The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 9, 2024 at 10:19 PM Post #83,281 of 88,893
Strange, I thought Elysian uses Sony family, specially DMP-Z1, to tune their IEM.
I have no clue honestly. If it was off the DMP-Z1, I don't consider it a DAP. So perhaps more specifically the Walkman series might be more apt for you.

You can't be serious.. 😕

Strange, because some reviewers have noted that the Annihilator is certainly somewhat source picky and difficult to drive, but did mention the WM1ZM2 had a good synergy with it...

Another source said that Elysian actually uses Sony daps exclusively (!) with their iems.

Besides that I've also seen some people on Headfi post photos of their wm1zm2 + Annihilator (the Golden combo ✨️).

So I was really hopeful that this combination would have a good synergy.
I might have to hold off on buying the Annihilator then... 🙁

Either way, I have contacted Elysian about this matter as well... Curious to see what they have to say about this.
I would think that the caveat with the Anni Gold Brick combo is that an external amp is certain to be involved. Sony Walkmans are not known for being exactly the best in terms of power for lower sensitivity, harder to drive iems.
I'm sure that combo would sound nice. However, I would like to keep things more portable.

Are there any other high end IEMS that would be driven sufficiently by just the golden brick alone?
Fir Rn6 and Multiverse Mentor are also on my radar.
MM and Rn6 are fine with Sony bricks.

Mar 9, 2024 at 10:21 PM Post #83,282 of 88,893
What a great event! It was wonderful to finally meet a few of the Coolers and to listen to some great IEMs on my list. Lots to love and more proof of how many great IEMs are available right now. Hard to pick a bad one.

I will admit that the show floor was a challenging environment for anything near critical listening for me. Still, a great time and opportunity to get a taste of some rare IEMs.
What about the mojo giveaway? Did someone manage to find you? 😁

Mar 9, 2024 at 10:56 PM Post #83,283 of 88,893
I'm sure that combo would sound nice. However, I would like to keep things more portable.

Are there any other high end IEMS that would be driven sufficiently by just the golden brick alone?
Pretty much most high end iems will be fine with the gold brick with plenty of headroom

Mar 9, 2024 at 11:32 PM Post #83,285 of 88,893
Well, I went to Canjam! But within like 10 minutes of being there, a panic attack started to set in and I had to leave(I have bad ptsd from the military, which sometimes makes it difficult for me to be around a lot of people in crowded places, unfortunately). I came back later when I was feeling better, hoping it had thinned out a bit(it had), but I only had like 30 minutes left in the show and a lot of tables were still locked down, so I didn't get to try anything I wanted to try going in, or chat with any of you guys. Pretty gutted honestly. Oh well. At least I didn't spend any money! Small victories...

The highlight of the show for me was probably talking to Bogdan of Fir Audio and telling him RN6 is the dopest thing I've ever heard. And I saw Crinacle! He looks just as charmingly cantankerous in person.

Hopefully some day I can enjoy these events like a normal person, but until then, maybe I will just get high as a kite first lol.

theintention said:
I would like to try the LSDD

8iolq4.jpg

To whoever found my Eletech Baroque tip...enjoy. I might have your Final E tip. Good trade kinda I guess hehe

Attachments

• 20240309_134846.jpg
    20240309_134846.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 11:35 PM Post #83,286 of 88,893
By "except a match for Singularity" do you mean how the TS-316 compares in tuning? I'm not fully following, sorry.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant! But remember, I only have two ears!
I own the TS-316 (last month or so) and tried the Singularity for the first time today. I'm not the best with comparisons - especially since my time with Singularity was limited and under show conditions. But here goes...

I think the Singularity was very transparent and agile - details from my Mojo 2, fed via optical from my iPhone, were coming through very clearly. The TS-316, by comparison, has a heavier "note weight". Therefore, I think the Singularity out resolves the TS-316.

Both have excellent extended bass - though I think the TS-316 is "bassier" and "heavier" - akin with that heavier "note weight". Def. not at FatFreq bass cannon levels though. This is not to say TS-316 is sloppy. It is just a tad bit thicker, while still being technically proficient and pretty resolving. However, Singularity based on my brief impressions is more refined. I really liked Singularity.

I'll also see if MusicTeck has Perpetua on hand. I haven't heard that one yet.
Very interesting point of view! I may not have given it the time that it needs but to my ears, Singularity is the bassier set of the two. I thought singularity was darker overall than Tim's socks. I also had a little time with Perpetua, and it was excellent, a more balanced sound than Singularity.

Mar 10, 2024 at 12:03 AM Post #83,287 of 88,893
Hey guys, my review of PW Audio's new Century Series flagship, The 1960s Mk II, is now online here.

1960s2_02.jpg

Did someone say baby Orphy?:sweat_smile:
Hey guys, my review of PW Audio's new Century Series flagship, The 1960s Mk II, is now online here.

1960s2_02.jpg

Did someone say baby Orphy?:sweat_smile:
Your great reviews are always pleasant and this is very well done 👍

Mar 10, 2024 at 12:21 AM Post #83,288 of 88,893

If you like absolutely high quality bass with a solid rest of the frequency, the Volur would be good to consider - anytime you consider the Rn6. Also you have the Z1R and the Volur is probably the only IEM that could be said to have slightly better bass than the Z1R, by some.

Mar 10, 2024 at 12:27 AM Post #83,289 of 88,893
Well, I went to Canjam! But within like 10 minutes of being there, a panic attack started to set in and I had to leave(I have bad ptsd from the military, which sometimes makes it difficult for me to be around a lot of people in crowded places, unfortunately). I came back later when I was feeling better, hoping it had thinned out a bit(it had), but I only had like 30 minutes left in the show and a lot of tables were still locked down, so I didn't get to try anything I wanted to try going in, or chat with any of you guys. Pretty gutted honestly. Oh well. At least I didn't spend any money! Small victories...

