The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 22, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #84,317 of 89,008
My pet peeve with its predecessor was how quickly fatiguing it became.

Admittedly, it's an issue I also had with the PAW6K which shared the same DAC (AK4493) and loath.

I eventually had to concede that AKM's tuning wasn't for me. Sony all the way from now on — happier than ever :wink:
That Sony magic strikes again 👀🪄🎶

Mar 22, 2024 at 11:48 AM Post #84,318 of 89,008
Amsterdam EU Watercooler Meetup; I have arrived! Can’t wait to meet you guys, and I’ve brought some fun toys with me 😎🤟🏼

IMG_2801.jpeg
IMG_2802.jpeg

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:01 PM Post #84,319 of 89,008
If you are a treble-head who enjoys a spicy treble with a neutral bass, Rhapsodio Supreme V3 hits the sweet spot!!! Sammy is rather consistent with his tuning, might not be for everybody, but those who enjoy extra treble energy will be happy :)

Rhapsodio_Supreme_V3.jpg

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:25 PM Post #84,320 of 89,008
... and complementary to that (Supreme V3), you have a healthy low-shelf boost in Noble Onyx, clearly L-shaped tuned IEMs with a warmer natural tonality and still plenty of natural clarity in upper mids/treble. Big soundstage expansion. But that sub-bass hits hard :)

... still going through some of the IEMs I got from Musicteck after the CanJam, comparing my impressions from the show and taking measurements.

Noble_Onyx.jpg

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:34 PM Post #84,321 of 89,008
Mar 22, 2024 at 12:55 PM Post #84,322 of 89,008
... and complementary to that (Supreme V3), you have a healthy low-shelf boost in Noble Onyx, clearly L-shaped tuned IEMs with a warmer natural tonality and still plenty of natural clarity in upper mids/treble. Big soundstage expansion. But that sub-bass hits hard :)

... still going through some of the IEMs I got from Musicteck after the CanJam, comparing my impressions from the show and taking measurements.

Noble_Onyx.jpg
Does that translate into enough pinna gain or is it on the tamer side?

drftr

Mar 22, 2024 at 2:25 PM Post #84,325 of 89,008
Mjolnir & Ve X
(Mjolnir impression but it is actually VeX impression)

I am trying out the Lotoo Mjolnir and VeX pair thanks to @timeslip , who lent me these for few weeks.

IMG_7897_jpg.jpeg

IMG_7902.jpeg

IMG_7903.jpeg

IMG_7905_jpg.jpeg

When comparing the Lotoo Mjolnir (SD card mode, SanDisk Extreme) with the Ibasso Dx300max Ti (PW Orpheus shielding 4.4 IC) - Aroma A100TB amp stack:
  • Receiver: Flipears Astra IEM (with Azla Xelastec eartips) connected via an Eletech Aeneid 4.4mm cable(16 driver quadribrid, 1BC+1DD+10BA+4EST. Mine is a prototype. It will be launched soon, probably in this year?)
  • / Vision Ears VeX(stock VeX premium 4.4 cable, Azla Origin eartip) / Nostalgia Camelot(Eletech Raphael cable and new Symbio W tip) / Vision ears X Astell&Kern Aura(Azla SE1500 eartip, stock Nova 4.4 cable)
IMG_7998.jpeg

IMG_7997.jpeg

The Mjolnir exhibits zero white noise, while the A100TB has a very slight hiss. For the VeX, the white noise from the A100TB stack may be too much for some(okay for me). Overall, I believe the Dx300max Ti stack delivers 80-90% of the performance of the Mjolnir in terms of sound reproduction. The sound quality (SQ) of the Mjolnir is more effortless, fuller, and has a slightly larger soundstage. In comparison, the sound of the Dx300max Ti may feel slightly ‘artificial.’ The bass quality is tighter, with a denser music presentation, and is better shaped and more coherent in the Mjolnir.

IMG_7955.jpeg

However, the Dx300max Ti stack accentuates the high and low ends of the frequency response, adding more ‘salt and butter.’ The high end of the Dx300max Ti chain is more sparkly, and there’s a slight organic texture, likely from the nylon shielding material of the Orpheus interconnect. The uncolored, reference sound of the Mjolnir might feel slightly bland in comparison. This can be compensated for by pairing it with different IEMs, such as the VeX (with the stock VeX premium cable and Azla Origin), which are sufficiently airy, bassy, with Vision ears signature romantic lush mid, and very enjoyable.

IMG_7496.jpeg

Compared to the Vision Ears Aura (with the stock Nova 4.4), the Vision Ears VeX (with the stock cable) offers closer sound imaging and a delightful airy extension. There is zero hiss, even at medium gain, although I prefer low gain for a more natural (and longer) decay in IEMs. Indeed, the Mjolnir is an outstanding source. With the VeX, every music genre, including classical, was enjoyable when paired with the Mjolnir.

IMG_7699.jpeg

IMG_7471.jpeg

I believe the VeX pairs well with the Shanling M9+ as well, provided that a slight white noise is acceptable. The Aura and stock Nova exhibit less hiss. For a hiss-free experience, one could try the VeX with the Sony WM1Z M2, although it may not sound optimal(weak sound, smaller soundstage) probably due to its low driving power unless paired with the Chiron Nova cable. Even then, I might still prefer the M9+ with the stock VeX cable match, as the Sony chain seems to lack some dynamics.

