The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 27, 2024 at 7:29 PM Post #84,752 of 87,696
My mind went in like 500 different places to this question
All roads lead to Rome. 500 different places to answer this all roads lead back to the fact of iem plus the Sony gold brick. Seriously just buy the gold brick, either version.
What is the absolute best pairing of a source you have had with either an iem or headphones?
I would have to say VE Aura and AK SP3000.
Amber Pearl and Cayin N30BLE AP.

Mar 27, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #84,753 of 87,696
What is the absolute best pairing of a source you have had with either an iem or headphones?
Feliks Envy with WE300b Tubes + Holo May and Susvara so far.

Mar 27, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #84,754 of 87,696
Watercooler,
Curious which relatively high-end current IEMs ($1500+?) would you rate to be the biggest at soundstage width and height? Not considering if that soundstage is hollow or filled with sound.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 7:58 PM Post #84,755 of 87,696
Watercooler,
Curious which relatively high-end current IEMs ($1500+?) would you rate to be the biggest at soundstage width and height? Not considering if that soundstage is hollow or filled out with sound.
I think Symphonium Crimson is pretty sweet. The stage spread out more than both U12t and Noble Spartacus in my AB tests, though any of these three can be considered ā€œgreat stageā€

Mar 27, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #84,757 of 87,696
Watercooler,
Curious which relatively high-end current IEMs ($1500+?) would you rate to be the biggest at soundstage width and height? Not considering if that soundstage is hollow or filled with sound.
Trifecta

Mar 27, 2024 at 8:52 PM Post #84,758 of 87,696
I found Trifecta rather underwhelming during our Amsterdam meetup to be honest. From all the praise I read I was rather hyped to hear it and even set funds aside to potentially go for it next. The bass and staging are fun, but the tuning felt wonky, technicalities are far behind whats currently considered TOTL, including older stuff like Traillii and the treble spikes are as usually a deal breaker for me.

*hide
No reason to hide, my impression of Trifecta is pretty much exactly the same. Itā€™s 3DDs create a huge, majestic sound image that is a lot of fun, but they are so incredibly slow that the cannot keep up with moderately paced music and are lacking in fine detail. Add in the wonky treble peaks, and that is too many compromises for the price point imho.

I heard Trifectaā€™s bass as nothing resembling fuzzy. It was super satisfying out of the N30LE.

If anything, I sold my Anni 2023 because of its rather linear BA bass. I disliked it enough to forego having access to a monitor with such a delicious treble extension.
Fair enough if you didnā€™t like Annihilator, but one thing is that it definitely doesnā€™t have BA bass. šŸ˜‰

Mar 27, 2024 at 8:58 PM Post #84,759 of 87,696
No reason to hide, my impression of Trifecta is pretty much exactly the same. Itā€™s 3DDs create a huge, majestic sound image that is a lot of fun, but they are so incredibly slow that the cannot keep up with moderately paced music and are lacking in fine detail. Add in the wonky treble peaks, and that is too many compromises for the price point imho.

Fair enough if you didnā€™t like Annihilator, but one thing is that it definitely doesnā€™t have BA bass. šŸ˜‰
Yeah, I have quite same impression with you. Only impressive point and weak point is bass, huge, thick and dominate but slow. It give the same impression when you go to DJ show, bar, etc. Mid treble detail is not good. Its only ā€œfunā€. Nothing special.

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:01 PM Post #84,760 of 87,696
Damn ā€¦ trifecta hating gang just came out the cut šŸ˜…šŸ˜‚ I see what you guys are saying, but damn I had a good time with it! Trifecta was one of my favorite sets at Canjam it shocked me with its soundstage and bass And analog sound I feel like thatā€™s enough to deserve a spot in a TOTL lineup

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #84,761 of 87,696

Maybe it was a confusion between Anni and Diva, Diva has BA bass.

Mar 27, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #84,763 of 87,696
I'll be ordering a Red Cape for you Bobby - that way you can be Audio Thor :beerchug:
Couldn't agree more. Mentor is special...love mine to bits and decided to keep it over Amber Pearl.
Can't help but wonder what the best cable upgrade path for it is..
I bet it would sound incredibly good with Sovereign or Sovereign Symphony by Nightjar.

Nightjar + Unique Melody - heh. On the topic of Marvel superheroes... that's like a Marvel meets DC Universe combination :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
I also found Mentor quite boring. Capable and well done, but boring to me. Had the same feeling with the HD650 or the TGXearTotem for example.
I can see this. But I love the HD650 and that explains why I like the MM so much. It's really an amalgamation of HD650, Susvara & IER-M9 in one single IEM as far as how I hear it on my rig.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 27, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #84,764 of 87,696
fair enough if you didnā€™t like Annihilator, but one thing is that it definitely doesnā€™t have BA bass. šŸ˜‰
I heard the Anni twice. People say it's the seal but I got a perfectly fine seal with the pilgrim with similarly wide nozzles with the same tips.

I knew it had a DD but my first thought was, so this is how you make a DD for bass sound like a BA. Interesting.

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2024 at 9:41 PM Post #84,765 of 87,696
Damn ā€¦ trifecta hating gang just came out the cut šŸ˜…šŸ˜‚ I see what you guys are saying, but damn I had a good time with it! Trifecta was one of my favorite sets at Canjam it shocked me with its soundstage and bass And analog sound I feel like thatā€™s enough to deserve a spot in a TOTL lineup
One of the main reasons I want to hear Trifecta is because itā€™s so damn divisive. I canā€™t think of any other IEM that yields such a love it or hate it response. I tend to like fun, big and bombastic sound signatures so I canā€™t see myself not enjoying itā€¦ but whether or not I find them to be ā€œworthā€ (to me personally) the MSRP, thatā€™s another question entirely šŸ¤”

If Bonneville is any indication of CFAā€™s house sound then I think Iā€™d like Trifecta. I have the Bonneville tour unit on hand currently and itā€™s for sure an enjoyable IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back