The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Apr 1, 2024 at 3:44 PM Post #85,187 of 88,437
I am fortunate enough to own both the Anni and the bird. Asking which is better is like asking if that sushi restaurant is better than the steakhouse across town. I think what it highlights is that there is no one uniform way to deliver a musical experience. Trying to score them is silly in my opinion. I think that's what makes this hobby a hobby. The engineers keep inventing and we keep bringing our human opinions and emotions to decide on what's great.

Some people hate all sushi, no matter how "incredible" it is.

Well said. I've always appreciated a good food metaphor as there's so much overlap with this hobby.

Apr 1, 2024 at 3:52 PM Post #85,188 of 88,437
I am fortunate enough to own both the Anni and the bird. Asking which is better is like asking if that sushi restaurant is better than the steakhouse across town. I think what it highlights is that there is no one uniform way to deliver a musical experience. Trying to score them is silly in my opinion. I think that's what makes this hobby a hobby. The engineers keep inventing and we keep bringing our human opinions and emotions to decide on what's great.

Some people hate all sushi, no matter how "incredible" it is.
You know what? My AirPods Pro 2 are "better" than any existing audio system... when I'm on the go or at the gym.

Every, but really every IEM is different and if you argue the way you do, you shouldn't compare them because they are in themselves different, this is always the case. And that's pointless for me personally. As far as I'm concerned, I can compare different IEMs and declare the "best" one for me (namely for my demands, preferences etc.). Just so that there are no misunderstandings: I have emphasized my personal point of view the whole time. I don't know what the others think. If Anni and Traillii can't be compared for you, so be it. I did it and for me Anni was "better".

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 4:01 PM Post #85,189 of 88,437
Yes, I agree. And you know what? My AirPods Pro 2 are "better" than any existing audio system... when I'm on the go or at the gym.

Every, but really every IEM is different and if you argue the way you do, you shouldn't compare them because they are in themselves different, this is always the case. And that's pointless for me personally. As far as I'm concerned, I can compare different IEMs and declare the "best" one for me (namely for my demands, preferences etc.). Just so that there are no misunderstandings: I have emphasized my personal point of view the whole time. I don't know what the others think. If Anni and Traillii can't be compared for you, so be it. I did it and for me Anni was "better".

I think you can compare any two IEMs in as much as every IEM has its own character and set of characteristics and one can make note of what all of those are relative to each other. It's when you start to introduce value judgements (ie., this is better than that) that things get highly subjective and sometimes not all that easy to put into words. On a personal note, I am well aware of Anni's strengths but for me the Traillii is a very special IEM. It's one of those IEMs that casts a spell on me every time I demo it. I've never been able to pin down precisely why this is-- just that the overall gestalt of the experience always manages to sweep me off my feet in the short intervals I'm able to experience it. Annihilator, on the other hand, is drier and more technical and for me doesn't quite have the "soul" (for lack of a better term) to keep me engaged long term. YMMV etc.

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:11 PM Post #85,190 of 88,437
A revisit to Turii Ti tonight with RS8 - I think RS8 is perhaps the best source I’ve heard for my beloved single DDs, the R2R magic provides perfect synergy.

In my mobile home an extra night as have a bad cold or flu… some red wine medicine 🍷😬

IMG_2717.jpeg

Listening to the brilliant Bowery Electric, not an album I’d typically choose with Turii Ti but sounding fantastic.

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:13 PM Post #85,191 of 88,437
I personally was out on the storm when everyone stated they need a desktop amp to not sound thin or analytical. For myself my IEMs are for using with DAPs so I can use them on the go and desktop amps are for my headphones. Will the Storm beat out the Utopia in sound and comfort? The storm now costs more and needs more power, will it beat out a similar priced headphone?

I use storm on many things from dongles, daps, desktops, and whatever. it all sounds good to me. Even sounds okay on this:

1712002351017.png

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:18 PM Post #85,192 of 88,437
I use storm on many things from dongles, daps, desktops, and whatever. it all sounds good to me. Even sounds okay on this:

I read a review about this player from a guy comparing to older models of the 80s and 90s. He said they all sounded better than this model. Do you have any comparison points?

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:26 PM Post #85,193 of 88,437
I read a review about this player from a guy comparing to older models of the 80s and 90s. He said they all sounded better than this model. Do you have any comparison points?

My wife has an old Sony Walkman but I haven't tried listening to both at same time yet.

