The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 23, 2024 at 4:27 PM Post #84,376 of 88,902
Hiding In Plain Sight

IMG_2377.jpeg

Sony IER-Z1R

Finally, after years of contemplation and missed opportunities, I have finally acquired the Sony IER-Z1R. Typically when I see posts referencing the Z1R, it’s all about the bass. But wow, does this IEM have so much more to offer. While I whole heartedly agree that the bass quality, texture, impact, and quantity are teasing the line of absolute perfection, I can’t help but be captivated by the nuances of the Z1R’s stage presentation and detail retrieval. While vocals come off slightly recessed (my preference) and centered, I am bewitched by the wrapping effect of stage left and stage right guitars, complimented by glittering micro details at the Z1R’s width limits. To me, stage height can be described as average at best BUT its width and depth compete with the best in my collection. I’ve only had this set for a few days but man, I am truly impressed. The treble region is tastefully emphasized and its extension reaches for the moon. Only complaint thus far is fit.. Reminds me of the FatFreq GM. Damn the anatomy of these ears. I’ve spent hours tip rolling and have settled on the Azla Clear’s but am open to suggestions! Sony just continues to impress me….
How does it compared to Anni?

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:08 PM Post #84,377 of 88,902
How does it compared to Anni?
Take this with a grain of salt since I’ve only had the Z1R for a few days. Bass is very different. Z1R’s bass, on paper, is near perfect and is a very prominent element of its signature. Anni’s bass is a bit more ‘fluffy’ and encompassing. I feel Anni utilizes its low frequencies to support its signature rather than it being a stand out feature. And I love it. Mids to me come off warmer with the Anni with more body. Instrumental timbre is fantastic on both. Upper mid’s are definitely a bit recessed on the Z1R giving it a slightly modest V shape presentation. If vocals were extremely important to me, I’d take Anni. Treble presentation is quite different but both have outstanding qualities. Anni’s treble is just effortlessly smooth and insanely resolving. Z1R comes off a bit brighter but not piercing. Anni is overall a smoother listen and I prefer its dynamic abilities. Z1R is slightly more exciting with blazing speed and energy. Lastly, stage presentation. I think Anni’s stage sounds more natural. It has good width, depth and height where Z1R seems to provide more of a wrapping stage effect. It is frankly awesome but most of the bands I listen too aren’t playing stages this large 😂. Hope that was useful..

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 5:12 PM Post #84,378 of 88,902
Take this with a grain of salt since I’ve only had the Z1R for a few days. Bass is very different. Z1R’s bass, on paper, is near perfect and is a very prominent element of its signature. Anni’s bass is a bit more ‘fluffy’ and encompassing. I feel Anni utilizes its low frequencies to support its signature rather than it being a stand out feature. And I love it. Mids to me come off warmer with the Anni with more body. Instrumental timbre is fantastic on both. Upper mid’s are definitely a bit recessed on the Z1R giving it a slightly modest V shape presentation. If vocals were extremely important to me, I’d take Anni. Treble presentation is quite different but both have outstanding qualities. Anni’s treble is just effortlessly smooth and insanely resolving. Z1R comes off a bit brighter but not piercing. Anni is overall a smoother listen and I prefer its dynamic abilities. Z1R is slightly more exciting with blazing speed and energy. Lastly, stage presentation. I think Anni’s stage sounds more natural. It has good width, depth and height. Z1R seems to provide more of a wrapping stage effect. It is frankly awesome but most of the bands I listen too aren’t playing stages this large 😂. Hope that was useful..
In summary, they aren’t competing against each other in my line up. I think they both have differing stand out features that compliment rather than overlap.

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:21 PM Post #84,379 of 88,902
Take this with a grain of salt since I’ve only had the Z1R for a few days. Bass is very different. Z1R’s bass, on paper, is near perfect and is a very prominent element of its signature. Anni’s bass is a bit more ‘fluffy’ and encompassing. I feel Anni utilizes its low frequencies to support its signature rather than it being a stand out feature. And I love it. Mids to me come off warmer with the Anni with more body. Instrumental timbre is fantastic on both. Upper mid’s are definitely a bit recessed on the Z1R giving it a slightly modest V shape presentation. If vocals were extremely important to me, I’d take Anni. Treble presentation is quite different but both have outstanding qualities. Anni’s treble is just effortlessly smooth and insanely resolving. Z1R comes off a bit brighter but not piercing. Anni is overall a smoother listen and I prefer its dynamic abilities. Z1R is slightly more exciting with blazing speed and energy. Lastly, stage presentation. I think Anni’s stage sounds more natural. It has good width, depth and height. Z1R seems to provide more of a wrapping stage effect. It is frankly awesome but most of the bands I listen too aren’t playing stages this large 😂. Hope that was useful..
Currently I also have both Anni and Z1R in my hands. I totally agree to your impression that the bass of the Anni serves the supporting role, however, I find the Anni's bass surprisingly good and satisfying, even more so than Z1R. Surprising since the reputation of Anni being the treble expert, my first impression of Anni is actually how good the bass is!

