The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 9, 2024 at 7:49 PM Post #83,266 of 89,519
IMG_4613.jpeg

Star of the show day one at can jam nyc for me 👌🎶💥

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 7:57 PM Post #83,267 of 89,519
There's been one person I've seen on here so far who's been able to compare the TS-316 and Singularity, so if anyone can get a chance to check out both, let me know how you feel about the two. The former is supposed to be pretty competitive with the latter despite being under half the price, and I'm almost inclined to think the Singularity is more akin to the MIROAK-II. More Project M impressions would be nice as well, if only because there still doesn't seem to be enough of a consensus on how treble-heavy or bass thin it is.
I own the TS-316 (last month or so) and tried the Singularity for the first time today. I'm not the best with comparisons - especially since my time with Singularity was limited and under show conditions. But here goes...

I think the Singularity was very transparent and agile - details from my Mojo 2, fed via optical from my iPhone, were coming through very clearly. The TS-316, by comparison, has a heavier "note weight". Therefore, I think the Singularity out resolves the TS-316.

Both have excellent extended bass - though I think the TS-316 is "bassier" and "heavier" - akin with that heavier "note weight". Def. not at FatFreq bass cannon levels though. This is not to say TS-316 is sloppy. It is just a tad bit thicker, while still being technically proficient and pretty resolving. However, Singularity based on my brief impressions is more refined. I really liked Singularity.

I'll also see if MusicTeck has Perpetua on hand. I haven't heard that one yet.

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:27 PM Post #83,268 of 89,519
any impressions of the Dunu Glacier?
The cable is maybe the most supple, most ergonomic, perfect weight and thickness I've used on an IEM maybe ever. I'm begging/petitioning/haranguing Dunu into selling it separately, possibly even as a dedicated run of different colors. Per usual, swappable ends. It's kevlar wrapped. Think the thickness of Code 23, the texture of pwaudio but with none of the memory or stiffness issues. Needless to say, I want it on every IEM I own.

The glacier themselves was...fine. I think Divinity is a more impressive IEM at not that much larger a price point.

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:36 PM Post #83,269 of 89,519
Nope, Anni fails the "Can I drive this properly on a Sony DAP" That's why I sold mine.
You can't be serious.. 😕

Strange, because some reviewers have noted that the Annihilator is certainly somewhat source picky and difficult to drive, but did mention the WM1ZM2 had a good synergy with it...

Another source said that Elysian actually uses Sony daps exclusively (!) with their iems.

Besides that I've also seen some people on Headfi post photos of their wm1zm2 + Annihilator (the Golden combo ✨️).

So I was really hopeful that this combination would have a good synergy.
I might have to hold off on buying the Annihilator then... 🙁

Either way, I have contacted Elysian about this matter as well... Curious to see what they have to say about this.

Mar 9, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #83,271 of 89,519
You can't be serious.. 😕

Strange, because some reviewers have noted that the Annihilator is certainly somewhat source picky and difficult to drive, but did mention the WM1ZM2 had a good synergy with it...

Another source said that Elysian actually uses Sony daps exclusively (!) with their iems.

Besides that I've also seen some people on Headfi post photos of their wm1zm2 + Annihilator (the Golden combo ✨️).

So I was really hopeful that this combination would have a good synergy.
I might have to hold off on buying the Annihilator then... 🙁

Either way, I have contacted Elysian about this matter as well... Curious to see what they have to say about this.
The gold brick has fantastic synergy with the anni It just scales better with amplifiers. The anni with mass kobo 475 attached to the gold brick almost made me crap myself today at Canjam 😮‍💨🔥

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #83,272 of 89,519
I've hit every booth I wanted to and then some. Out of everything I tried, a bunch of it was a mix of meh or very similar--with the sole exception of Fei Wan. That IEM hits pretty much every one of my happy points.

I tried the new UM flagship (which is mostly missable for me for several reasons), and without directly dunking on it, what I will say is that if you’d blind boxed me the Fei Wan and said that it was the new UM set, there's a part of me that would have reluctantly admitted "ok, I get why they're $8000+".

All that said: Thieaudio's Divinity 16 is performing well above it's price point. I can write off everything else at that table with ease, but far as I'm concerned, that's a $3000 set of IEMs wrapped in a $1249 package. Legitimately stunned that it's all BA.

I enjoyed the Fei Wan, as well. I really liked the Nuit, though. Between the Nuit and the Multiverse - those may have been my two favorite at the show. The micro details the Nuit delivered were impressive. The problem is, i now need to re-try the FatFreq Grand Maestro, Nightjar Crimson (liked the Singularity), UM Multiverse, UM Nuit and the Fei Wan in a more familiar setup and setting (my house).

Granted. I can't justify these 5k+ iems but relative to what we have now as well as my small collection. Some were very impressive. I would need to hunker down with the aforementioned to see if its a honey moon phase or not. Now to find $20,000. (;

Mar 9, 2024 at 9:09 PM Post #83,273 of 89,519
whats the driver config on the Pilgrim?

The cable is maybe the most supple, most ergonomic, perfect weight and thickness I've used on an IEM maybe ever. I'm begging/petitioning/haranguing Dunu into selling it separately, possibly even as a dedicated run of different colors. Per usual, swappable ends. It's kevlar wrapped. Think the thickness of Code 23, the texture of pwaudio but with none of the memory or stiffness issues. Needless to say, I want it on every IEM I own.

The glacier themselves was...fine. I think Divinity is a more impressive IEM at not that much larger a price point.
Dunu usually sells their cables seperately, would imagine once the shine wears off on the Glacier (heheh) they do the same. at least i hope so, cause i also want one lol.

Mar 9, 2024 at 9:29 PM Post #83,275 of 89,519
I too thought Pilgrim was a pleasant surprise at the Elysian booth... Especially when I heard the MSRP. Another impressive "budget" set that I almost didn't even try was the Timsok at the Musicteck booth. Thought that one had good bass impact and texture as well. You can get both for a total of $1K!

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 9:34 PM Post #83,276 of 89,519
Mar 9, 2024 at 9:38 PM Post #83,277 of 89,519
The gold brick has fantastic synergy with the anni It just scales better with amplifiers. The anni with mass kobo 475 attached to the gold brick almost made me crap myself today at Canjam 😮‍💨🔥
Hahaha....I was just going to say the same.
Brick + Kobo 475 + Anni - this should be a very good pairing.

Mar 9, 2024 at 9:47 PM Post #83,278 of 89,519
That should be a killer combo! Though I really wanna listen to the goldbrick with tsuranagi and anni…

Mar 9, 2024 at 10:01 PM Post #83,279 of 89,519
I'm sure that combo would sound nice. However, I would like to keep things more portable.

Are there any other high end IEMS that would be driven sufficiently by just the golden brick alone?
Fir Rn6 and Multiverse Mentor are also on my radar.

Mar 9, 2024 at 10:06 PM Post #83,280 of 89,519
What a great event! It was wonderful to finally meet a few of the Coolers and to listen to some great IEMs on my list. Lots to love and more proof of how many great IEMs are available right now. Hard to pick a bad one.

I will admit that the show floor was a challenging environment for anything near critical listening for me. Still, a great time and opportunity to get a taste of some rare IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back