The highlight of the show for me was probably talking to Bogdan of Fir Audio and telling him RN6 is the dopest thing I've ever heard. And I saw Crinacle! He looks just as charmingly cantankerous in person.

Hopefully some day I can enjoy these events like a normal person, but until then, maybe I will just get high as a kite first lol.

8iolq4.jpg

To whoever found my Eletech Baroque tip...enjoy. I might have your Final E tip. Good trade kinda I guess hehe
I’m sorry to hear about your PTSD, do you think getting some coolers to bring their gear and you can do a smaller-scale audition in a small gathering setup? I don’t do well with crowded places & people too, and it would be presumptuous of me to say I can empathise. Hopefully you can enjoy a day at Canjam one day 🌻🍀

Mar 10, 2024 at 12:28 AM Post #83,290 of 88,893
Not sure if I should start a new thread for this or not so I thought I would ask this here. So currently I am using Apple AirPods (3rd gen) with my iPhone 13 when on the go. I just use Apple Music when out of the house. But I'm curious about getting something better. I'm unsure about IEMs cause I've long been worried about getting those rubber tips stuck in my ear canal. I feel like it would be difficult to find an IEM that fits my ears snuggly and comfortably. Either way what would those here suggest within $500 (Canadian)? When on the go I've only used Apple's EarPods and AirPods so I have no knowledge or experience with other earbuds or IEMs. I want something that is fairly balanced and neutral in the sound. Nothing too bass heavy which I find is the case with the AirPods. I don't care if they are wired as I have a lightning to 3.5mm dongle (non Apple). Thanks for any help.

Mar 10, 2024 at 12:34 AM Post #83,291 of 88,893
Listening to this tonight on the Bonneville and with every listen and every album the Bonneville continues to amaze and please.

From the thumping bass beats to the sub bass rumble and the ever difficult piano timbre and delicate treble decay.

I haven’t been this smitten by an iem in ages..

And tonight I finally broke down and bought a Cayin N7 again. Thanks @jaker782
I have regretted selling mine. I can’t wait to hear the Bonnevilles through it!

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 12:47 AM Post #83,292 of 88,893
Not sure if I should start a new thread for this or not so I thought I would ask this here. So currently I am using Apple AirPods (3rd gen) with my iPhone 13 when on the go. I just use Apple Music when out of the house. But I'm curious about getting something better. I'm unsure about IEMs cause I've long been worried about getting those rubber tips stuck in my ear canal. I feel like it would be difficult to find an IEM that fits my ears snuggly and comfortably. Either way what would those here suggest within $500 (Canadian)? When on the go I've only used Apple's EarPods and AirPods so I have no knowledge or experience with other earbuds or IEMs. I want something that is fairly balanced and neutral in the sound. Nothing too bass heavy which I find is the case with the AirPods. I don't care if they are wired as I have a lightning to 3.5mm dongle (non Apple). Thanks for any help.
I would maybe go for a Sennheiser ie600 .. it’s very small so you wouldn’t have a comfort issue and it’s a very balanced cohesive Hi-Rez listening experience at the price .. there are so many options, but this one is coming to my mind right now for what you’re asking.. if you want some thing that’s more of a classic resin shell with a good universal snug fit with good balance in the tuning try the xenns top

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 12:53 AM Post #83,293 of 88,893
If you like absolutely high quality bass with a solid rest of the frequency, the Volur would be good to consider - anytime you consider the Rn6. Also you have the Z1R and the Volur is probably the only IEM that could be said to have slightly better bass than the Z1R, by some.
Thanks, but I think I'm actually leaning more towards the Mentor.

I'd say the Z1R already plenty satisfies my bass needs.

I'm looking for something that's nicely balanced, while also more engaging and with better note weight than my Monarch MkII.

I think the Mentor fits those preferences nicely.

I just hope the sound synergises well with the golden brick. Hoping it's not too warm/thick sounding.

Mar 10, 2024 at 1:20 AM Post #83,294 of 88,893
I’m sorry to hear about your PTSD, do you think getting some coolers to bring their gear and you can do a smaller-scale audition in a small gathering setup? I don’t do well with crowded places & people too, and it would be presumptuous of me to say I can empathise. Hopefully you can enjoy a day at Canjam one day 🌻🍀

Thank you! Crowds can always be a bit of a gamble, although I am usually ok. But at Canjam you have a lot more people closely lingering near or behind you...nothing that can be done about it, nature of the beast. I don't blame anyone one bit. I just have to keep working. And there will be tons of meets and jams and whatnot going forward, presumably some smaller ones too, so it's no biggie.

It was still super badass to be at what felt like the Mecca of headphones. And even though I was feeling a certain kind of way, all the determined head bopping and source swapping made it obvious I was amongst mothers from another brother. Or however you're supposed to use that expression. Kindred spirits!

Except for that guy with a pancakes>waffles sticker on their gadget case. Gonna have to strongly disagree with that one.

MacMan31 said:

You could always try the Orivetti OD200. Pretty amazing as a total package for $200.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #83,295 of 88,893
Thanks, but I think I'm actually leaning more towards the Mentor.

I'd say the Z1R already plenty satisfies my bass needs.

I'm looking for something that's nicely balanced, while also more engaging and with better note weight than my Monarch MkII.

I think the Mentor fits those preferences nicely.

I just hope the sound synergises well with the golden brick. Hoping it's not too warm/thick sounding.

Though a little old now, you could give the VE8 a try. Very good synergy with the gold brick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back