree to disagree there. I'll just remain grateful that the current TOTL landscape is as diverse as it is so that there ever remains something out there for everyone.

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #85,959 of 88,403
It's expecially dividing in a market where the trends lately have been towards a lot of top end air & clarity and sub-bass emphasis over mid-bass. Personally I think the knocks on its resolution are overblown, but I'll just agree to disagree there. I'll just remain grateful that the current TOTL landscape is as diverse as it is so that there ever remains something out there for everyone.

Yes, but...

1712710291453.png

:laughing:

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:51 PM Post #85,960 of 88,403
Trifecta lovers unite ♥️
1000019823.jpg

Apr 9, 2024 at 8:55 PM Post #85,962 of 88,403
Who is making this cable, are you able to share the brand name? Thank you for the post. MA eclipse was a first solid release of the brand, I personally look forward to hearing alter ego.
Hey sorry for my delayed response - got swamped by the new replies while I am still on the road 🤣

The cable would be a new launch in China very soon, and the brand, price range etc are still not confirmed. One thing to note is they will change the connectors/ plugs design in the coming time.

Will come back with more info in the coming time 😁

Apr 9, 2024 at 9:16 PM Post #85,963 of 88,403
Apr 9, 2024 at 9:48 PM Post #85,964 of 88,403
While I'm here, I wanted to also share my experience with this wonderful piece - Traillii Ti - again thanks to @MusicTeck

Beautifully finished shells. Just the way the 2-pin recessed sockets slide in perfectly speaks to the design and precision of the build. Speaks quality in my hand. The fit feels very similar to the OG Traillii, so no issues there for me.

The sound! This to me was not an upgrade as the price might suggest. More of a re-issue of a complimentary tuning. I think it fixes many areas where people did not like about the OG - but within the boundaries of utilizing the same drivers. So no DD rumble, no BCD vibes... What they did, to my ears, is that they took a little warmth out of the bass and gave a slight sub-bass focus, lightened the mids, and shifted the treble emphasis lower (so more bodied cymbals instead of airy wide OG sound). In a way, adding a silver cable character from the bottom and a gold cable character from the top. Indeed, W89 cable on OG changes the OG in the same direction but not all the way - I would say less than halfway though. That said, Ti is a crisper and speedier flavor of Traillii. Vocal floats above the music or in front of the band. Bass has a similar texture but with a good bit of thump for the kick drum. Cymbals and steel strings have good body, texture, and realism. Ti is slightly closed-in compared to the vastly wide OG stage, but there is still very good width and depth. That slight intimacy and texture made much of my music very enjoyable to listen to.

As I was A/Bing with my OG, I kept thinking the difference in sound is smaller than the cost addition. I keep trying to convince myself that I don't need it... but I want it. :ksc75smile: Need I say more :sweat_smile:

img8110.jpg

img8111.jpg

img8113.jpg

True Ti-Ti treatment :hearts:

img9860.jpg

Apr 9, 2024 at 10:00 PM Post #85,965 of 88,403

Users who are viewing this thread

Back