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #85,194 of 88,437
I think you can compare any two IEMs in as much as every IEM has its own character and set of characteristics and one can make note of what all of those are relative to each other. It's when you start to introduce value judgements (ie., this is better than that) that things get highly subjective and sometimes not all that easy to put into words. On a personal note, I am well aware of Anni's strengths but for me the Traillii is a very special IEM. It's one of those IEMs that casts a spell on me every time I demo it. I've never been able to pin down precisely why this is-- just that the overall gestalt of the experience always manages to sweep me off my feet in the short intervals I'm able to experience it. Annihilator, on the other hand, is drier and more technical and for me doesn't quite have the "soul" (for lack of a better term) to keep me engaged long term. YMMV etc.
I agree on what you write. That's why I've always emphasized my own subjective point of view. It has never been my intention to objectify differences and make appropriate value judgments for others.

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:29 PM Post #85,195 of 88,437
I agree on what you write. That's why I've always emphasized my own subjective point of view. It has never been my intention to objectify differences and make appropriate value judgments for others.
You personally have always done a good job at this. I commend you for it. It's a model to follow.

Apr 1, 2024 at 4:32 PM Post #85,196 of 88,437
You know what? My AirPods Pro 2 are "better" than any existing audio system... when I'm on the go or at the gym.

Okay I get it. Part of me says leave our little bird alone. Then again as you say this is your personal opinion a subjective declaration of superiority for an audience of at least one, you.

I like pie, which pie is the best pie, is it a meat pie or a fruit pie. Well there is the rub for me and at least an audience of one again, me, I cannot compare a meat pie to a fruit pie. Perhaps I can compare the crust but certainly not the filling. It would be ludicrous to me to say that a chicken pot pie is better than a peach pie.

Anyway not to beat this into the ground you are certainly welcome to your thoughts on this, and after all you are deciding which of two IEMs is better for you, I do get that.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2024 at 4:43 PM Post #85,198 of 88,437
Same with Earsonics.
I bought the EM3-PRO CIEM in 2010 for 900 euros and they still sell them for 790 euros now.
1711999296202.png
Price alone won't tell the whole story. I still remember many years ago when Etymotic ER4XR was consider a steal at $450 given its performance, and years later I bought it for $160 or so and today I consider it not even worth $160.

Apr 1, 2024 at 5:06 PM Post #85,199 of 88,437
You personally have always done a good job at this. I commend you for it. It's a model to follow.
I don't know if you're being ironic or serious. As for me, I'll be honest and say that I really respect everyone's opinion; that's why it's particularly important for me to always emphasize from which point of view I'm speaking. That's also why I try to avoid discussions in which some people try to spread universally valid opinions. Personally, I don't think such discussions are productive or respectful of others but I'd rather not get involved and open the barrel.

Okay I get it. Part of me says leave our little bird alone. Then again as you say this is your personal opinion a subjective declaration of superiority for an audience of at least one, you.

I like pie, which pie is the best pie, is it a meat pie or a fruit pie. Well there is the rub for me and at least an audience of one again, me, I cannot compare a meat pie to a fruit pie. Perhaps I can compare the crust but certainly not the filling. It would be ludicrous to me to say that a chicken pot pie is better than a peach pie.

Anyway not to beat this into the ground you are certainly welcome to your thoughts on this, and after all you are deciding which of two IEMs is better for you, I do get that.
If I understand you correctly, you mean that different IEMs would appropriate for different purposes and in this sense they would not be comparable. Feel free to correct me if I have misinterpreted this. But if that's correct, I don't think we're thinking that differently. I also have more than one IEM and often I listen each IEM for a specific expectation (for example according to my mood, fit, music genre etc.), so each of my IEMs is in this sense inherently unique and therefore incomparable. Nevertheless, all my IEMs have certain characteristics that I personally prioritize and that they more or less share. From this point of view, I can very well compare them and decide which one is "better" for me. But this concept of "better" is again only relative if you consider the condition of incommensurability mentioned above. Maybe this sounds complicated and hopefully my message is clear. Accordingly, the problem I personally had with Traillii was that it didn't fit into my concept (expectations, library, etc.), but Anni did. I certainly have the greatest respect for Traillii, but it just didn't work for me. That's why I thought Anni was "better". Incidentally, for obvious reasons I deliberately didn't mention what I meant by this term "better", which I always put in quotation marks.

Apr 1, 2024 at 5:13 PM Post #85,200 of 88,437
Finished my review on the LAVRiCABLES MASTER SILVER 22AWG

Good silver cables always impress me, and its my faovorite type of cable to use on almost every IEM.
Lavricables deliver something that is probably one of the best cables you can get at the price.
No bull___t approach where you pay for the cable and not premium presentation and accessories.

https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/lavricable-master-silver-v4.27143/review/33426/

That braiding.....doesnt look special.

Looking at their website, I like how they have many options especially for the plugs. Like AECO pure copper plugs.

I guess the price is nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back