The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 3, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #85,426 of 88,248
Looking for tip recommendations for the Supermoon
Try Final type E . the black silicone one's , you can get them at Amazon for a good price . It did wonders for me . I think they bring out the micro dynamics more or in other words it makes the Supermoon sound more like a hybrid IEM . ( DD/balanced armature) . I was using the old symbio type w tips and the Supermoon and it sounded just like a hybrid for the lows but the midrange and the treble sounded like a planer driver would . To me it fixes one of the three problems I have with it , the other two are a sometimes peaky upper midrange and on a number of my recordings I felt it could use more mid bass to balance out the wonderful subbass it has . I hope this helps .
Looking for tip recommendations for the Supermoon

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:05 PM Post #85,427 of 88,248
Volur mid and sub bass are more evenly balanced. With Monachaa the bass is definitely tilted towards the sub bass, to my ears.

Edit: the graph appears to confirm that:

1712173814794.png
Interesting. I'm going to see if I can audition the Monachaa at MusicTeck and A/B with my Volur. Since reading about the 4DD bird it's been at the top of my list for a next acquisition.

Apr 3, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #85,428 of 88,248
I guess I'm the only one here who would fail a blind ear tip test on some of the favourites - so be it. For me my top 5 is so extremely close together that I wouldn't be able to tell them apart from differences in sound alone.

drftr
I’ll be entirely honest, tips and cables are the two things that I pick purely out of comfort. I hear sonic changes but that’s purely a foam vs silicone or silicone/metal hybrid.

As for cables the lighter the better. I trust that the craftsman of the IEM made the cable selection for a reason. If I want to adjust something, I just EQ. EQ is free, just comes with a learning curve.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #85,429 of 88,248
Madoo Typ512 in the house! Hot damn these look good!

shared image (4).jpg

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 5:26 PM Post #85,430 of 88,248
Agree with you fully, I also hear change. And I dont care if its for real or not, same it doesn't matter if its worse objective if its better subjective for you as @drftr mentioned.
And also comfort matters :100:

That is where we differ I guess.

I have thought I heard changes until I didn't.

I am of an engineering and technical background and I instinctively want to understand how things work, that applies to anything I do or am involved with.

I want to know if I am being fooled into thinking something sounds better. If I am being fooled that is fine, I just want to know, to me that distinction matters.

I am happy to spend money just for looks but I want to know it is just for looks and based on my experience it is.

Apr 3, 2024 at 6:00 PM Post #85,431 of 88,248
Apr 3, 2024 at 7:00 PM Post #85,432 of 88,248
I've had scenarios where I think I've heard a difference, but only one I've noted here before I think where it was absolutely certain - the difference was so massive that I have since figured there must have been an issue with the cable - this being the stock cable with Penon Serial vs Hansound Nyx... with the former, the mids sounded terribly flat and lifeless, switched at the time to Nyx and they completely transformed, a night and day difference. This was a few years ago, and perhaps the occasional time I've done an a/b with cables since I'm seeking larger changes than what actually exist. I've said before, I must dedicate time and focus on cable rolling... I WANT TO BELIEVE :) Or maybe I don't from a cost perspective...
I'm a believer. I was before I even knew there was a community based around iems and that there were even two camps around the cable debate. Yes it's about nuances and I don't believe an expensive shiny cable is better than a cheaper AliX special. It's about the synergy between cable iem and most importantly source when the 3 align and I'm in my Zen state I can definitely tell the differences between different combinations. The fly in the ointment is I also want an aesthetic match as well.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2024 at 7:41 PM Post #85,433 of 88,248
The trouble with cables and nuances is that the nuances are the hardest thing to assess and the easiest to confuse with changes in perception of sound due to psychoacoustic factors and sonic memory.

I would love to be shown evidence but even though people talk about sometime really obvious and significant changes in sound, something as obvious as a significant boost in bass for example, it appears that cannot be measured. If you can hear it and if some cases are as obvious as folks say why hasn't somebody measured that change and proven it and shut people like me up ? :relaxed:

Anyway, nobody wants a party pooper in the WC :relaxed:

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:05 PM Post #85,434 of 88,248
I envy the fuller wallets of Head-Fiers who can't hear a difference between cables. :smile:

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:06 PM Post #85,435 of 88,248
UPS finally delivered. Copying music over. EXCITEMENT

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:11 PM Post #85,436 of 88,248
Apr 3, 2024 at 8:12 PM Post #85,437 of 88,248
I envy the fuller wallets of Head-Fiers who can't hear a difference between cables. :smile:

I agree, I'm pretty good about not spending much on cables though. However, I love the NightJar cables and I have the Blue Hour 4 wire... but we must go all out.

Sov Symph incoming for the Storm, should have it in a couple of weeks.

1712189429150.png

1712189472929.png

Apr 3, 2024 at 8:35 PM Post #85,439 of 88,248

Users who are viewing this thread

Back