I probably need to spend more time to compare Z1R and Anni, but at the moment I found Anni much more resolving than Z1R, at least one level above.

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:34 PM Post #84,380 of 88,902
Currently I also have both Anni and Z1R in my hands. I totally agree to your impression that the bass of the Anni serves the supporting role, however, I find the Anni's bass surprisingly good and satisfying, even more so than Z1R. Surprising since the reputation of Anni being the treble expert, my first impression of Anni is actually how good the bass is!

I probably need to spend more time to compare Z1R and Anni, but at the moment I found Anni much more resolving than Z1R, at least one level above.
This is real. The “weak bass” chatter about the Anni always really confused me. I don’t think I’d want any more. It’s pretty pronounced. Note: I own and only ever heard 23, not 21.

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:45 PM Post #84,381 of 88,902
This is real. The “weak bass” chatter about the Anni always really confused me. I don’t think I’d want any more. It’s pretty pronounced. Note: I own and only ever heard 23, not 21.
completely agree. Any more and it would start to wash out its upper frequencies.

Mar 23, 2024 at 5:50 PM Post #84,382 of 88,902
Honestly I didn’t mind the bass on the 21 Anni. It helps to highlight the sharp treble of the IEM, and I’m more of a basshead.

Mar 23, 2024 at 6:28 PM Post #84,383 of 88,902
greetings

can anyone share how the new vision ears ve10 compares to erlkonig

best wishes
I might tomorrow as I will demo both, but definitely @MatW knows.

Too much talking with everyone at our meetup today and after 12 hrs it's time to travel back to the South, only to reverse course a few hours later. Awesome first day and I even managed to demo a few IEMs. The fact that nobody has posted impressions yet proves that we had an absolute blast! Barely any pics taken either I guess, but I did see a very nice group pic.

drftr

Mar 23, 2024 at 6:34 PM Post #84,384 of 88,902
Honestly I didn’t mind the bass on the 21 Anni. It helps to highlight the sharp treble of the IEM, and I’m more of a basshead.
The main reason I got the anni 21 was for that treble wow factor and I was honestly surprised with how much midbass it already had .. then when I tried the 2023 it had even more bass, which kind of took away some of that wow treble factor which made Anni special to me (but still at the end of the day both have incredible treble..the anni 21 just has a little more sparkle sauce in that regard)

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2024 at 6:42 PM Post #84,385 of 88,902
I might tomorrow as I will demo both, but definitely @MatW knows.

Too much talking with everyone at our meetup today and after 12 hrs it's time to travel back to the South, only to reverse course a few hours later. Awesome first day and I even managed to demo a few IEMs. The fact that nobody has posted impressions yet proves that we had an absolute blast! Barely any pics taken either I guess, but I did see a very nice group pic.

drftr
I’m so jealous I would’ve loved to been a part of this! The combination of traveling to Amsterdam, and having a water cooler meet up experience sounds so dope!!! Looking forward to some of your impressions :)

Mar 23, 2024 at 6:50 PM Post #84,386 of 88,902
An incredible day today, @MatW and @drftr really did an incredible job in setting up and facilitating a wonderful day from start to finish… thank you both and great to meet so many fellow passionate music lovers, lots of great conversations.

Traillii Ti stole the show for me, followed by a revisit to Traillii OG, and Anni 2023 not far behind - all three certainly left me with some thinking to do!

IMG_2328.jpeg

IMG_2333.jpeg

IMG_2331.jpeg

A shot of the listening table today, a spectacular selection of gear!

IMG_2337.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Mar 23, 2024 at 6:57 PM Post #84,387 of 88,902
An incredible day today, @MatW and @drftr really did an incredible job in setting up and facilitating a wonderful day from start to finish… thank you both and great to meet so many fellow passionate music lovers, lots of great conversations.

Traillii Ti stole the show for me, followed by a revisit to Traillii OG, and Anni 2023 not far behind - all three certainly left me with some thinking to do!

IMG_2328.jpeg

IMG_2333.jpeg

IMG_2331.jpeg

A shot of the listening table today, an spectacular selection of gear!

IMG_2337.jpeg
How many audio crazies were there in total? 🙂

Mar 23, 2024 at 6:58 PM Post #84,388 of 88,902

IMG_2328.jpeg

IMG_2333.jpeg

IMG_2331.jpeg

A shot of the listening table today, an spectacular selection of gear!

IMG_2337.jpeg
Currently estimating how much that table is probably worth right now 😮😥💰💰 I’d 100% get dibs on that cool red chair in the background

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back