The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 22, 2024 at 10:28 PM Post #84,346 of 87,749
Mar 22, 2024 at 10:30 PM Post #84,347 of 87,749
IMG_7823_jpg.jpegI tried few other IEMs and A/Bed- VeX, U4S or Mest 2.
After some time, I just got the idea that confirms my previous impression about these IEMs. Meaning, usual impression/reviews about those IEMs without consideration of A/Bing (even you swap VE10’s cable to those IEM) persists. IEM’s unique character still emits.

Here we go:

U4s (M9+ medium gain, Nostalgia XWB tip)

- Quite a good tone balance
- Less treble reverberation than before(VeX)
- Less lushness in the midrange
- No hiss

When connected to the Ve10 premium cable:
- Improved treble extension and reverberation
- Quite a similar sound to VeX

—> A bit bland, dull feeling compared to ve 10. Feels a bit more organic and natural like the 64 sound

- Less of a rich coffee feel, the bass is a bit simpler and feels slightly disjointed

On the other hand, with VE X, the bass integration is more natural and cohesive (chewy)

Mest2 (Baroque tip)(Eletech Raphael 4.4)

- Clear feeling
- Slightly lacking in warmth
Spinfit Cp145 tip, VE10 premium cable
M9+ Medium gain
- Improvement in musicality(=SQ with character)
—> Slightly precise and reference feeling. After listening for a while, technically sufficient—except for slightly weak vocals, the bass is good and the treble is also good, but somehow the initial feeling of being less moved(less emotive)—feels slightly lacking in delivering a musical emotion again

Camelot

VeX premium 4.4 cable (partially connected due to recessed 2pin)
- Handles complex passages well, as if equipped with a high-performance engine
- Good sense of space, low and high tones
- Midrange is lush and warm; if we're nitpicking, VE X feels a bit more lush, romantic, and boosted in the low midrange
- Slightly chaotic spillage of sounds, tried lowering to Low gain—still slightly that feeling
- Better combination with Eletech Raphael with m9+, the midrange recedes a bit, and the sound is smoothly refined. Due to the wood-mixed shell, there's a slight reverb feeling like Tannoy speakers
- Of course, the stock Avalon matched with Dx300 max Ti are also good
—> Smooth and warm feeling of a high-performance flagship device

VE 7 (stock CP100 tip, Cardas clear 4.4 cable, M9+)
  • The midrange has a lush, romantic feel, and the vocals sound pretty
  • The detail and resolution feel somewhat inferior
  • Clean BA bass
  • Like VE X, it’s sensitive, so white noise may occur in dap matching
  • VeX has less lushness in the midrange but still possesses the romantic Vision Ears house sound in mid, and depending on the audio chain, a very good bass prominence is felt. Moreover, thanks to the latest ear tips(Azla Origin) and a good high-fidelity cable, the detail and treble extension are also improved, making it truly an improved new version of Ve7. In terms of tonality, it actually inherits a more bass-emphasized phone sound, more like Ve8
IMG_7999.jpeg
IMG_7830.jpeg

Aura / VeX: they are brothers and sisters in Sq. I felt Aura was higher tier IEM in the beginning, but with some DAP chain matching, sometimes VeX sound is more preferred.

**M9+, Aura-Aeneid:
It's pretty good, similar to VeX-stock. As expected, the VeX side has a slightly meaty bass, thick sound signature. Vex has a bit closer vocals and the bass feels deeper. The sound imaging of Vex is closer to the ear compared to Aura, which has a larger soundstage. It’s as if listening to Aura is like being seated in a concert hall, while Vex is akin to listening at the side of the singer, on stage

**Aura- stock Nova 4w(4.4mm):
Now, similar to VeX-stock, it has closer vocals - which is good for me.

It feels like the sound line is slightly thinner compared to Vex (relatively speaking. The lush mid of Vision ears is alive).

**Vex**
**Stock vs Chiron:Nova:**

The stock cable has more air, making it pleasant to listen to.
Chiron:Nova is more refined but feels a bit stifling.

(For VEX, Aura): I prefer stock cables over high-end ones like Aeneid or Chiron:Nova for M9+. Probably because it’s a powerful DAP with an already good soundstage and sophistication, the stock cable is better for closer vocals.
Good to see Camelot getting some more love

Mar 22, 2024 at 11:25 PM Post #84,348 of 87,749
Dear Eurocoolers, I would like to wish you an inspiring meeting in Amsterdam. I wish you, who may be getting to know each other in persona for the first time, good conversations and a good listening time with the organised portable gear. Many thanks to @drftr for his selfless effort in preparing and organising the meeting. Enjoy it.
I would have loved to have been there. 😣

Mar 23, 2024 at 1:34 AM Post #84,349 of 87,749
1711153510805.png

Two birdies arrived today! I've been going back and forth between them for a few hours already. Here's some observations I have noticed between them both tested with their stock cables and baroque tips.

I like the tighter bass on the Ti, there’s more detail when it comes to faster bass lines. It’s lost a bit of punch though which makes it sound a tad boring for my personal tastes. The more controlled bass does allow more detail to shine through as well throughout the tuning. The OG bass doesn't decay as fast and is fuller with more body, it sounds more “fun” to me and I prefer how it affects instrument timbre as well. They sound more natural and weighty to my ears.

