The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 19, 2024 at 10:58 AM Post #84,136 of 87,696
Mar 19, 2024 at 11:05 AM Post #84,137 of 87,696
The Creator is everything you want for a musical, thick and emotional listen. I am really considering this to be my one-and-done as I have absolutely no interest in a "technical" listen.
Totally agree with you.
I have the DC Ti which is, from my understanding, the custom version of the Creator since 1.5 years and it sound so good, so musical, timbre is just right, I'm never disappointed. And even if I was able to listen to other TOTL and was able to recognize their highly technical skills in some fields always find the DC Ti more pleasant, more cohesive, there is something like a real emotional link between this set and the music, they always do justice to the artist work IMO.

Mar 19, 2024 at 3:50 PM Post #84,138 of 87,696
Currently loving the WP900 with RS8 and a glass of wine - it’s a public holiday here today so wine is allowed 😂

@MatW - just occurred to me, can you bring 109 Pro on Saturday?! Or will you refuse as you’ve told me so many times to just buy a set 🤪

Perhaps you might be intrigued about this down the horizon... It was teased and shown at Canjam NYC

1710877501321.png

I could care less about brands, but I liked the pilgrim, and I think the annihilator is not a good item at all. It had no presence and such a lack of bass. It's one of the few iems I've tried and just taken out knowing I'm not going to like it after a couple minutes and switching a few tracks. I've tried it twice.

That's why this is a very subjective hobby.
If you tried Anni23 with the Cayin dongle then you didn't really try Anni23. It's one of the more power hungry IEM's out there and scales a lot.

Even most DAP's don't really push it, making it sound dull and limp with grainier treble and a very mid-centric BA timbre.

Of course, don't expect Volur bass, and probably not as satisfying as Bonneville either, but Anni23 to me is still high end quality in the bass.

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Mar 19, 2024 at 4:06 PM Post #84,139 of 87,696
Perhaps you might be intrigued about this down the horizon... It was teased and shown at Canjam NYC

1710877501321.png

If you tried Anni23 with the Cayin dongle then you didn't really try Anni23. It's one of the more power hungry IEM's out there and scales a lot.

Even most DAP's don't really push it, making it sound dull and limp with grainier treble and a very mid-centric BA timbre.

Of course, don't expect Volur bass, and probably not as satisfying as Bonneville either, but Anni23 to me is still high end quality in the bass.

I tried them out of the Go Blu, which is what I try everything out of. If it was a driving issue, it was the only IEM that had that issue, and I felt I had headroom. Ultimately I have a better source at home but it's not portable. Any IEM I buy is going to have to work on a truly portable DAC/Amp because I'm not carrying around a bulky DAP or amp for it. And any IEM I buy is not to just use at home at this point.

For me that portable solution is the Go Blu or H1B - I wasn't expecting Volur or Bonneville bass at all, I understand where they sit in that frequency range. I was purposely not expecting or looking for that. Like I said, I thought the Pilgrim sounded just fine in the bass. The Anni next to the Pilgrim was still a big difference to me.

Mar 19, 2024 at 4:20 PM Post #84,140 of 87,696
Why the rush? Jonathan's tracks are the only demo tracks allowed next weekend anyway :)

drftr
Uhh... is ... is there really absolutely no playtime reserved for, uhh maybe, any cover of My Way?

I've been trying to catch up to Watercoolers while listening to tunes. Then, this song came up and a force so powerful took control of me, closed the tablet, closed my eyes, and I listened. Just listened. A special sort of freedom could be felt at that point.
received_335923575617956.jpeg

Mar 19, 2024 at 5:18 PM Post #84,142 of 87,696
while the international version just a technically proficient IEM but not really different or outstanding among many other IEMs in its price range.
I don't know exactly what version I heard (from Mimic) but this is how I felt about it. I hope I can hear that Chinese version some day.

Mar 19, 2024 at 5:37 PM Post #84,144 of 87,696
There's actually a marketing tool. Perceived value is often driven by price.