IMG_7953.jpeg

The Nostalgia Camelot also paired well with the Mjolnir. I favored the Eletech Raphael over the stock Avalon cable, which I felt somewhat adding too much ‘dirtiness’ and did not highlight the Mjolnir's strengths—its clear and natural sound. The VeX, thanks to its stock cable, is superior for an airy extension feel, which is also a strong point of the Mjolnir. The Mjolnir boasts an excellent EQ with pre-made settings, allowing for the high frequency response or bass to be tailored to the listener's taste, when called.
IMG_7994.jpeg

In summary, the sound of the Mjolnir is akin to Lake Baikal: clear, immersive, and natural.

IMG_8141.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_7496.jpeg
    IMG_7496.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7703.jpeg
    IMG_7703.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7471.jpeg
    IMG_7471.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7905.jpeg
    IMG_7905.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_7955.jpeg
    IMG_7955.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #84,327 of 89,008
Getting even more FOMO now that the Amsterdam meet is about to happen, will try and join next time something is arranged. Enjoy guys.

Got a busy coming weekend and time leftover will be focused on reviews for Kinera Verdandi and AüR Audio Alita, two very nice and musical sets. One bright and energetic, and another being warm and relaxed.

DSCF4649.jpg

DSCF4706.jpg

Mar 22, 2024 at 3:30 PM Post #84,328 of 89,008
Mjolnir & Ve X
(Mjolnir impression but it is actually VeX impression)

I am trying out the Lotoo Mjolnir and VeX pair thanks to @timeslip , who lent me these for few weeks.

IMG_7897_jpg.jpeg
IMG_7902.jpeg
IMG_7903.jpeg
IMG_7905_jpg.jpeg

When comparing the Lotoo Mjolnir (SD card mode, SanDisk Extreme) with the Ibasso Dx300max Ti (PW Orpheus shielding 4.4 IC) - Aroma A100TB amp stack:
  • Receiver: Flipears Astra IEM (with Azla Xelastec eartips) connected via an Eletech Aeneid 4.4mm cable(16 driver quadribrid, 1BC+1DD+10BA+4EST. Mine is a prototype. It will be launched soon, probably in this year?)
  • / Vision Ears VeX(stock VeX premium 4.4 cable, Azla Origin eartip) / Nostalgia Camelot(Eletech Raphael cable and new Symbio W tip) / Vision ears X Astell&Kern Aura(Azla SE1500 eartip, stock Nova 4.4 cable)
IMG_7998.jpeg
IMG_7997.jpeg
The Mjolnir exhibits zero white noise, while the A100TB has a very slight hiss. For the VeX, the white noise from the A100TB stack may be too much for some(okay for me). Overall, I believe the Dx300max Ti stack delivers 80-90% of the performance of the Mjolnir in terms of sound reproduction. The sound quality (SQ) of the Mjolnir is more effortless, fuller, and has a slightly larger soundstage. In comparison, the sound of the Dx300max Ti may feel slightly ‘artificial.’ The bass quality is tighter, with a denser music presentation, and is better shaped and more coherent in the Mjolnir.

IMG_7955.jpeg
However, the Dx300max Ti stack accentuates the high and low ends of the frequency response, adding more ‘salt and butter.’ The high end of the Dx300max Ti chain is more sparkly, and there’s a slight organic texture, likely from the nylon shielding material of the Orpheus interconnect. The uncolored, reference sound of the Mjolnir might feel slightly bland in comparison. This can be compensated for by pairing it with different IEMs, such as the VeX (with the stock VeX premium cable and Azla Origin), which are sufficiently airy, bassy, with Vision ears signature romantic lush mid, and very enjoyable.

IMG_7496.jpeg
Compared to the Vision Ears Aura (with the stock Nova 4.4), the Vision Ears VeX (with the stock cable) offers closer sound imaging and a delightful airy extension. There is zero hiss, even at medium gain, although I prefer low gain for a more natural (and longer) decay in IEMs. Indeed, the Mjolnir is an outstanding source. With the VeX, every music genre, including classical, was enjoyable when paired with the Mjolnir.

IMG_7699.jpeg
IMG_7471.jpeg
I believe the VeX pairs well with the Shanling M9+ as well, provided that a slight white noise is acceptable. The Aura and stock Nova exhibit less hiss. For a hiss-free experience, one could try the VeX with the Sony WM1Z M2, although it may not sound optimal(weak sound, smaller soundstage) probably due to its low driving power unless paired with the Chiron Nova cable. Even then, I might still prefer the M9+ with the stock VeX cable match, as the Sony chain seems to lack some dynamics.

IMG_7953.jpeg

The Nostalgia Camelot also paired well with the Mjolnir. I favored the Eletech Raphael over the stock Avalon cable, which I felt somewhat adding too much ‘dirtiness’ and did not highlight the Mjolnir's strengths—its clear and natural sound. The VeX, thanks to its stock cable, is superior for an airy extension feel, which is also a strong point of the Mjolnir. The Mjolnir boasts an excellent EQ with pre-made settings, allowing for the high frequency response or bass to be tailored to the listener's taste, when called.
IMG_7994.jpeg

In summary, the sound of the Mjolnir is akin to Lake Baikal: clear, immersive, and natural.

Could you compare the VE7 to the VE10 and Aura?

Mar 22, 2024 at 3:31 PM Post #84,329 of 89,008
IMG_7742.jpeg

Arrived in Amsterdam =]

Users who are viewing this thread

Back