The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 21, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #84,287 of 88,248
Water cooler I have a question. Has anyone tried any non-stock cable for the Anni 2023? If yes how did it go? Any cable recommendations?
The Pentaconn ear connectors make it a bit challenging to cable roll Anni. I recently picked up a Khanyayo (@doctorjuggles) Impi cable second hand that has ConX connectors and it's quickly become my go-to pairing with Anni. It's a graphene coated SPC wire. I hear it to yield a slightly tighter, more concise bass response compared to Martini. Fortunately, that's the only sonic difference I hear... Anni's robust midrange and smooth yet endless top end are unchanged to my ears. It's a fair bit more pliable, being a 4W construction, and is lighter to wear. Honestly, the ergonomic improvements alone are reason enough for me to stick with it over the Martini. I do like how substantial the Martini build is is but the Y-splitter is quite heavy and often times gives a pulling sensation on the ear hooks which becomes an annoyance during longer sessions and when moving about a bunch. No such issues with the lighter 4W cable.

1711068345123.png

Mar 21, 2024 at 9:18 PM Post #84,288 of 88,248
Water cooler I have a question. Has anyone tried any non-stock cable for the Anni 2023? If yes how did it go? Any cable recommendations?
I have been down this path so I can share some recommendations:
  • MTMT Audio has some nice options.
  • I own this one from NiceHCK - very nice. A bit bukly but very well-made.
  • If you have the stomach for it, Brise will make you a custom PentaconnEar cable.
  • Lavricables will also make cables. Not crazy price.
  • Finally Effect, Vortex and any other ConX-compatible cables will work. You just have to buy the PentaconnEar module.
I hope that helps. Good. luck.

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:27 PM Post #84,289 of 88,248
Gold brick Mk2 is the one I have because I like to use streaming services but mk1 is also incredible But you need a personal music library or else it’s a no go …
The option to bluetooth stream from a smartphone to MK1 is a later addition if one still wants to stream. so it's not strictly a personal music library only with MK1.

Mar 21, 2024 at 10:40 PM Post #84,290 of 88,248
VE Aura Impressions:

IMG_2580.jpg

I had enough time to listen to VE Aura. However something felt off. Sounding peaky (hearing considerably of treble on one end) so I waited to post impressions until it got measured by TGX:

6FDD9775-928C-4701-9984-4D26D7361839.jpg

He found that the right side had a DD that wasn't working.

Besides that, from the left side of the iem, I found it to sound more like the Phonix LE but going for a warm yet balanced approach. The tuning had me gravitate towards more polite music (Singer song writer, classical). Mids were the highlight. As for aggressive music like Metal, I yearned for more bass quantity and dynamics which an iem like Volur was suited better for.

Mar 21, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #84,292 of 88,248
VE Aura Impressions:

I had enough time to listen to VE Aura. However something felt off. Sounding peaky (hearing considerably of treble on one end) so I waited to post impressions until it got measured by TGX:

Besides that, from the left side of the iem, I found it to sound more like the Phonix LE but going for a warm yet balanced approach. The tuning had me gravitate towards more polite music (Singer song writer, classical). Mids were the highlight. As for aggressive music like Metal, I yearned for more bass quantity and dynamics which an iem like Volur was suited better for.
Little confused why post an impression of a broken set..😅 Aura is an absolute gem and deserving of a proper assessment

Mar 21, 2024 at 11:37 PM Post #84,293 of 88,248
Any increase in price for the Nightjar Vanguard with the Anni 2023 connectors? For the Vanguard does the 4 versus 8W make a difference?
I think Vanguard only comes in 2W and 4W. I’ve only tried the 4W.

You’d have to ask Chang if he can make Vanguard or any of his cables with different connectors. I used a 2-pin to Pentaconn ear adapter.

Mar 21, 2024 at 11:57 PM Post #84,294 of 88,248
Little confused why post an impression of a broken set..😅 Aura is an absolute gem and deserving of a proper assessment

Because people on this thread (including you) asked for my opinion and I am sharing my experience. Also the point of my post is that my impression is based off a faulty set and it's better that it is made aware before dozens of people form an impression of it.

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:01 AM Post #84,295 of 88,248
Hello, could someone who has heard both the Bonneville and Singuarity post a comparison between the two? Trying to decide between them as they are at similar price points.
Bonneville is a larger shell, Singularity is smaller. Both generate great sub bass and both are great for all around listening. I prefer Bonneville as I feel Singularity has a less exciting tuning, but both are excellent. I do think Bonneville is also one of the best deals going in our hobby.

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #84,296 of 88,248
Because people on this thread (including you) asked for my opinion and I am sharing my experience. Also the point of my post is that my impression is based off a faulty set and it's better that it is made aware before dozens of people form an impression of it.
That actually makes a lot of sense thank you for your impressions! Hopefully you can get that sorted out with your seller though that’s extremely unfortunate 😕

Last edited:
Mar 22, 2024 at 12:07 AM Post #84,297 of 88,248
VE Aura Impressions:

That's interesting as I heard the Aura about a month ago (or whenever @Rockwell75 was here the first time) and it really caught my interest but when I had the demo I had also just received my Bonneville. I also found that Aura a bit thin sounding and as a result didn't give it much of a listen before sending it along and chalked it up mostly to comparing to the Bonneville which had much more bass.. I guess that explains why I didn't really care for it when I liked it so much the first time. As I listen to much more mids centered music the DD would have been more of a timbre influence and as such it just sounded thin.

Mar 22, 2024 at 12:55 AM Post #84,298 of 88,248
Hope you get them customs soon. 🍺

Mar 22, 2024 at 1:36 AM Post #84,300 of 88,248

Users who are viewing this thread

Back