The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 10, 2024 at 5:51 AM Post #83,311 of 87,760
Trust me, the shows and events in China and Hong Kong are more challenging, I used to bring a pair of 3M PELTOR X5A with me when I want to do some critical listening in the show, it helped a lot.

1710061728478.png
Whoa, I didn't know that 3M are making a wireless headphone. How's it sound compared to Focal Bathys? 😜
Jokes aside that's a good idea IMO 👌

Mar 10, 2024 at 6:32 AM Post #83,312 of 87,760
So... at long last Questyle CMA18P is in the house :heart_eyes: thanks to Pierre at Headonist.fr

IMG_1832.jpeg
IMG_1833.jpeg

CMA18P features a beautiful build quality and such a sexy design with the view on the internal design 🤩 but maybe that's the nerd talking :nerd:

In terms of size I had seen pictures of CMA18P stacked with iPhone and wondered if the pic was a Max, and yes it's the iPhone 15 Pro Max here so it matches.
A smaller phone won't be as good an experience obviously...

I used a magsafe magnet with 3M tape fixed to the CMA which is to me such a handy way to stack it !
I wished I could magnet both ways as it would be slimmer but still very very convenient...

IMG_0002.jpeg

Now all this is good and all but how does it sound?

Well I'll cut to the chase and after a few hours with it out of the box I am very impressed by the SQ.

The stage is vast and imaging is precise, PRaT is top notch which makes it quite engaging and it’s not a colored source in USB mode. It’s reference done right in my book with plenty of authority down low and a lot of headroom as well. It's a very dynamic brand of sound with fast transients and dynamic range is quite impressive. Resolution is fairly impressive as well, with a clean black background. Questyle managed to avoid going the clinical road, it's really accurate and will reflect the pure nature of your gear, at least that's the impression I get from my trusted Elysium and DCA Stealth which in my collection are less organic than my usual stuff. So YMMV but you won't get a smoothed or relaxed presentation from the CMA18P : it's fast, clean and accurate and won't add or substract anything.

In BT mode you loose a bit of this with a smoother presentation with a touch of warmth but not a total signature change altogether… note that I obviously don't have APTX HD so there is that, but even in the weaker quality BT from the iPhone I do still get a lot from the CMA18P and aside from a slightly smoother and less punchy and resolved presentation honestly aside from cricital listening during a commute BT does the job very well and is more convenient than stacking which can be very handy so kudos for making this a feature ! Last but not least, I had initial worries about taping a magsafe magnet to the CMA for interference so I was not sure this would work out. But this baby is properly shielded as it doesn't even affect the BT connection :thumbsup:

IMG_0003.jpeg

So all in all I am so very happy with the purchase and very very impressed by the CMA18P.

I expected good stuff but that good? No... Maybe it's a bias since the CMA features AKM4493 but... well amplication plays such and important part as well...
I mean I started A/B with R8II and even... N30 and I must say this baby delivers quite the value at the asking price 🤩 Sure, I get more body from R8II but it's more of a different signature than performance bracket difference which honestly impresses me. Now N30 has a "soul" that well is on top of everything that the CMA18P can offer but honestly on technical fundamentals well the gap is not one might think it is (which is damn impressive considering the comparison).

I would even dare say that at this price point (well even twice the price) no DAP can compete... you get fantastic SQ and flawless technicalities and the amp section is something to behold... Now in my view this is one heck of a highly recommended from me to any audiophile looking for a clean, fast, dynamic reference source. You get 1W power at 32ohm which is nothing to sneeze at but also clearly you get quality current and we all know how important this is for multi driver and low impedance IEMs.

So hats off to Questyle for this little gem !!!

And maybe it's the geek in me but while I listen I often find myself looking at the circuit board with all this lights that give off a tubey vibe (signature does not but hell, I love it anyway).

IMG_1836.jpeg

Note : People from the Watercooler you'll get to audition it in Amsterdam :D

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 6:48 AM Post #83,313 of 87,760
Thanks, but I think I'm actually leaning more towards the Mentor.

I'd say the Z1R already plenty satisfies my bass needs.

I'm looking for something that's nicely balanced, while also more engaging and with better note weight than my Monarch MkII.

I think the Mentor fits those preferences nicely.

I just hope the sound synergises well with the golden brick. Hoping it's not too warm/thick sounding.
WM1ZM2 + Mentor combo gives the most humongous soundstage I have ever heard.

But if I were to be looking for an IEM to pair with the Gold Brick it would be the Trifecta.

YMMV

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:08 AM Post #83,315 of 87,760
I'm sure that combo would sound nice. However, I would like to keep things more portable.

Are there any other high end IEMS that would be driven sufficiently by just the golden brick alone?
Fir Rn6 and Multiverse Mentor are also on my radar.
I would always put the transducer first. The Annihilator is an awesome IEM. I don’t have the Sony but I would probably give the Annihilator a go. I pair it with several DAPs including the SP3K, which according to some can’t drive the Annihilator properly, but the combo sounds very good to me. 🤷🏼‍♂️ :)

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:16 AM Post #83,316 of 87,760
My IEM highlights of the CanJam where:
Noble Onyx (seriously considering buying this one)
FlipEars Aurora
New UM Mason FS
Pilgrim (the only problem, it has short stem, so not a great fit for me)

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:21 AM Post #83,318 of 87,760
My IEM highlights of the CanJam where:
Noble Onyx (seriously considering buying this one)
FlipEars Aurora
New UM Mason FS
Pilgrim (the only problem, it has short stem, so not a great fit for me)
Any more Onyx impressions?

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:26 AM Post #83,319 of 87,760
Did anyone demo the new Noble TOTL at CanJam???

Wait! Did I miss the Watercooler Special Sneak Preview link???

Don't even consider a different picture for the cover mate!

drftr

Do you mean the Onyx? If so, I heard it and I really love it. It is a bassy set. Reminds me a bit of Kublai Khan. I definitely like it more than Spartacus.

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:29 AM Post #83,321 of 87,760
Do you mean the Onyx? If so, I heard it and I really love it. It is a bassy set. Reminds me a bit of Kublai Khan. I definitely like it more than Spartacus.
Compared to KK are mids a touch warmer and treble a tad attenuated? I loved everything else of 'em!

drftr

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:33 AM Post #83,322 of 87,760
Compared to KK are mids a touch warmer and treble a tad attenuated? I loved everything else of 'em!

drftr
I don't know, but guess what? I have Kublai Khan with me. Let me check

Mar 10, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #83,324 of 87,760

Users who are viewing this thread

Back