The Ti mids are a little more clarity focused, it feels like a small veil is lifted off compared to OG. OG mids feel more inviting and emotional, I don’t really have a preference here tbh. For electronic/female vocals I guess the Ti, more instrument focused I would go with OG.

The treble on both is very similar too with the Ti sounding a smidge more detailed, most likely due to less bass... but I feel the Ti treble sounds a little incoherent. The Ti has faster decaying bass and more open sounding/revealing mids but the treble feels too relaxed relative to the rest of the frequency response. It comes off as slightly disjointed, almost like I am listening to two different IEMs. The OG being a fuller sound flows much more organically into the treble to my ears. It sounds more harmonious and in sync.

If my library was more vocal focused I would probably pick the Ti, if it was more instrument focused I would go for the OG. As someone who has a rather broad library I am reminded that my money can be better spent on other sets, but I can't lie... I am loving listening to the OG again after all these years. 😍 If I didn't have the OG side by side to compare my brain probably would have told me I preferred the Ti more, so thank you to the generous head-fi'er who let me borrow their unit.
Great written comparison, thanks for the effort and sharing!

Some say that Ti has a much higher resolution, even at STORM level. What is your opinion on this? Is there such a big difference?

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:25 AM Post #84,350 of 87,749
The above picture was taken in Amsterdam? That's not what I remembered, it reminds me more of Rotterdam. I did not see any high rise buildings at all but of course I stay in downtown only.
The tall buildings are in the financial district, in the south of Amsterdam, which most tourists won’t visit indeed.

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:29 AM Post #84,351 of 87,749
Spending the night near the Belgian border, French side.

Oldies but goodies are replenishing for tomorrow in Amsterdam. :zap::zap::zap:

@davidmolliere is exhausted, poor chap. The hotel is blissfully quiet, us humans will have a nicely charged battery as well. ^^
Yeah I was 2h night driving with battering rain and 3 hectic weeks into my new job with a lot of travelling was not ideal 😬

Now I am recharged and ready!
Next step pickup @Junmoe62 at Lille train station at 10am and straight on to Amsterdam 🚀

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:53 AM Post #84,352 of 87,749
Great written comparison, thanks for the effort and sharing!

Some say that Ti has a much higher resolution, even at STORM level. What is your opinion on this? Is there such a big difference?

For me no, it does have a little more clarity and detail but I hear overall resolution to still be around the same level as OG. It’s still good, but I don’t find it to be the likes the of same level of resolution as todays summit-fi sets.

For example when I compare it to Fei Wan in an A/B it is easily noticeable the FW is more resolving.

Mar 23, 2024 at 3:58 AM Post #84,353 of 87,749
For me no, it does have a little more clarity and detail but I hear overall resolution to still be around the same level as OG. It’s still good, but I don’t find it to be the likes the of same level of resolution as todays summit-fi sets.

For example when I compare it to Fei Wan in an A/B it is easily noticeable the FW is more resolving.
It is always fascinating to see how opinions differ in this hobby. But at the same time, it's totally frustrating because you no longer know exactly what or whom to believe.

For me personally, you are a reliable and trustworthy source. I generally always agree with your impressions and that reassures me at least a little. Now when you write that, I believe you completely. Thank you again!

Mar 23, 2024 at 4:01 AM Post #84,354 of 87,749
Yes big thanks also to drftr for organising - and for the tips on attending the orchestra

This meeting coincides with, belatedly, upgrading the 2014 smartphone to a 2024 model

There is a Bach season currently at the Concertgebouw Amsterdam. On Thursday evening I was sat behind the podium (Janine Jansen was the violin soloist). On Friday night I was sat at the back of the main hall (Trevor Pinnock conducting).

Not used public transport since the Airport shuttle. Amsterdam is a very walkable city. That is how you randomly find a house only one door wide. Bonus photo from the Heineken Experience tour and Vondelpark at nighttime

Resized with snapseed for the forum

1000005516_edited.jpeg

1000005591_edited.jpeg

20240322_194335_edited.jpeg

1000005286_edited.jpeg

1000005499_edited.jpeg

20240322_103557_edited.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 4:31 AM Post #84,355 of 87,749
Next step pickup @Junmoe62 at Lille train station at 10am and straight on to Amsterdam 🚀
I promise you: Next time you'll need to drive a bus to pick everyone up!

There is a Bach season currently at the Concertgebouw Amsterdam. On Thursday evening I was sat behind the podium (Janine Jansen was the violin soloist). On Friday night I was sat at the back of the main hall (Trevor Pinnock conducting).

I hope to spend lots and lots of hours there next year during the Mahler festival. The Concertgebouw is absolutely perfect for his works, with different kinds of wood all over the place to bring out beautiful natural tones. For organ the hall adds a bit too much bloom, but for anything else it's 😘. You may want to double-check if there's any concert in the small hall on Sunday though as that sounds even better.

het_concertgebouw_3.jpg

drftr

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #84,357 of 87,749
You may want to double-check if there's any concert in the small hall on Sunday though as that sounds even better.

After the Sunday morning cooler session I will head to the airport. I did not realise about the 'daytime concerts' until later but got to walk Amsterdam :relaxed: On any next time I will aim to tackle the steps at Nemo. I was too tired in the moment lol:

1000005483_edited.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back