You could literally make two watches exactly the same quality and label one a Seiko and another say an Omega or some other more prestigious brand, and sell the same thing for a ton more money. The same can go for different products within a same brand. The same can go for different products within the same brand. By no means am I saying cheaper is better and there are any set rules, I'm just saying that often price is merely a perception of value and quality, and thus a very effective marketing tool.

I think it was empire ears who was right near the Elysian table. We were just chatting about the event in general and what we've heard, I mentioned the pilgrim as being a surprise sound to me, the one guy behind the empire ears table was like oh man that's going to change the game for some folks, at that price.
I used to be a salesman for Craftmatic beds. Their "best" bed was $5,000, but it wasn't anything real different than the $1,500 one. I asked the company why they sell the $5,000 bed if it wasn't anything special and they told me there is a segment of the population that just want "the Best" (most expensive) and that was the bed for them. :k701smile:

Mar 19, 2024 at 5:41 PM Post #84,145 of 87,696
What is the shell and faceplate made from? Is the design final? Who will distribute outside US? Hifigo? Is it a direct upgrade from my Creative EP-630?
:deadhorse:

I’ll see if I can find some answers to these. The design is not final.

Great update. Looking forward to May! I can't find the comments by Leo on the potential changes to the Shell. Will those kind of awkward multiple layers of metal going away In favor of a smooth outer shell?

Yes, it is in regards to a slight adjustment for those multiple layers of metal on the faceplate.

Mar 19, 2024 at 5:42 PM Post #84,146 of 87,696
We are pleased to be running a US / EU tour featuring the Cleo II Octa and Fusion 1 for April / May.

Please sign up here by listing the IEMs you'd like to try them with if you are interested.

Mar 19, 2024 at 5:52 PM Post #84,147 of 87,696
I used to be a salesman for Craftmatic beds. Their "best" bed was $5,000, but it wasn't anything real different than the $1,500 one. I asked the company why they sell the $5,000 bed if it wasn't anything special and they told me there is a segment of the population that just want "the Best" (most expensive) and that was the bed for them. :k701smile:
A lot of psychology goes into product pricing. That $5,000 bed is also there to make the $1,500 model feel like a "bargain" by comparison.

Particularly in our hobby in which great sound cannot be measured, since graphs don't tell the full story - prices guide the perception of quality.

Mar 19, 2024 at 6:14 PM Post #84,148 of 87,696
I think it was a table saw. This company had 3 models base, med and topline. The base and med had good sales numbers but the top line was not doing well even though it was well-priced. So someone suggested they add a super-high-end saw with all the bells and whistles. This new saw had slow sales but the old top-line sales increased substantially because people now saw it as a good deal price-wise. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::upside_down:

Mar 19, 2024 at 6:30 PM Post #84,149 of 87,696
I guess I am using different definitions. When I hear the term "no bass", "anemic" and non-existent, I think there's no QUANTITY of bass. Not bass quality. I think Diva's bass is more resolving, but it also is sub-bass focused. Anni has more mid-bass. I think that has more to due with its lower note resolution compared to a more sub-bass focused IEM.
I’m not really a basshead but I like good and powerful bass. Each to their own and for me the Anni 23 doesn’t lack bass. Sometimes I prefer Annis bass over that of the GM, depending on mood and music.
My own bass-head tendencies are focussed very much on mid-bass, which is why I find Anni23 just so engaging and addictive. To me, sub-bass is good and all to create a larger sense of stage, especially height; but without enough mid-bass I'm left feeling kind of cold and get bored unless the IEM is doing something else to get my attention.

Anni sound ok, decent, maybe even fine with the lowly SR25 or Apple Dongle. But I pretty much only ever use it these days with either the R8 ii or one of my desktop amps to really get it to shine with a power and grandeur that is near un-matched at its price point. Bass-lite it is not.

Oddly I found Diva to also scale well with more power, despite being all-BA, wonder if that's an Elysian-design thing..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back