The Watercooler -- Impressions, philosophical discussion and general banter. Index on first page. All welcome.
Mar 9, 2024 at 5:06 AM Post #83,206 of 87,839
So Canjam 2024 NYC is knocking on the door. I think some of the members or brand representatives are en route already.

I wish everyone all the best.

Mar 9, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #83,207 of 87,839
Friends - I am working on a single DD comparison video - can you remind me if I am missing anything in this list?

1. Singularity
  2. IE900
  3. Fir e12
  4. Dita Perpetua
  5. Turi TI
  6. HIFIMAN Svanar
  7. Final A8000
Acoustone HS2000MX Mk.III

Mar 9, 2024 at 6:23 AM Post #83,208 of 87,839
Sharing this post of mine from another thread, but I'm very interested in what you guys have to say about it.

"Just came up with this idea below about explaining graphs' significance and I'm deeply intrigued to hear if you guys agree with my best-up-to-date example of trying to explain graphs' significance.

Graphs are like lines of notes. Sure, you can learn to read those notes and hence figure out the melodical progression of the song. However, is that where the song's complexity ends? Is that the only thing that forms the song that's hiding behind these notes? Certainly not. Which instruments are playing? Vocals too? Male or female? How loud is each instrument playing? Where is it positioned? How is it captured in the recording? What sort of post-production has been done? List goes on. Very similar to graphs and their correspondence to the final produced sound of the IEMs, no?

Then, of course, to spice things up further and add another line of subjectivity, our perceived impression of the produced sound is a whole other subject we're still unable to tackle methodologically."

Mar 9, 2024 at 6:57 AM Post #83,209 of 87,839
Sharing this post of mine from another thread, but I'm very interested in what you guys have to say about it.

"Just came up with this idea below about explaining graphs' significance and I'm deeply intrigued to hear if you guys agree with my best-up-to-date example of trying to explain graphs' significance.

Graphs are like lines of notes. Sure, you can learn to read those notes and hence figure out the melodical progression of the song. However, is that where the song's complexity ends? Is that the only thing that forms the song that's hiding behind these notes? Certainly not. Which instruments are playing? Vocals too? Male or female? How loud is each instrument playing? Where is it positioned? How is it captured in the recording? What sort of post-production has been done? List goes on. Very similar to graphs and their correspondence to the final produced sound of the IEMs, no?

Then, of course, to spice things up further and add another line of subjectivity, our perceived impression of the produced sound is a whole other subject we're still unable to tackle methodologically."
Measurement for me is important in amp/DAP. It is a proof and validity that device has started on the right path. Now device voicing and the rest, is completely subjective and this is where headphone/IEM graphs is not something I care about.

One of my most used IEM is Cardas EM5813, lot of people dislike it, it measure bad, rolled off high etc, but I somehow really enjoy listening to it. I bought it three times (it died on me three times!).

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:08 AM Post #83,210 of 87,839
Something that I don’t think has been discussed on this forum. In fact, I think it was pretty much unheard of in the NA region up until its release now. The response from the Asian market on these were a resounding “yes, please”! The sterling silver version was only to be a demo unit without a commercial release, but due to overwhelmingly positive response, it was made available for purchase.
IMG_1257.png

Mar 9, 2024 at 8:38 AM Post #83,211 of 87,839

I think the comparison between an IEM graph and a lead sheet is a good one, but I think it's possible to go even deeper into that analogy than you have here. Lead sheets aren't just notes on a page, usually. They'll also denote what instrument is playing (down to the cymbal ornamentation, even, on drum sheets). They'll indicate dynamic cues like accents, crescendos and decrescendos, or temporal ones like ritardandos and rallentados. They'll tell you the chords over which the melody's playing, the tempo at which everything's running, etc. So, you can paint a decent picture if the lead sheet is detailed enough. Similarly, on a graph, you can also glean how forward instruments are based on the prominence of the upper-mids, or how airy and clear it's gonna be based on treble extension, for example. So, I reckon graphs can tell you more than just, say, 10% or 20% of an IEM.

When it comes to the following questions:

How is it captured in the recording? What sort of post-production has been done?

I think that's more applicable when you're looking at a specs sheet, rather than an IEM graph. For example, you see that an IEM has a DD, 6x BAs and 4x ESTs. You can then ask the very questions you've posed above. How have their sounds been captured and integrated? What kind of post-production (dampers, acoustic chambers, sound tube shenanigans, etc.) have they undergone? I think that's the more apt analogy. Either way, it's probably one of the stronger illustrations I've seen for an IEM measurement. :thumbsup:

Something that I don’t think has been discussed on this forum. In fact, I think it was pretty much unheard of in the NA region up until its release now. The response from the Asian market on these were a resounding “yes, please”! The sterling silver version was only to be a demo unit without a commercial release, but due to overwhelmingly positive response, it was made available for purchase.
I posted impressions of the Artha and Aurora some time ago when I heard them in Hong Kong. Let's just say I wasn't too impressed with either of them. For their respective prices, they were fine technically. I just didn't like their strongly-colored tunings. I believe one had a strong V, while the other had a strong W. 'Not my cup of tea.

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 9:24 AM Post #83,212 of 87,839
Mar 9, 2024 at 10:34 AM Post #83,213 of 87,839
Watercooler 2023 IEMs of the year Nightjar Singularity and Fir Rn6

IMG_2394.jpeg

IMG_2397.jpeg

Mar 9, 2024 at 10:44 AM Post #83,215 of 87,839
On my way to canjam from lovely Jersey. The sun is shining, the birds are singing, and just look at that lovely weather
17099990397341520927980224009375.jpg

Mar 9, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #83,216 of 87,839
Early show highlight for me. Characteristic Elysian magic up top, best (imho) bass quality I’ve heard yet in an Elysian IEM…Gaea-esque with more meat in the lower mids/midbass and less energy in the upper mids. I want.

8DA96390-A85A-427F-809A-5733746D886B.jpeg

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2024 at 11:16 AM Post #83,218 of 87,839
Early show highlight for me. Characteristic Elysian magic up top, best (imho) bass quality I’ve heard yet in an Elysian IEM…Gaea-esque with more meat in the lower mids/midbass and less energy in the upper mids. I want.

8DA96390-A85A-427F-809A-5733746D886B.jpeg
Is it the Pilgrim or something else?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back